Cosmere Board Games, Anyone?

22 minutes ago, EXPERIENCE said:

Which one would be the equivalent of boardwalk? Is Roshar the most powerful?

I think probably, yeah, but there doesn’t have to be a direct correlation to power. 

I found a blank board template and am making one now :) 

Here's where the Stormlight Archives BG is at:

• The Board is a Map of Roshar

• Every player receives a random Knight Radiant card, and the spren card to match it (we have these fleshed out)

• In order to do more oaths and get more power, a player must get and spend Oathpoints

• One way to get Oathpoints is by doing a thing described on your Spren card (we don't have this fleshed out)

• Another way is to complete an Achievement Card (all sorts of things can be on these, from "kill a chull" to "turn a stick into fire." I AM STICK!)

• Item Cards: Each item card has its name, cost, ability, picture, and description on it (I made some sample cards)

• Types of item cards: Weapons, Armor, Fabrials, and Misc.

• You can visit the Nightwatcher to choose a Boon card and a Bane card (These aren't fleshed yet)

• Spheres (as reversible cardboard pieces) hold stormlight, which can be used in accordance to various surges and fabrials (This is pretty basic, so fleshing isn't quite as required)

• The Highstorm comes at the end of every round, refilling dun spheres with stormlight & doing something detrimental to people outside during it (We don't exactly have that fleshed out either, but we're thinking a Catan 7+ cards kind of thing).

• The Everstorm comes later in the game, but occurs as often as the Highstorm (We don't exactly know what it does, though).

• There’s going to be a semi-complicated combat system, but the details haven’t been fleshed out yet

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

• Every player receives a random Knight Radiant card, and the spren card to match it (we have these fleshed out)

• In order to do more oaths and get more power, a player must get and spend Oathpoints

• One way to get Oathpoints is by doing a thing described on your Spren card (we don't have this fleshed out)

• Another way is to complete an Achievement Card (all sorts of things can be on these, from "kill a chull" to "turn a stick into fire." I AM STICK!)

• Item Cards: Each item card has its name, cost, ability, picture, and description on it (I made some sample cards)

• You can visit the Nightwatcher to choose a Boon card and a Bane card (These aren't fleshed yet)

• Spheres (as reversible cardboard pieces) hold stormlight, which can be used in accordance to various surges and fabrials (This is pretty basic, so fleshing isn't quite as required)

• The Highstorm comes at the end of every round, refilling dun spheres with stormlight & doing something detrimental to people outside during it (We don't exactly have that fleshed out either, but we're thinking a Catan 7+ cards kind of thing).

• The Everstorm comes later in the game, but occurs as often as the Highstorm (We don't exactly know what it does, though).

• There’s going to be a semi-complicated combat system, but the details haven’t been fleshed out yet

What about a sub-map on the shattered plains in addition to the world map of Roshar?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I love making board games, count me in!

If we're doing a system where there is only one of each faction, I encourage you to check out Root for inspiration. Each faction plays using entirely separate mechanics, and they still somehow mesh together really well. Idle thought, but if this game ever gets into the later stages of development, maybe someone who's good at art could draw the cards in the style of Shallan's notes or something.

On 3/23/2020 at 10:22 AM, Channelknight Fadran said:

There actually IS a Stormlight Archive board game.... 

https://www.brotherwisegames.com/stormlight

5 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

EXCUSEZ-MOI???? IT ALREADY EXISTS?

*Composes self*

Frick.

Yeah, I "got it" from my brother for my birthday, but it didn't ship on time, and he lives away from home, so I haven't received it yet. I am dying with anticipation.

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, TimyHids said:

I hope your "invention" will pull me out of hibernation. I've only been doing jigsaw puzzles for a very long time. I need to urgently return to board games, otherwise, I will lose shape.

First of all: necroing is kinda against the rules, but that's scudding okay, because I'm okay with bringing this thread back.

Second of all: Stormlight Call to Adventure does exist. I have it now and it's pretty darned fun.

Third of all: But who cares? We're totally gonna make a Cosmere Board Game and NOBODY CAN STOP ME BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

@Channelknight Fadran I am an avid (board) gamer and I create them for a living! Primarily art direction and illustration and I have experience in kickstarting games so I am definitely interested. As soon as I've read the books I bought Stormlight Call to Adventure, and it is an okay game. Basically it is a Stormlight archive port / skin for the "rune rolling" game Call to Adventure.

I think the series deserves a standalone, flashed out real RPG, and there should be a market for it! It ultimately depends on Brandon though.