Quick Fix 43: Mysteries in the Snow

Elkanah

3 hours ago, STINK said:

Room for one more? 

I too will make the sacrifice for the betterment of society to stay in my room all day and play SE :P

Feel free to name me :P

Absolutely!

20 minutes ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

@Elkanah, when does the Game start?

The game will start tonight at 10 pm Mountain time (4 am GMT) so if anyone else wants in, you have about three and a half hours to let me know.

The wind howled outside the little outpost. The walls rattled and shook, but held against the brunt of the storm wall. Anyone would be a fool to come or go in this weather. The windows rattled and the occupants chatted late into the night. The air itself was restless and for many, sleep was out of the question. Instead, the travelers regaled one another with stories from their pasts. Some were humorous. Others were shocking. Near dawn, though, the numbers in the room began to dwindle as nerves settled a little and people left for their rooms. If the small outpost had held out this long, surely it could handle at least a few hours sleep. 

Lenkai was one of the first to yield to his body's demand for rest and turned in around what they reckoned was midnight. As he headed for his room, he somehow ended up down the wrong hallway. That was strange. Clearly way more tired than he originally thought, he tried walking back the way he came. Instead of leading him back to the well lit common room, he found the door at the end of this hallway was bolted shut. He quickly unbolted the door to find it led outside. 

Worry started digging at the back of his mind. The outpost only had one entrance that he knew about.

"No." He reassured himself. This must be a side door for deliveries or staff.

"No?" a voice asked behind him.

Lenkai whirled around to see... nothing. No one was there. He turned back to close the door, and felt the knife as it slid into his back.

A few hours later, Lenkai was discovered. His body was just outside of his room and had strange marks carved into the face and arms. As if we didn't have enough to worry about already. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LenKai was a normal Trader

Clarifications I feel I need to make:

Spoiler

The village team will be referred to as Traders

The eliminators will be referred to as Followers of Mysteries

The cycles will end at 10 pm Mountain Time

All ties will be decided randomly.

There are some who have no roles

PM's are open except they must include myself and may not be used between cycles

Player List

Spoiler

1. Experience_The_Shard as Shard, that mysterious fellow no one seems to know anything about

2. Elandera a welcoming person

3. Xinoehp as as Yretsym one who is in tune with mysteries

4. Ironfire as as Jester, Lord of Ineptitude

5. Devotary of Spontaneity as Jehen, whose distaste for the cold is overcome only by an irrational hatred of fire.

6. Zillah who enjoys chaos and mystery

7. Kynedath as Ezira, good with a bow, awful with the ladies

8. The God King as Eheshao, a shrewd trader from Kae

9. Shanerockes as Shaney Boi who is here for the fun of it

10. Rathmaskal who is 'in' in all the best ways

11. Sart as Captain Late Sign-Up. With his powers of procrastination, he'll save the day... eventually.

12. DeTess as Lesa, a trader who really should have known better than to try and get a cargo through before the proper start of spring. 

13. A Joe in the Bush as Joe who is meeting new people

14. Straw who ushers in the return of the cultists

15. StrikerEZ as Shien, a man no one recognizes despite his claims to have studied at all the great universities of Arelon

16. Stink as Saotia who has traveled far and wide but will be spending the coming storm isolated in a room with us

Edited by Elkanah

Greetings, fellow travelers! It appears that we may be stuck here for quite a while, so we may as well get to know each other, no? My name is Yretsym. What is yours?

On 3/14/2020 at 2:46 PM, Elkanah said:

All players: You sought shelter in this waystop, but found no rest. Between the frozen snow and the murderous zealots, survival is up to you. Work together to find the Followers of Mysteries and force them outside where they will freeze to death. To do this, send a vote through your GM PM once during each cycle. This vote can be changed until the cycle ends, does not count as an action, and will be made public at the start of each cycle. Only final votes will be made public."

So votes will remain anonymous until the end of the day cycle. This could have some interesting consequences. Lynch trains won't exactly be a thing, for one. People can also wiffle-waffle as much as they want. Plenty of potential for gambits where you imply you're voting for someone in the day then vote for someone completely different at night.

Follower of Mysteries: You will stop at nothing to learn the mysteries of Jesker. Each cycle you must send one vote for who to sacrifice to the GM (Elkanah) via your GM PM. This is in addition to your vote of who to throw out into the snow. The player with the most votes will be sacrificed to your mysterious purposes.

The way this is worded raises the possibility that the elims do not have a doc to conspire in, and- potentially- are unaware of who they are in kahoots with. If this is the case, it could mean that a higher percentage of players are elims than would be normal.

Priest of Jesker: You have seen these signs before. As tensions rise and signs begin to worsen, you alone know how to find the Followers of Mysteries. You may investigate one player each cycle to learn if they are a Follower of Mysteries.

If the elims are in fact anonymous to each other, this role might be on either side. If it does flip elim, that's a dead giveaway that they're each operating alone.

Jindoese Soldier: You trained in the art of ChayShan from your youth and built up the strength to protect others. You may protect one player from Followers each cycle.

Standard protection role.

Rulo: You are the fool who got themself stuck in a trading outpost you had no business being in. You're a bit kayana, so each cycle you scratch a message in the wood somewhere in the outpost, too bored to sleep.

Whoever this is... have fun, I guess. This could be useful in certain circumstances. Unless people can have double roles, though, and you're also secretly a Priest...:ph34r:

Seon Holder: The seon is a great tool for communication. As long as at least one Seon Holder is alive, there is no limit on PM's except they must include the GM.

Standard PM role.

I might have more to say in the morning. Too tired right now to really think straight.

1 hour ago, xinoehp512 said:
Spoiler

All players: You sought shelter in this waystop, but found no rest. Between the frozen snow and the murderous zealots, survival is up to you. Work together to find the Followers of Mysteries and force them outside where they will freeze to death. To do this, send a vote through your GM PM once during each cycle. This vote can be changed until the cycle ends, does not count as an action, and will be made public at the start of each cycle. Only final votes will be made public."

So votes will remain anonymous until the end of the day cycle. This could have some interesting consequences. Lynch trains won't exactly be a thing, for one. People can also wiffle-waffle as much as they want. Plenty of potential for gambits where you imply you're voting for someone in the day then vote for someone completely different at night.

I'd missed this in the in initial read-through of the rules, so thanks for pointing it out! I would encourage everyone to share their vote publicly in most circumstances, as analyzing and reacting to building votes is a pretty important way to gather information in a game like this.

The way this is worded raises the possibility that the elims do not have a doc to conspire in, and- potentially- are unaware of who they are in kahoots with. If this is the case, it could mean that a higher percentage of players are elims than would be normal.

I had spotted this one though. @Elkanah, can you confirm whether the elims (by which I mean, the Jeskeri cultists, just in case you're doing something really weird) are aware of each other's identities? And if they're not, can they themselves be the victim to their own kill?

If the jeskeri-group do not know each-other's identities then this game will have a pretty odd dynamic, because we're not really hunting an elim team, but a group of serial killers. This in turn would mean that we can't analyze interactions between players much  at all, and instead we must look at how each individual player plays, and whether it's  more foa village play-style or more of an elim one.

This could be very interesting XD

I'll have more thoughts once I've gotten a response form Elkanah.

Edited by DeTess

The elims did not have a doc the last two times this game was run, but I believe they knew who each other were. Their sacrifice votes, in QF11 at least, seemed too coordinated to be random and they defended each other early on. I think they can communicate in PMs almost as well as a doc until/unless PMs go down.

We'll find out who people actually voted for, which should prevent elim hammers. I'm sure there are reasons to have a fake vote; it seems like an easy way for a player to hammer without actually needing to be around at rollover. In most cases keeping with the public vote should be fine.

I think public votes are useful, it gives us more info to work with. The more public votes we have the more we can analyse it and the more we can compare them to what actually got sent in.

I haven't played any of the other games that ran this ruleset (at least I don't remember doing so) so I think I'm going to believe Devotary about how the elims communicate.

I really don't have too much to say here, I'm hoping more comes up once more people have responded to the thread.

Heh, I think I've been involved in previous incarnations of this but did not know that before signing up :P Only really read the rules in detail now

And looks like we didn't start with no Seon Holders, so as soon as I get access to an actual PC rather than mobile, you know I'm gonna have to start PMs with everyone else in existence, which I'll also have to figure out how that works RP wise now that I think of it.

Otherwise, looks like anything that people have picked up on are just waiting for clarification and tbh, I did not pick up on any of that when I read through the rules so depending on the clarification either grats or shame :P

Is it even worth poke voting in-thread when really I could be sending someone else's name to the GM and just doing whatever I feel like?

6 hours ago, DeTess said:

@Elkanah, can you confirm whether the elims (by which I mean, the Jeskeri cultists, just in case you're doing something really weird) are aware of each other's identities?

PAFO

“To live is to have worries and uncertainties."

6 hours ago, DeTess said:

can they themselves be the victim to their own kill?

Yes.

22 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

PAFO

“To live is to have worries and uncertainties."

In that case, we'll have to work under the assumption that they don't know who their other team-mates are, which means we can't trust things like people leading the lynch on an elim or defending one to actually be alignment indicative.

Definitely some things I didn't notice in my initial read-through either.  I really don't like the idea of secret votes from everyone, but I guess we'll have to deal with that.  I would very much prefer that people voice their suspicions in thread so that we can actually see lynch trains form.  I understand that people can easily lie, but it sounds like we'll have a chance to audit that after the fact.

@Elkanah, are the roles each unique? Or can there be multiples of each?

I don't really have any thoughts yet. Not even certain how to go about getting them. I'll probably put my vote on someone who doesn't talk this cycle, but who is online. That said, we are more than halfway through the cylce all ready.

Hmmmm. This is definitely interesting. I didn't even initially consider the possibility of the elims not having a doc or even not knowing their teammates. I'm not sure that's what's going on here (though why else would Elkanah PAFO the question?), but I do know that I don't really like the idea. For me, the fun part of being an elim is getting to talk with your teammates and plot out the demise of the village. Otherwise, you're kind of a lone serial killer, except you don't even get complete control over your kill. :P

I don't have any thoughts on anyone yet really. Though, I'd love it if xino was an elim just trying to throw us off the trail by making us think that the elims don't know each other when they actually do. :P