The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints corner

Not religiously, but at times we decide to take a step back and “fast” from the internet of social media. We do this to help recenter our focus on God and Jesus.

Also, we do religiously abstain from alcohol, drugs, smoking, wine, swearing, and premarital relations of a… personal nature. I’m probably forgetting some embarrassingly obvious thing we don’t do, but those are the big ones.

27 minutes ago, Chinkoln said:

Not religiously, but at times we decide to take a step back and “fast” from the internet of social media. We do this to help recenter our focus on God and Jesus.

Also, we do religiously abstain from alcohol, drugs, smoking, wine, swearing, and premarital relations of a… personal nature. I’m probably forgetting some embarrassingly obvious thing we don’t do, but those are the big ones.

27 minutes ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

The main thing is the word of wisdom which warns us to abstain from alcohol, tobacco, and hot drinks, meaning coffee and tea.

I'm assuming those were the more obvious ones? Idk my friend in real life is an LDS member and told me he can't drink coffee

38 minutes ago, Wizard Apocalypse100 said:

I'm assuming those were the more obvious ones? Idk my friend in real life is an LDS member and told me he can't drink coffee

That is one of the things we believe, yes. Additionally we believe in the concept of agency, so I like to think of it less like I can’t drink coffee and more that I choose not to, following the council of those who came before me :)

This website (https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/comeuntochrist) is super great about explaining our standards and beliefs and is much better about answering questions than I would be :P But to answer your opening one, we can use the internet, yeah. Since, yknow, this thread exists :P 

15 hours ago, The Bookwyrm said:

What was surprising was that there weren't any in Utah.

thats what I said to my fam lmao.

also!

the Grand Rapids and the new Nevada temple are really close to where my mom and dad grew up, repsectively which is hilarious. and a Prosper, TX Temple! Another one outside Dallas-Fort Worth!!! WOohoo!!

this conference was super cool i loved all the talks, especially Elder Hollands talk ab iconography and why we don't use the cross.

3 hours ago, Shallan Stormblessed said:

I think that the temple in Prosper is gonna make it... Prosper!

Hehe. 

Get it?

I'm so sorry.

One of my siblings made that exact same joke.

3 hours ago, CalanoCorvus said:

Elder Hollands talk ab iconography and why we don't use the cross.

I've noticed that in the last few conferences, President Oaks has given talks that seem just as much for those who aren't in our church as they are for those who are members. This time, Elder Holland followed that pattern as well, which was neat.

23 hours ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

Keep that excitement in the gospel and don't let it die Haly, don't let it die.

I will never. I promise.

9 hours ago, Eran of Arcadia said:

To put the announcement of 18 temples in perspective: when I was born, more than 150 years after the Church was restored, there were a total of 20 temples.

That… is an insane perspective. Wowwwza.