On the breaking of Honor

DiePie

<Mistborn Spoilers>

Spoiler

So in Mistborn: Secret History it is revealed that Fuzz (I can call him that, right?) gave up his mind to create a prison for Ati. While it did trap Ati, the prison wasn't perfect and it left fuzz with a decreased mental capacity, and when the power in the well of ascension was released, his mind (and cognitive form) began to unravel further.

This (trapping a shard for a period of time) however, isn't a unique occurrence in the Cosmere. Honor used the Oathpact to limit Odium's influence on Roshar.

What I'm proposing is that what Tarnavast did to Rayse is the same thing that Leras did to Ati, using cognitive force concentrated in a physical form to hold the power of a shard, however instead of using his own cognitive aspect, he used 10 Heralds instead. Every 1024 years the well of ascension would fill with investiture, what I'm saying is the sort of outlet to Ati's power, stopping the whole system from breaking by using the excess. Tarnavast however, didn't create such a system, and instead used humans (shored up with a little of his own power) to prevent Rayse from escaping his prison. Since humans work different to Shards however, the Heralds had to physically be at the site of the prison, and so could be broken by Odium (creating the Desolations).

2 hours ago, DiePie said:

<Mistborn Spoilers>

Reveal hidden contents

So in Mistborn: Secret History it is revealed that Fuzz (I can call him that, right?) gave up his mind to create a prison for Ati. While it did trap Ati, the prison wasn't perfect and it left fuzz with a decreased mental capacity, and when the power in the well of ascension was released, his mind (and cognitive form) began to unravel further.

This (trapping a shard for a period of time) however, isn't a unique occurrence in the Cosmere. Honor used the Oathpact to limit Odium's influence on Roshar.

What I'm proposing is that what Tarnavast did to Rayse is the same thing that Leras did to Ati, using cognitive force concentrated in a physical form to hold the power of a shard, however instead of using his own cognitive aspect, he used 10 Heralds instead. Every 1024 years the well of ascension would fill with investiture, what I'm saying is the sort of outlet to Ati's power, stopping the whole system from breaking by using the excess. Tarnavast however, didn't create such a system, and instead used humans (shored up with a little of his own power) to prevent Rayse from escaping his prison. Since humans work different to Shards however, the Heralds had to physically be at the site of the prison, and so could be broken by Odium (creating the Desolations).

While Honor might have done something like what Leras did, the Oathpact came later, and didn't involve Odium at all. The Oathpact was the Heralds' solution to the problem of the Fused, binding them to Braize.

Also, Odium is bound by the power of both Honor and Cultivation.

THEY ARE THE SPREN OF PARSHMEN LONG DEAD. THEY ARE THEIR KINGS, THEIR LIGHTEYES, THEIR VALIANT SOLDIERS FROM LONG, LONG AGO. THE PROCESS IS NOT EASY ON THEM. SOME OF THESE SPREN ARE MERE FORCES NOW, ANIMALISTIC, FRAGMENTS OF MINDS GIVEN POWER BY ODIUM. OTHERS ARE MORE … AWAKE.EACH REBIRTH FURTHER INJURES THEIR MINDS.

THEY ARE REBORN USING THE BODIES OF PARSHMEN TO BECOME THE FUSED. AND EVEN BEFORE THE FUSED LEARNED TO COMMAND THE SURGES, MEN COULD NOT FIGHT THEM. HUMANS COULD NEVER WIN WHEN THE CREATURES THEY KILLED WERE REBORN EACH TIME THEY WERE SLAIN. AND SO, THE OATHPACT.

“Ten people,” Dalinar said. “Five male, five female.” He looked at the swords. “They stopped this?”

THEY GAVE THEMSELVES UP. AS ODIUM IS SEALED BY THE POWERS OF HONOR AND CULTIVATION, YOUR HERALDS SEALED THE SPREN OF THE DEAD INTO THE PLACE YOU CALL DAMNATION.THE HERALDS WENT TO HONOR, AND HE GAVE THEM THIS RIGHT, THIS OATH. THEY THOUGHT IT WOULD END THE WAR FOREVER. BUT THEY WERE WRONG. HONOR WAS WRONG.

9 minutes ago, RShara said:

While Honor might have done something like what Leras did, the Oathpact came later, and didn't involve Odium at all. The Oathpact was the Heralds' solution to the problem of the Fused, binding them to Braize.

Also, Odium is bound by the power of both Honor and Cultivation.

damnation, I guess my theory is switched to Odium's investiture in the Fused rather than Odium itself.

Though the other thing I somehow completely forgot to mention (and is half the reason I posted this), is that when 9 of the heralds stopped honoring the Oathpact, it would make sense that the required cognitive power would suck in some of Tarnavast's mind to fill the empty space (since his investiture in the pact would create a connection to him), and this could reason that he started to go insane (sort of like Leras).

2 hours ago, DiePie said:

Though the other thing I somehow completely forgot to mention (and is half the reason I posted this), is that when 9 of the heralds stopped honoring the Oathpact, it would make sense that the required cognitive power would suck in some of Tarnavast's mind to fill the empty space (since his investiture in the pact would create a connection to him), and this could reason that he started to go insane (sort of like Leras).

I suppose but it also could be that the strain just increased on Taln(dude really is the bearer of all agonies).

• Chaos locked this topic