A Return (sort of)

Starwatcher

It was a slow death. The tiny knives of time itself had slowly cut away his Connection to the Seventeenth Shard. Day by day he drifted away as so many other things consumed his life. Eventually, a day went by without him visiting the Shard. Then two, then three, then a week. And as his separation grew longer, so too did the rate at which he lost Connection, until one day he visited the Shard no longer. He still knew the glorious light of Brandon that lay behind it the Shard, but he was withdrawn from the Shard. For many years, he lived like this, nourished by the beauty of the works of Brandon, but but cut off from the community. Then, one day, a new storm washed over him; a storm of riotous color with shades and tones in perfect harmony, a storm that restored Connection. Tides of Fortune wove through those colors, painting images of a futures that might be. In those possibilities, he saw a great Coppermind in need of help. There were references to be found, details to be added, pages to be organized, and so many new articles to create in the future. And, in the midst of these visions of color, a voice spoke into his mind. "The Coppermind needs editors, Stargazer. I offer you this chance to Return, to help it. Will you take it?" After being separated for so long, he could not deny this offer; he wished so badly to help Brandon's light shine more clearly for all those who encountered his works. Perhaps most importantly, he already knew the dark Invested Arts of being Pedantic and having Opinions about minor details. "Yes," he answered the voice, "I will join in the carrying of this burden, though I doubt even Preservation or Cultivation could see where I will find the time." The voice then spoke and it was more than a voice; it spoke with the weight of Command and with a power that shone forth from the Spiritual Realm, opening a window between the Realms through which he could see a great entity beyond. This was a being who extended into eternity; in her, he saw encompassed all acts of giving and charity. She was the sacrifice made so that others might learn, the gifts gave to brighten days, power given and accepted so that it might, in turn, be given to others; with each gift given, she only grew stronger. Her words carried through the storm, bringing with them a gift of power and a single, overriding Command: "Awaken to my divine Breath and return to your people, so that you might endow them with the gifts of what you have seen." The Breath and its Command sunk into his Spiritweb, and the colors suddenly faded away, leaving, for a brief moment, only a void. With a jolt, the world returned, leaving him staring at the account creation screen for the Coppermind. He looked at it, puzzled, but had a sense that came from deep within that he should make an account. Very well, he thought, I shall be Stargazer. Stargazer the Organized.

So, it's been a long time since I was active (honestly, I'm not sure you could really say I was ever active) here, but I started editing the Coppermind nearly a year ago and Chaos recently helped me get my account back up and running (thanks again!). I don't anticipate being that active here, because what little free time I do have for Brandon-related activities usually goes to the Coppermind, but I was procrastinating on work bored a few weeks ago and wrote up that introduction, at which point I figured I had to post it at some point. I just posted to request Aether of Night, so now seemed as good a time as any. I named my Coppermind account Stargazer without checking the forums; when we reactivated my account, we discovered that someone else has that username here, which is why I'm Starwatcher instead here.

And no, I would not like a cookie. As much as I'd love to be able to have Sazed explain things to me, that's not a citable source for the Coppermind.

Also, all of you, stay safe and healthy!

Edited by Starwatcher
Forgot an important message