Elkanah

Quick Fix 43: Mysteries in the Snow

208 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Cycle 3: A Frozen Soldier

Finding another body did nothing to improve the mood. One trapper fled from the scene, through the thick kitchen door to the main entrance before another caught up.

"Don't you see?" he exclaimed "This means Joe didn't do it!"

"Let's talk about this. You wouldn't last ten minutes out there." Said the other.

"Yeah, but Joe has survived far worse. He might still be out there."

By this time others had followed them out of the kitchen - mostly to get away from the gruesome sight. What could it all mean?

The argument intensified with every person who joined. Many argued that Joe, so brusquely sent out, would continue through the storm to a warm beach somewhere. Others were more skeptical and insisted they send a search party.

"What about him?" The Captain finally suggested, indicating a larger man clearly of JinDo descent. "He could brave the storm!"

"Do it." a voice no one recognized called from somewhere in the throng.

Shien stayed silent. It was not wise to aggravate a mob after all. Now who was it that said that? An ancient elantrian? maybe one of the Shu-Keseg? It didn't matter. These people were more of the chaos and panic type. 

Fine. He was about done with these fools anyway. 

"I'll go" he said to the surprise of nearly everyone. 

"Come again." Ezira asked, in the act of pushing Lesa towards the door. "You'll die!"

"The Captain ought to be the one to go anyway!" Lesa protested.

"No, I'll go. But I won't be back" He closed his book, picked up his bag and unbolted the door. The storm howled at the freedom offered to come in. It instantly chilled those closest to the door to the bone. With one last look at all these fools, he set out into the elements.

---

"Now that's done. What say we get a fire going?" Called the Captain. 

He didn't need to say much more than that and soon they had a real blazer going in the pit. Jehen did not stay to see it. He had been near the door as the storm had threatened to claim the occupants of the small outpost, but he couldn't bear the thought of fire!

"Fools will burn the whole place down and then what'll protect them from the storm?!" He grumbled as he opened the door to his room... except this wasn't his room. Blood stained the floor and a variety of knives stabbed into every surface at irregular intervals. He tried to slam the door - to rid himself of the awful sight, but was pushed from behind. He fell to the ground his eye only inches from a double sided blade. A stepped into the room and carefully closed the door behind him. No one heard the screaming over the roar of the flames in the common room.

----

After the fire died out everyone adjourned to their rooms. They rose late the next day to find pieces of Jehen spread throughout the common room. 

The ashes were arranged in a giant Aon and on one of the tables a burned out log had carved into it the following message:

Four things are for which we stand,

First is Skill, to always be the best,

Second, Uniqueness, to never be forgotten,

Third is Luck, to never be outwitted,

Last is Every stinkin' coin, to always be the richest!

Together you can see the most important thing,

A Rulo can always be your SULE!

2nd stanza of The Rulo's Ways

-------------------------------------------------------

StrikerEZ was lynched! He was a JinDo soldier

Devotary of Spontaneity was Sacrificed! He was a Trader

Straw (1): DeTess

DeTess (1): Kynedath

StrikerEZ (2): EXPERIENCE, Sart

PMs are still open

Player List

Spoiler

1. EXPERIENCE as Shard, that mysterious fellow no one seems to know anything about

2. Elandera a welcoming person

3. Xinoehp as as Yretsym one who is in tune with mysteries Trader

4. Ironfire as as Jester, Lord of Ineptitude

5. Devotary of Spontaneity as Jehen, whose distaste for the cold is overcome only by an irrational hatred of fire. Trader

6. Zillah who enjoys chaos and mystery

7. Kynedath as Ezira, good with a bow, awful with the ladies

8. The God King as Eheshao, a shrewd trader from Kae

9. Shanerockes as Shaney Boi who is here for the fun of it

10. Rathmaskal who is 'in' in all the best ways

11. Sart as Captain Late Sign-Up. With his powers of procrastination, he'll save the day... eventually.

12. DeTess as Lesa, a trader who really should have known better than to try and get a cargo through before the proper start of spring. 

13. A Joe in the Bush as Joe who is meeting new people Trader

14. Straw who ushers in the return of the cultists

15. StrikerEZ as Shien, a man no one recognizes despite his claims to have studied at all the great universities of Arelon JinDo Soldier

16. Stink as Saotia who has traveled far and wide but will be spending the coming storm isolated in a room with us

Edited by Elkanah

well.... that was unfortunate

That's what happens when you go a-lynching. Sometimes you hit a villager with a role.

What really bothers me though is the low voting turn-out so far. The only difference between the voters today and yesterday are that kynedath voted, and Devotary didn't. So if everyone that has been keeping their peace so far could get into the voting game, I'd appreciate it!

Regarding votes right now, I'm becoming a bit bothered by Experience's habit of seemingly just following along with someone else's vote, though this is alleviated somewhat at least by the fact that D1 they where the first to vote Joe.

For now, I'll be voting them though, at least until they bring out a vote of their own with a bit of reasoning to back it up.

Otherwise, I'd be interested in voting on any of the people that haven't voted at all yet this game, but in particular on the god king, who has been a lot more reticent to get stuck in than I'm used to from the previous two games I've seen him play.

It's sort of hard to have a reason to Lynch someone when they barely talk and I don't really know their playing style. Yes I was the second to vote on StrikerEZ, but I have only followed someone's vote once. And it doesn't make it easier to find the maf when more then half of the players don't/barely talk at all and don't vote. It would be helpful if everyone could talk more so we could have a better reason to Lynch on someone. @Elandera @Ironfire @Zillah @Kynedath @The_God_King @shanerockes @Rathmaskal @Sart @Straw @STINK

Hey folks, sorry for the inactivity.  I had a post typed up like 5 times yesterday before getting a call from someone that needed to be addressed.

Anyway, yes, there seems to be a general lack of activity so far.  Experience, you do seem rather flighty so far.  Not hedgy, flighty.

DeTess, you're doing DeTess things...

I really don't have a strong opinion on anyone so far, but we definitely need to get a bump in activity going.

DeTess is following the play style that I remember them having the last time I played with them. Which as usual is pretty hard to decipher anything indicating alignment from. Although something about their posts is rubbing me the wrong way. I’ll try and go back today and see if I can pinpoint what it is. For now though, I’m putting my vote on them  

3 hours ago, EXPERIENCE said:

It would be helpful if everyone could talk more so we could have a better reason to Lynch on someone.

I’m not sure why you’re pointing me out. D1 I’m usually quiet because their isn’t much to talk about. I believe this is my typical play style but to be honest I’ve been purposely switching things up every game to see what I enjoy most. D2 I posted twice. That’s a little low but is active, but I had a bit of analysis.

2 minutes ago, Zillah said:

DeTess is following the play style that I remember them having the last time I played with them. Which as usual is pretty hard to decipher anything indicating alignment from. Although something about their posts is rubbing me the wrong way. I’ll try and go back today and see if I can pinpoint what it is. For now though, I’m putting my vote on them  

Interesting vote, but right now I’m appreciating multiple opinions rather than a unanimous bandwagon

2 hours ago, Rathmaskal said:

Anyway, yes, there seems to be a general lack of activity so far.  Experience, you do seem rather flighty so far.  Not hedgy, flighty.

I agree with your assessment. Experience seems the most willing to lynch somone

activity is low but not near as low as other games. We are talking and I imagine PMs are going 

1 minute ago, The_God_King said:

I’m not sure why you’re pointing me out. D1 I’m usually quiet because their isn’t much to talk about. I believe this is my typical play style but to be honest I’ve been purposely switching things up every game to see what I enjoy most. D2 I posted twice. That’s a little low but is active, but I had a bit of analysis.

I honestly just included everyone other then DeTess because they have talked much more then everyone else.

Just now, EXPERIENCE said:

I honestly just included everyone other then DeTess because they have talked much more then everyone else.

Haha sounds good! DeTess has been very active

The table grew quiet. Trust became thin and the meals became times of increasing awkwardness. Eheshao was making plans. These goods from Elantris wouldn’t sell themselves! He had built up numerous contacts and was ready to strike it rich. Dreams of mansions and caravans were all he could focus on. This was an inconvenience but the storm should end eventually... right?

Sorry everyone since coming back from Uni I've had to basically do all of the housework involved in the grand scheme that is moving everyone's stuff into one room (which isn't that weird a concept I know) and our house was an absolute state beforehand so that is nearly done now.

As part of that process, my PC apparently broke so I might have to disect that which I don't even think I have the mental energy for rn with this sudden summer heat wew.

Anyways so yeah that explains why I made my post about people being active then kinda just went poof for a good set of hours so mb mb.

As for the game, I don't really get the Striker lynch? Looks like the arguments were that he was in the majority (aka everyone except for DeTess really) and he wasn't that active that day, along with Rath and others? Sart, until I find something better to go with for now.

The DoS kill when his only real post was about a WGG might be something worth looking into, since it's unlikely the elims cared about one of many posts about whether they know each other at this point.

Posted (edited)

So I just went back and read through past cycles. Shanerocks has only posted once, and they said they didn't have much to say so my votes on them for now.

Edited by EXPERIENCE
grammer

Ugh, I dislike playing PM games, as I'm way too easily swayed, but I'm now leaning a lot more village on Experience based on our PM conversation. TGK has also slightly alleviated my suspicions based on the shift in their play-style in a PM, so I don't quite want to lynch them this cycle yet. I'm also leaning a bit village on Sart right now, mostly because they seem to be talking sense, rather than going for low-hanging fruit.

Zillah, I'm leaning pretty elimy on right now. It might be a bit arrogant on my part, but in a  game as quiet as this, voting to lynch one of the few vocal players based on an unexplained gut-feeling feels pretty wrong (especially because Zillah has yet to play against me while I was an elim if I'm not mistaken). The likely outcome of that is an even quieter thread, which can only aid the elims.

If the Elims do know who they all are, I think the low voter turn-out suggests no elims have been threatened yet, but unfortunately that's speculation and nothing more at this point.

Ugh, you know what, for my own peace of mind I'll just make the assumption they do know right now, just to make the pool of possible lynch candidates more manageable. That means dropping Elandera and Straw from the list of suspects right now. If I also drop TGK, Experience and sart that leaves me with Ironfire, Zillah, Kynedath, Shanerockes, Rathmaskal and STINK.

Ironfire seems like a pretty new player. Normally that would make me lean more village on them, as an elim would have the backing of a doc to take the edge of their new-player questions, but as communication between elims isn'ta given this game, this doesn't really do anything to sway my opinion on them one way or another.

Zillah's posts where fairly NAI untill (potentially) their post with their vote on me this cycle. This isn't doing anything to sway my suspicion, as I'd have expected to see a bit more in the way of content form the by now.

Kynedath I'm also unsure on. They've been a bit more active, but I think elim!kynedath would have gotten a bit more backing for his vote on me if he could communicate with his team-mates. If he couldn't, then that was NAI. Otherwise there's some activity and participation in voting there there, which means that I don't  really want to lynch them without a better argument.

Shanerockes has one post to apologize for not posting more, and that's it. @shanerockes, where's that fire and enthusiasm from LG63? :P 

Rathmaskal is similar to shanerockes in that they've only posted once, but at least there where a couple of minor reads there, which is a good start. That doesn't clear them, and I hope to see more later.

Stink is also talking a lot of sense. They're also a bit of a veteran at this game, but I don't dislike what I'm seeing right now. The only point that stood out in a negative light was them dismissing the possibility of learnign stuff from the Xino attack, but they later followed up on that as well as the DoS attack, so that's all good.

Sof, out of these, I'd vote on Shanerockes ebcause of activity, or on Zillah because of suspicion. I'm not 100% on how rational my vote on Zillah is versus me just feeling a bit cranky over getting voted on without a solid reason given, so...

Actually, I will state I'm voting on one of Shanerockes or Zillah, but I won't reveal which. That way, it functions as a poke for Shanerockes irrespective of if my vote is for him or not, and if either is an elim and the elims do know each other, the uncertainty should force them to speak up more.

40 minutes ago, DeTess said:

Ugh, I dislike playing PM games, as I'm way too easily swayed, but I'm now leaning a lot more village on Experience based on our PM conversation. TGK has also slightly alleviated my suspicions based on the shift in their play-style in a PM, so I don't quite want to lynch them this cycle yet. I'm also leaning a bit village on Sart right now, mostly because they seem to be talking sense, rather than going for low-hanging fruit.

Zillah, I'm leaning pretty elimy on right now. It might be a bit arrogant on my part, but in a  game as quiet as this, voting to lynch one of the few vocal players based on an unexplained gut-feeling feels pretty wrong (especially because Zillah has yet to play against me while I was an elim if I'm not mistaken). The likely outcome of that is an even quieter thread, which can only aid the elims.

If the Elims do know who they all are, I think the low voter turn-out suggests no elims have been threatened yet, but unfortunately that's speculation and nothing more at this point.

Ugh, you know what, for my own peace of mind I'll just make the assumption they do know right now, just to make the pool of possible lynch candidates more manageable. That means dropping Elandera and Straw from the list of suspects right now. If I also drop TGK, Experience and sart that leaves me with Ironfire, Zillah, Kynedath, Shanerockes, Rathmaskal and STINK.

Ironfire seems like a pretty new player. Normally that would make me lean more village on them, as an elim would have the backing of a doc to take the edge of their new-player questions, but as communication between elims isn'ta given this game, this doesn't really do anything to sway my opinion on them one way or another.

Zillah's posts where fairly NAI untill (potentially) their post with their vote on me this cycle. This isn't doing anything to sway my suspicion, as I'd have expected to see a bit more in the way of content form the by now.

Kynedath I'm also unsure on. They've been a bit more active, but I think elim!kynedath would have gotten a bit more backing for his vote on me if he could communicate with his team-mates. If he couldn't, then that was NAI. Otherwise there's some activity and participation in voting there there, which means that I don't  really want to lynch them without a better argument.

Shanerockes has one post to apologize for not posting more, and that's it. @shanerockes, where's that fire and enthusiasm from LG63? :P 

Rathmaskal is similar to shanerockes in that they've only posted once, but at least there where a couple of minor reads there, which is a good start. That doesn't clear them, and I hope to see more later.

Stink is also talking a lot of sense. They're also a bit of a veteran at this game, but I don't dislike what I'm seeing right now. The only point that stood out in a negative light was them dismissing the possibility of learnign stuff from the Xino attack, but they later followed up on that as well as the DoS attack, so that's all good.

Sof, out of these, I'd vote on Shanerockes ebcause of activity, or on Zillah because of suspicion. I'm not 100% on how rational my vote on Zillah is versus me just feeling a bit cranky over getting voted on without a solid reason given, so...

Actually, I will state I'm voting on one of Shanerockes or Zillah, but I won't reveal which. That way, it functions as a poke for Shanerockes irrespective of if my vote is for him or not, and if either is an elim and the elims do know each other, the uncertainty should force them to speak up more.

You are correct about me not having played with you as an elim. However unfortunately that doesn’t help either of us much. I remember you yourself saying that you were known for being a difficult elim to catch. I am rethinking my vote on you for the reason that you are one of the most active players. And frankly we probably need that right now. Without anything to pinpoint aside from gut feeling I’m not quite sure I’m ready to lynch you. 

48 minutes ago, DeTess said:

Regarding shanerocks, that could be a good village indicator - a significant change elim.shanerockes.

Technically, I had two posts before this one...One C1 and one today.

57 minutes ago, DeTess said:

Stink is also talking a lot of sense. They're also a bit of a veteran at this game

This part alone nearly made me start disassociating O.o

Experience is discovering the Contribution Crusade rn, DeTess is reading the encyclopedia,  Zillah is gut-punching and TGK is currently the only RPer which kudos to that.

Unfortunately my PM game this game must be weak or something 'cause I ain't getting anything to work with, but I similarly don't wanna join the CC when it's our only real lever with which to act. Which I guess leaves the Zillah thing, but then the question becomes even though Zillah couldn't quantify the gut on DeTess - and has in fact now rejected it because DeTess is active - was there something there or was it an attempt to maybe sow discord? I know this means nothing but it's demonstrative, Sart.

And I don't necessarily think it was distancing but there's also the post about PMs leading to lack of information which Idk not really? There's certainly less people doing random stuff in thread cause it's generally saved for PMs but in games the bulk of information is stuff that happens in the thread so looking back on it like wow shouldn't have let that one fly by. 

Just not sure if it's new player stuff or something more sinister euuuuuugh

Hmmm . . . Rathmaskal? I don't know, you've been quiet and skirting around the more touchy subjects I guess. DeTess is still on my suspicion list for previously mentioned reasons, although their posts and the amount of discussion they are generating right now is useful, whether they're an elim or not.

I don't have too much else to go off of, but @Sart was giving bad gut vibes, although if I have more solid evidence I'm going to act on that first. I'd like to hear more from them.

12 minutes ago, STINK said:

Which I guess leaves the Zillah thing, but then the question becomes even though Zillah couldn't quantify the gut on DeTess - and has in fact now rejected it because DeTess is active - was there something there or was it an attempt to maybe sow discord?

I was in the process of searching through DeTess’s posts and interactions looking for information to back up my suspicions. Mainly my vote on them was to spur a response, as well as making sure I did have a vote this cycle. As with anything in this game, it’s subject to change. It just made sense to put something out there rather than nothing. The reason I say less information for the group due to PM’s is that a large chunk of moving information is between only a few select players. It’s also pretty limiting to those of us who don’t use PM’s, or like myself don’t know how to use them effectively. 

Sart appears to be the only one on right now who has not talked this cycle, but for all I know they could be typing something up right now. 

46 minutes ago, STINK said:

Experience is discovering the Contribution Crusade rn

Huzzah the contribution crusade!

honestly, suspicion-wise I’m feeling Zillah but I don’t have any thoughts outside of a hunch.

EXPERIENCE - Neutral/Village: New player, seems to be taking a lot of stabs in the dark. I lean village since I'd expect an elim with support to be a little less chaotic with their votes, or an elim without support to be a little more reserved until they can find their companions.

Ironfire - Neutral: Not enough information at the moment.

Zillah - Neutral: They've contributed a bit, mostly with suggestions to get more information into the thread (voting in thread and less PMing). This could go either way with alignment, since elims would also want more information in the thread about people's actual views. Otherwise, she seems focused on DeTess. Nothing that makes me overly suspicous of Zillah, but enough that I'm keeping an eye on them.

Kynedath - Neutral: Shares Zillah's view on thread information, and my views regarding the elim team. Hasn't said much else other than the vote on Rathmaskal, which I don't disagree with at the moment.

The God King - Slight village: Like what DeTess said, I have a PM with them that makes me lean a little more village than the rest. Their playstyle is definitely different from before, but it feels honest/result of being fairly new still.

Shanerockes - @shanerockes, do you have a bit more time today? I somewhat agree with Rath on this. Elim!Shane was very active last game, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're not elim this time. They could just be busy.

Rathmaskal - Neutral: Similar views as Zillah/Kynedath with voting in thread, but not many posts overall. @Rathmaskal, top suspicions?

Sart - Neutral/Village: Most indicative is their post on gut-read votes. I guess it could be an elim using that excuse to vote on someone without much basis, but it feels sincere. Also has been one of the more active voters.

DeTess - Slight Village: Her arguments yesterday and push today for activity/contribution has me leaning village. She seems sincere in a push to solve the game

Straw - Neutral: Two pretty NAI posts so far, mostly about mechanics. @Straw, any reads so far?

STINK - Neutral/Village: It's a bit disconcerting seeing Tess say Stink is talking sense... mostly because it's true.

Overall, there are entirely too many neutral reads due to lack of posts. I'm in that category, too. Sorry! For now, I think I'll vote Zillah.

First of all, @DeTess, any reason for the vote?

It's interesting that Experience has participated in both leading votes so far.

I think this is the activity so far, in case anyone finds it useful. It's interesting how active Experience has been. Activity has gone from 38 posts C1 to 33 posts C2 to 20 posts so far in C3.

activity.PNG.b2fc287da820933132f71f2764495bf9.PNG

I'll probably vote on Ironfire or Shane due to inactivity.

@Straw (quoting on a phone is a bit trickier than on a computer) i agree with you, inactive is a really bad thing for this game. It just allows the elims to be more powerful.

Here are my thoughts. After writing several paragraphs and realizing they were a rambling mess I decided to cut back to basics. Killing an inactive player would probably be the smart move. Active players increase fun and give us more information on their death. Inactive players don’t help or detract from lynches because their votes aren’t used. I will vote Shane because I don’t have enough suspicions on active players

2 minutes ago, The_God_King said:

@Straw (quoting on a phone is a bit trickier than on a computer) i agree with you, inactive is a really bad thing for this game. It just allows the elims to be more powerful.

Here are my thoughts. After writing several paragraphs and realizing they were a rambling mess I decided to cut back to basics. Killing an inactive player would probably be the smart move. Active players increase fun and give us more information on their death. Inactive players don’t help or detract from lynches because their votes aren’t used. I will vote Shane because I don’t have enough suspicions on active players

I agree/disagree with this. Voting inactive players does somewhat detract from lynches because it costs us some information. Inactivity means that they haven’t been interacting with anyone, and we can’t really gain anything from that. However it is likely better than lynching the hugely active players, since they are a valuable asset to the village. Another thing I think is noteworthy is that I’ve played a few games where the outcome was down to the wire and hugely based on activity, and a few inactive players really tipped the scale. In that sense it might be better to lynch them early on.

18 minutes ago, Straw said:

First of all, @DeTess, any reason for the vote?

It's interesting that Experience has participated in both leading votes so far.

I think this is the activity so far, in case anyone finds it useful. It's interesting how active Experience has been. Activity has gone from 38 posts C1 to 33 posts C2 to 20 posts so far in C3.

activity.PNG.b2fc287da820933132f71f2764495bf9.PNG

I'll probably vote on Ironfire or Shane due to inactivity.

Oh no. Tables, the enemy of lists! (If you got that reference, congratulations, you're an old timer.)

I'm not inclined to vote for Shaney Boy ( @shanerockes ). No one's seen head or tail of him since Monday. (He hasn't been on the Shard since then) Let's not forget this game has an inactivity filter of two days. If he doesn't talk in the next three hours, he'll freeze to death in his room. There's no sense throwing out a walking corpse. Jester ( @Ironfire ) was seen 6 hours ago, so he's got no excuses. If he doesn't want to die, he'll have to come out and talk. Of course, if he's been active in PMs, he won't freeze to death tonight, but that will make him way more suspicious in my eyes. For right now it's not worth a vote.

I am going to be voting on Rathmaskal. Mostly gut feeling if I'm being honest, but I wish I had voted for them instead of Striker last round. Today, they've been throwing out half suspicions, but they aren't voting for anyone, which makes me think they're an eliminator trying to guide the village to the wrong target without getting blood on their hands.

Sorry, I was cutting down a tree. Anyway, quick question: is this day 3 or day 2? Also, would the people who voted be suspicious, as generally, mafia want to get the majority in their favor as quickly as possible, so they maximize their kills by voting?