The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints corner

5 minutes ago, Kajsa :) said:

I just got called to be Young Womens secretary and I don't know how to do it... does anybody have any tips?

Ask your Bishop what the duties associated with your calling are.  This is best done in an email, so you can get a written response that's easy to save and refer back to later.  Once you have that, talk with your YW President and say something along the lines of, "the Bishop says this is what I'm supposed to be doing as secretary.  What are the things I should focus on, that you need the most help with?"

Once you know what you're supposed to be doing, get to work.  Keep the basic Gospel principles of action in mind:

• come up with a plan, then pray for confirmation (D&C 9:8-9)
  • liken the scriptures unto yourself for guidance in relevant situations (1 Nephi 19:23)
  • love is the fulfilling of the law (Romans 13:10)

2 minutes ago, Mason Wheeler said:

Ask your Bishop what the duties associated with your calling are.  This is best done in an email, so you can get a written response that's easy to save and refer back to later.  Once you have that, talk with your YW President and say something along the lines of, "the Bishop says this is what I'm supposed to be doing as secretary.  What are the things I should focus on, that you need the most help with?"

Once you know what you're supposed to be doing, get to work.  Keep the basic Gospel principles of action in mind:

• come up with a plan, then pray for confirmation (D&C 9:8-9)
  • liken the scriptures unto yourself for guidance in relevant situations (1 Nephi 19:23)
  • love is the fulfilling of the law (Romans 13:10)

Thank you! I'll try that and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Kajsa :) said:

Hi! I'm kinda newish-ish on the Shard and I just stumbled across this page...

I just got called to be Young Womens secretary and I don't know how to do it... does anybody have any tips?

If the president asks you to do something, do it. Ask for help or more info if you want, but do it.

Hello! Fellow secretary here. I don't know how your presidency runs things, but you're basically the third councilor with a more administrative leaning. Sit in on meetings, take notes, coordinate class attendance, that kind of thing.  (The general handbook's also a pretty good resource!)

Edited by Slowswift

On 1/13/2023 at 7:43 AM, Kajsa :) said:

Hi! I'm kinda newish-ish on the Shard and I just stumbled across this page...

Don't forget to take attendance on the YW days!

Also. I was reading scriptures today and happened across Romans 8:38-39.

And oh, my gosh, that is an amazing, amazing scripture. 

That's a contender for favorite scripture.

Edited by Shallan Stormblessed

2 hours ago, Shallan Stormblessed said:

Don't forget to take attendance on the YW days!

Also. I was reading scriptures today and happened across Romans 8:38-39.

And oh, my gosh, that is an amazing, amazing scripture. 

That's a contender for favorite scripture.

Ya that is a great verse, up there competing for one of my favorite

One time at a signing, I asked Brandon how to deal with writer's block.  He said, "have ninjas suddenly attack.  Write something ridiculous just to get something out there, get the ball rolling, and then once words are flowing again you can come back and fix it."

While I don't recommend putting a ninja attack into a talk for church, the basic principle remains sound.

2 hours ago, Mason Wheeler said:

One time at a signing, I asked Brandon how to deal with writer's block.  He said, "have ninjas suddenly attack.  Write something ridiculous just to get something out there, get the ball rolling, and then once words are flowing again you can come back and fix it."

While I don't recommend putting a ninja attack into a talk for church, the basic principle remains sound.

2 hours ago, The Halcyon Girl said:

Okay, I love it and I think that might actually work! Thanks!

Although, If you really try, you could make some sort of parable about ninjas...

3 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Does anyone else here spend far too much time contemplating the plurality of worlds, in a spiritual sense?

This is an easy/hard topic to cover. There are literally worlds without end I think. But I so want to know how different they are. Like if the humans are any different or if it's mostly just the wildlife that is different. We'll know eventually, maybe.

16 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Does anyone else here spend far too much time contemplating the plurality of worlds, in a spiritual sense?

Yes. It's a really cool concept.

On a similar note, does anyone here have like panic attacks thinking about eternal life? 

Just now, Gregorio said:

I can get a bit nervous sometimes, but panic attacks, no. I know it will all work out as long as I'm trying my best to follow God's Word. We can only do our best.

I usually am able to calm down when I tell myself that it'll all make sense in the afterlife