The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints corner

1 hour ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

I can't remember the name of the state but before covid a massive flood happened in a nearby state and lots of members of our church went and so I have a helping hands shirt and I got to shake President Ballards hand it was I believe but I could be wrong. @The Bookwyrm did you go?

I've only been in the area for a few years. How long ago was it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 7:48 AM, Szeth's Facepalm said:

Has anyone gone to the DC temple open house?

Yes! I was able to go about three weeks ago and it was great!  We got to see all of the DC places and had a great time just before the protest.

Just now, Rune said:

Just a random question but how many people do you think only really read Sanderson's books because they're a member?  And do you think there are more members that are fans than non-members?

There are definitely more non-member fans, though there other be a higher percentage of member fans as opposed to a different series. I think there are also for sure people who started the cosmere because they’re a member, but that wasn’t why they finished it :P 

11 minutes ago, Rune said:

Just a random question but how many people do you think only really read Sanderson's books because they're a member?  And do you think there are more members that are fans than non-members?

I didn't even know that he was a member when I first read one of his books, Steelheart.

29 minutes ago, Rune said:

My brothers and I have been members our whole lives, but when one of my older brothers first picked up The Way of Kings his first Sanderson book, he had no clue that Sanderson was a member. It took him a while to figure out that Sanderson was a member, but I didn’t care about that aspect when reading Sanderson.

As one of my favorite characters said: “A good book is always good, no matter how many times you’ve already read it” (Dazai Osamu, Bungou Stray Dogs, 2016), though I’d like to add that it doesn’t matter what the author’s religion is for this.. unless it’s something that is immoral and inhumane, then we gonna have problems.

13 hours ago, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

Honestly, if you read a book just because of something unrelated to the book, I question your wisdom.

I also had no idea that he was a member when I started because I got into him from WoT and found out later.

35 minutes ago, Mason Wheeler said:

Even if you didn't know, it would be pretty obvious by the end of Hero of Ages.  No one who's not a member could have written that book.

Twas a poetic and stunning ending. Among the best I've ever read.

I also love how he always hints at an after life. I love all the themes in his books that align with the church. Major truth bombs. Its great.