The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints corner

• 3 weeks later...

So is anyone tracking the LDS references in the Cosmere? I know Brando has said that Nohadon is based on Benjamin, and that the whole idea of humans becoming gods fascinates him because of what we believe. I don't know if other things like keteks being similar to chiasmus or all the secret societies on Roshar being inspired by secret combinations are references or just coincidences.

43 minutes ago, Eran of Arcadia said:

So is anyone tracking the LDS references in the Cosmere? I know Brando has said that Nohadon is based on Benjamin, and that the whole idea of humans becoming gods fascinates him because of what we believe. I don't know if other things like keteks being similar to chiasmus or all the secret societies on Roshar being inspired by secret combinations are references or just coincidences.

Huh I didn’t even know about a lot of those! If someone is keeping track of them I have no idea who it isI bet that our religion has probably influenced several pieces of his writing though, even just subconsciously.

Edited by Ookla the Groovy

On 11/20/2020 at 10:17 AM, Mage said:

I just listened to the prophet's message about hope and gratitude, and just want to say how grateful I am that we have a living prophet who leads our church. You all need to go watch that. It was so good!

When he told the story of his wife, how he was unable to save her, I almost cried. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 8:48 AM, Matrim’s Dice said:

I just got back from visiting family in Utah, and there I was able to go to church! It was nice. Now I'm back in Washington, where it's still not allowed :( Oh well. 

And if we're doing mission stories, my dad went to Russia and met a witch lady who licked his companion's eyeball. So...

My sister got called to Russia. Got home a little over a year ago and is still obsessed with the place. She's just that type of person though. Don't think she had her eye licked, but she did meet a number of . . . odd characters.

• 2 weeks later...

Brothers and sisters in Sanderson, with this year's State of the Sanderson I realized that I am going to be on a mission when both Lost Metal and KoW (Stormlight 5) comes out. They said going on a mission would be a sacrifice, but I didn't realize what extent...

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

Brothers and sisters in Sanderson, with this year's State of the Sanderson I realized that I am going to be on a mission when both Lost Metal and KoW (Stormlight 5) comes out. They said going on a mission would be a sacrifice, but I didn't realize what extent...

Yeah, I missed seeing the last 2 LotR movies in the theater because I was on my mission. But sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

11 For it must needs be, that there is an aopposition in all things. If not so, my firstborn in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.

2nd Nephi 2:11

• 2 weeks later...

So we’re studying Doctrine and Covenants this year for Come Follow Me, and a couple months back when we were at the beginning of JSH I read something that rang a bell in my mind and made this meme about it. 

F3A55F5E-D52F-40F5-A830-B9F18594CDA6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

My stake just got restructured. :wacko:
First time since like 2004.
More than half of my priests quorum is gone. 
Luckily my closest friends are still with me, but the group is so small now. Maybe we’ll have some new people too, but we don’t know yet.
And we lost our bishop, who was awesome, so that sucks. And the new bishop is new to the entire ward. 

So yeah, lotta things happening. 

@Dannex Sorry to hear that. Sounds frustrating. For reasons I will not get into on here I have also experienced frustration with the designs of church leaders and their decision making process over the past year or so. I’ve used this last year to really come unto Christ and the Father who will never disappoint you and not to rely of the arm of man. I’ve learned prayer is not about telling God about all your wants and demands but conforming yourself to Gods will and trying to understand what He would have you do. I now fill much more happy and at peace. Anyways sometimes change can be for the best! Even though it’s scary at the time. God bless!

1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.

1 hour ago, Dannex said:

My stake just got restructured. :wacko:
First time since like 2004.
More than half of my priests quorum is gone. 
Luckily my closest friends are still with me, but the group is so small now. Maybe we’ll have some new people too, but we don’t know yet.
And we lost our bishop, who was awesome, so that sucks. And the new bishop is new to the entire ward. 

My ward has gotten restructured a few times recently because we are literally one of the fastest-growing in our state, so I feel you, though it hasn't been in a few years.

If the priest's quorum got cut in half, we would have like, 4 priests. If teachers were halved, we would have 3, if deacons were halved, we would still have 20 million, but there would be zero to pass the sacrament because of COVID and inactivity.

I lost my bishop a few months after the pandemic. It was bittersweet because on the one hand, he was awesome, and on the other, he was my dad and was always super busy.

1 minute ago, Chinkoln said:

My ward has gotten restructured a few times recently because we are literally one of the fastest-growing in our state, so I feel you, though it hasn't been in a few years.

If the priest's quorum got cut in half, we would have like, 4 priests. If teachers were halved, we would have 3, if deacons were halved, we would still have 20 million, but there would be zero to pass the sacrament because of COVID and inactivity.

I lost my bishop a few months after the pandemic. It was bittersweet because on the one hand, he was awesome, and on the other, he was my dad and was always super busy.

My ward won't get restructured, but that's because it's so small ^_^ even though the boundaries are huge.

We have... 3 priests, 0 teachers, and 0 deacons. Technically 1 inactive deacon and 1 inactive teacher. I'm the only one of the priests that is there every week. Sometimes I feel like I have to everything, but in a good way.

Same :P Though it was my grandpa and he moved.

Best of luck, Dannex!

Just now, Matrim's Dice said:

Sometimes I feel like I have to everything, but in a good way.

I agree. Despite our current numbers, I am the one who prepares the sacrament, blesses the sacrament, teaches the (few) deacons (and some teachers) their routes, then cleans up the sacrament. If it was theologically possible, I bet I would bless the sacrament and then hand it to myself so that I can pass it.

11 minutes ago, Chinkoln said:

I agree. Despite our current numbers, I am the one who prepares the sacrament, blesses the sacrament, teaches the (few) deacons (and some teachers) their routes, then cleans up the sacrament. If it was theologically possible, I bet I would bless the sacrament and then hand it to myself so that I can pass it.

I pretty much do this, even though I've graduated from the Aaronic Priesthood. What few young men we have still rely on me to get things done...

Found this in The Testaments by Margaret Atwood (sequel to the Handmaid's Tale; I highly recommend them): 

"Please do not use the name of God as a casual swear word," she said. 

"Sorry," I said. "But if you don't mind me saying, supposing there is a God, he has totally [screwed] up my life." 

I thought she'd get angry then, but all she said was, "You are not unique in the universe. No one has an easy time in life. But maybe God has [screwed] up - as you put it - your life for a reason." 

"And I can hardly [storming] wait to find out what it is," I said. 

"But I thought you grasped the true goal of our mission. The salvation of Gilead. The purification. The renewal. That is the reason." 

"You think that festering [crem]heap can be renewed? Burn it all down!" 

"Why would you want to harm so many people?" she asked gently. "It's my country. It's where I grew up. It's being ruined by the leaders. I want it to be better." 

[...] "You think this is going to work?" I asked finally. 

"It's not in our hands," she said.