Frozen 2 and Oathbringer (SPOILERS FOR FROZEN 2 AND OATHBRINGER)

balletdragon

So I recently watched Frozen 2 and I could not help but find a deep similarity between the two pieces. The first thing that I notice is that in both works the main characters have to contend and struggle with the failings of their ancestors. In Frozen 2 Anna and Elsa find out that the inexplicable stories their father was told are actually very clearly explained by their grandfathers greed. This to me ran parallel to the issue brought up by the Eila Stele. In both of these instances the stories the main characters have been raised on are not so much an explanation of history as a placation of it. Each of these groups must then go about trying to make it right too.

The other really huge point that I see in both of these books is the influences of mental health, and the ways that we see them overcome it, particularly with regard to Anna and Dalinar. After some really sad things happen and when all seems lost (I am trying to be vague just for good measure) Anna sings a solo song called "The Next Right Thing." This song begins as a soliloquy of despair but eventually transitions into one of determination. The opening verses reflect a state of mind that virtually every stormlight character has experienced (i'm inclined to say that everyone has at some point in their life) in that it feels like everything that has been overtaking you is crashing in. As the song continues she begins to recognize the idea that even when it seems everything you knew was over the only thing to do is to take the next step and do the next right thing. Although Dalinar's book has the luxury of being retrospective in its nature, both the book and the song resonate with the ideals of perseverance and strength that make these characters incredibly compelling to me.

The last idea that I am thinking about after meditating on this is whether these characters will follow a similar path or not. In the climax of the film, Anna makes the choice to rectify her grandfathers wrongs and in doing so causes the destruction of her own kingdom. In this regard she takes it upon herself to make reparations towards the people of the forest. While I believe that the story Sanderson has woven is certainly more complicated, eventually the coalition of humans will have to acknowledged that it was the knights radiant that committed a mass genocide and enslavement. I wonder of we will be seeing anyone taking it upon themselves to make reparations for this particular act.

Theres some overlap in archetypes, I suppose, but that could be said of most fantasy.  

The new generation has to save the world from an evil set in motion by past misdeeds- they're helped by a few mentors/leaders/some ancient trurh until they come into their own. 

Major spoilers for Frozen 2

So, here's the question. Did Anna do the right thing, or more importantly to this page, Would it be the right thing for the humans to give the world back the the singers? At first I think most of us want to say yes. We must right the ancient wrongs of our ancestors and such. But is that truly correct? Is it fair to punish a generation because of the misdeeds of their ancestors? I say no. No one can be held accountable for something that their ancestors did. Sometimes in these stories to right an ancient tragedy, you create a modern one. We haven't seen what they've proposed to make amends with the singers, so we can't analyze whether it's morally right or wrong. As a parralel though we can analyze what Anna did. If Elsa hadn't stopped the flood it would have destroyed their city. Now, this seemed to be the right thing to Anna, but what about the people of that city? What about the blacksmith who has his forge and all his toopls and materials swept away? What about the farmer who has painstakingly built his house form the ground up and toiled for years over his land to make it into good farmland? We could go on and on, but in the end you what Anna would have done would basically punish an entire country for something their king did before many of them were even born. I think this is completely unfair and I really hope sanderson doesn't do something similar. 

• Chaos locked this topic