Cosmere Board Games, Anyone?

@Channelknight Fadran I'm just a hobbyist when it comes to game design, and there are many possible ways and many genres to do, but I think the game that would be a success and the game that I'd be most excited to play and work on is a game with a focus on developing a single character you play through a longer campaign with semi-legacy features. It can really work well with the setting (collecting equipment, shards, allies, bonding a spren and finally progressing through the ranks of Radiance. The game would naturally be co-op.

A gameplay loop of 2 phases comes to mind, preparation and combat. Preparation or better called JOURNEY phase would be when players do what they can to carve their own experience in the game, make their builds, recover from setbacks, traveling through Roshar, etc. And combat would have to be a polished and streamlined experience, with little dice rolling or no rolling at all - thus minimizing RNG. This is not a place where they test their luck, but a place where their problem solving and their builds (bonds, equipment, skills, etc.) are tested.

I wouldn't try to go too fancy on the story, probably just some "chapter" style / event cards during Journey phase, and similar, since this medium cant really compare to books, but a little bit of story to give flavor to the Journey is for sure what we need. This is the part where legacy aspect would be introduced. Thematically, the game could be set in Roshar, during one of the Desolations before Stormlight Archive time. Also, by decreasing the accent on story, and by limiting how much story is given to player(s) in terms of actual word count that they (have to?) go through, and instead giving them a "sandbox" experience, they create their own story, and thus the replayability is greatly increased. Starting a fresh campaign after a completed one would be a new / next Desolation. Players' performance in previous campaigns (Desolations) would influence the difficulty of the next one through the aforementioned semi-legacy aspect.

Wow, I wasn't planning on writing a text wall. What do you guys think? :D

• 1 year later...

I love the idea of Cosmere board games - it's always great to see fandoms expanding into new gaming areas. I completely agree that board games can be much more accessible than tabletop RPGs, and they can still be just as fun and engaging. Have you considered incorporating puzzles into your board games?

Stormlight Archives: The Desolations board game or smth.

10 Playable characters (The heralds), each with variable powers.

Difficulty is based on how close it takes place to the "Final" Desolation.

Something something, various fused in a stack, you have to defeat them all to win, stack size based on player count?

Perhaps incorporate player death somehow, gives a bonus of some kind?

That's about as far as I've gotten.

On 01.03.2023 at 5:55 PM, dylanbalfour said:

I love the idea of Cosmere board games - it's always great to see fandoms expanding into new gaming areas. I completely agree that board games can be much more accessible than tabletop RPGs, and they can still be just as fun and engaging. Have you considered incorporating puzzles into your board games? For example, including a jigsaw puzzle element as part of a quest or challenge within the game could be interesting and unique. Plus, it could add an extra layer of difficulty and complexity to the game, making it even more exciting. Anyway, I think it's great that you're exploring these possibilities for Cosmere games, and I hope you find other people who are just as enthusiastic about it as you are!