The Wind's Pleasure (Piano Solo) - Work In Progress

Spockledorf

• 3 weeks later...

@Nameless To me, it feels almost like a 'pirate' song--and I tried to make the music mimic waves! (you can see them if you try hard enough). And yes, I played it. :D Thank you!

@EXPERIENCE This is still in my "rough draft" stage, so sorry--no music yet. But I'll try and write it down soon. I usually write it into Musescore (a sheet music program where you can make a share scores) while playing small sections on a piano, but I probably won't get that done until I have access to a piano again (sooner than later, hopefully). 

So I really like the theme. A couple things I have to say.

-It seems a little repetitive

-I think that the start and end should be the same, but maybe add a little more crazyness in the middle for the high storm.(That is if you want that). I think that would make the song even better.

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this, I have played piano for half my life (I'm 14 years old) and have attempted to write a few songs before, with minimal success. I can see the theme you went for well. You should go ahead and post the sheet music when it's done, I would definitely try it out.

• 3 weeks later...

I see waves on a flowing (but not heavy) sea. The music takes me away from the green and lovely shore out to sea and into a deeper blue water. The swells increase in size and frequency, the light plays across the water as it reflects off the spray from the ship's bow. The ship handles the heavy sea well through the lower tone in the middle of the song, and as the voyage concludes with a lighter tone, I feel that more story awaits. The music is very nice. Light and cheery at the start, and while the lower octave work is nice, I would suggest that you explore some variance on the darker themes hinted at. The return to the earliest theme is a welcome and beautiful transition. All in all, I very much enjoyed it. As a rough draft, you should be proud. I hope you continue it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven’t read Words of Radiance yet and I don’t know whether that makes my feedback more or less helpful, but somehow this song made me think of a flashback sequence? Like it starts out with someone (Tozbek?) in old age, looking at their ship wistfully and thinking about younger days when they went on adventures at sea. Then in the middle it flashes back to that youth, showing all the adventures and thrills they had. Then at the end it goes back to the present, where the person is now too old to go on adventures like that anymore, and they’re slightly sad but ultimately at peace with it.

I don’t know how much that actually matches with what’s in the book or what you were going for, but this was really beautiful! I’d definitely also be interested in sheet music.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone! Thank you for all the amazing feedback! :D I haven't been to the shard in far too long a time...

Update for sheet music @FriarFritz @Cynicalwindmill @GoWibble @Trentolio @Truthwatch3r @Matrim's Dice @Experience, I typically start on it once I am finished, but it seems that many are interested in having it as soon as possible ;) so my goal is to post whatever I have for "The Wind's Pleasure" by this Saturday. (Meaning, I'm saying this so I get it done, so feel free to message me and hound me to get it done :D)  

@BringerOfLight yes, I've considered writing for Hoid's stories. What holds me back is that I don't want to create a piece that wouldn't match nor live up to the stories, I feel I'm not quite ready for that... As for the different instruments, I can play the piano but nothing else really. Though I currently have an electric keyboard, and I could make it a flute, I guess... :) 

@FriarFritz I written a lot of little things; a pattern here, a pattern there... (ignore the accidental pun) I post some of my work to the 17th shard, but not all of it ;) You can find me at @spockledorf.piano on Instagram

Edited by Spock

I've FINALLY started a musescore file @FriarFritz @Cynicalwindmill @GoWibble @Trentolio @Truthwatch3r @Matrim's Dice @Experience, here is the beginning. (Yay! :D)5f1f7694a9b49_Windspleasuresnip1.thumb.png.d4c618bb0ed2154ddecd0a3d237f9321.png

The .mscz file is here if you're interested:The_Wind's_Pleasure.mscz

Edited by Spock

13 hours ago, Spock said:

(I don't know why I made the rhythms so odd, it made it difficult to put it into a score... oh well)

(It's an old technique that doesn't have a name as far as I know. It's when you play your melody off-beat, which makes it catchy. Dunno how it works; they do it a lot in video game music)

On 7/28/2020 at 9:35 AM, Channelknight Fadran said:

(It's an old technique that doesn't have a name as far as I know. It's when you play your melody off-beat, which makes it catchy. Dunno how it works; they do it a lot in video game music)

Syncopation? 

• 1 month later...