The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints corner

This corner is great. I think the shard in general is awesome, but I think its nice that this group is here and we have the chance to help others understand our beliefs better(it's not even proselytizing). I got the chance to answer a lot of questions for someone a little while ago because they saw in my sig that I was a member of this church, which was just awesome in my opinion.

10 hours ago, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

This corner is great. I think the shard in general is awesome, but I think its nice that this group is here and we have the chance to help others understand our beliefs better(it's not even proselytizing). I got the chance to answer a lot of questions for someone a little while ago because they saw in my sig that I was a member of this church, which was just awesome in my opinion.

I CONCUR!

One of my friends served President Nelson at a fast food place. I don't remember where. She shook his hand, and I shook her hand that shook his hand, so I've basically shaken hands with a prophet.

So not fun story, with a good lesson behind it.

I didn't feel like eating last night and tried to go to bed, but I was kept up all night in pain. I tried eating something but the thought of doing so made me sick. And it kept getting worse, my hands and feet went numb, breathing hurt, it was awful.

Then I got a priesthood blessing and almost immediatly started to feel better.

On 3/19/2020 at 0:11 AM, AonEne said:

This sounds fun - I know there are definitely many potential LDS jokes stemming from Brandon’s books. :D 

Not just jokes.  Just look at the ending of Rhythm of War, and a certain evil person's motivation when an unexpected change suddenly comes into his life.  (Keeping this deliberately vague just in case someone hasn't read it.)  And then look over that part again from a Gospel perspective, and see just how much worse this all is when you realize that Brandon has just introduced Cosmere Satan!

On 5/18/2020 at 3:31 PM, Mage said:

On the subject of similarities between Vorinism and The Church of Jesus Christ of LDS, did anyone notice the similarities between the Vorin thing of choosing a calling in life, something they want to get good at, and the new youth and children program? I know there are lots of differences, but it seems similar to me. And tWoK came out 10ish years before the children and youth program.

To me it's always seemed that Vorinism is written as a church in a state of apostasy.  It lost its divine source of truth long ago, it established itself as a political force under the guise of religion, eventually people noticed and tried to reform it, but with no divine guidance of their own they made a big mess of it... it all fits.

Though that interpretation did fail me in one point.  When the early books spoke of the Vorin prohibitions on future prediction stemming from the false prophets of the Hierocracy being exposed as frauds, it seemed clear that this was a thing that was lost in the Vorin apostasy, and was going to be restored, as we saw with Renarin.  Having that actually come from Odium's influence and Hoid confirming that prophecy is a bad thing that people should be very wary of was quite jarring!