Robinski - 200320 - TCC Chapter 1D (29) - 5321 words (LVG)

Robinski

10 hours ago, Robinski said:

Yup. I'm happy to go that way, of making him stronger, and having DM still alive gives me a subject that he can display his terrible might on for the others to see.

The second failsafe is a great idea. There is a slight snag, in that N has been able to operate digitally basically thorough the entire story. Still, I think there is a mechanism that will work. Much obliged for the suggestion, it's very helpful :) 

A slight snag, but nothing that you can't find a workaround for. Maybe N can only 'get online' through network signals that reach him. He's far underground in a facility in the middle of nowhere in northern Canada. If there even is internet/network coverage in the area, it might not reach him underground, so he instead has to piggyback on the facility's internal network to reach the wider internet to be able to operate digitally across the world. Perhaps his captors think their network secure against him, or that if he's able to reach out that his influence is limited. They and DM wouldn't know how far his influence has spread until the end. The failsafe could be something like a NEMP that knocks out the technology of the facility, so there's nothing close for him to interface with. It doesn't even originally have to be a failsafe against N - it might be just be a digital self-destruct of the facility should they have to cover up what they've been doing there. Regardless, with such as failsafe N would have to get out of the facility to be able to reach another network, like say that of a military cordon around the facility. 

Looking forward to reading what you're going to go with :)

On 4/10/2020 at 3:36 AM, Robinski said:

.. I've just had a great notion. HOW ABOUT THIS: N is set up in this version to be a physical threat, and while he appears that way in the first instance, what if in fact he was actually physically very weak from his long incarceration? He tries to kill Q's companions, not Q, deliberately not Q, because he wants Q to kill him. When the droids are NMP'd and it's just down to N himself, he tries to physically attack them but he is weak, and pathetic. There's no need to NMP him the second time, Q is able to fend him off physically, but he keeps coming and eventually manages to trick M into shooting him, even though there was no real danger of him being able to choke Q.

I think this could work. It would give M a better reason to shoot. 

The story would really need to double down on why he wants Q to be the one kill him though. And show his disapointment in the compromise of getting M to do it instead. 

It seems like you could really give a great emotional payoff with the idea you outlined. :-) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/04/2020 at 9:34 PM, Sarah B said:

I think this could work. It would give M a better reason to shoot. 

The story would really need to double down on why he wants Q to be the one kill him though. And show his disapointment in the compromise of getting M to do it instead. 

It seems like you could really give a great emotional payoff with the idea you outlined. :-) 

Cool. Thanks :)  Yeah, I'm contemplating some fairly significant changes now, so I'll let them mature for a few weeks and see how I feel when I come back to it.