I hold in my hand a legendary treasure!

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting story!

Brandon's said that the Shattered Plains in The Way of Kings was lifted straight out of Dragonsteel.  It was, to a surprising degree -- one of the characters becomes a bridgeman in Bridge Four, just for starters -- but he also made a lot of changes.  (There's no The Tower, and the counterpart to that scene was done very differently, for example, as was the aftermath.)

Frost was in it.  As everyone knows, (around the fandom at least,) Frost is a dragon.  At no point in this book does it say he's a dragon, though Hoid Cephandrious has some pretty strong suspicions that he's something more than the ordinary human he appears to be.

Oh, and speaking of Stormlight, the Shattered Plains isn't the only thing Brandon lifted out of Dragonsteel.  Hoid's "Wit" persona is very recognizable in the character of Cephandrious!  Also, and this may be a total coincidence, but there's a local god of death and destruction named Xeth, who's associated with a specific color.  (Though it's not white.)

And speaking of gods, that was probably the most surprising thing of all to me: at no point in the story does it mention Adonalsium!

I liked the magic.  There's one "big" magic system going on, with different people having access to different aspects of it. (Again, reminiscent of Stormlight's Surgebinding.)  And it plays well into the big reveal at the end, which I probably should have seen coming, but totally didn't!

Anyway, it was a fun read.  I'd recommend it to any other fans who get the opportunity.

10 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

Is...that discussion legal here? I don’t feel like we’ve been given the go ahead for talking about Dragonsteel.

I've heard people talk about general points before, even very publicly such as on Shardcast.  I'm deliberately trying to keep to the same level of generality here.