The Silence Divine addition

GoWibble

1 hour ago, GoWibble said:

*I know that this isn't something to joke around with, but if it did give you a power, what would it be?*

Since we know literally nothing about what kinds of diseases give what powers or why couden't you just ask the same question about the common cold?

17 minutes ago, Karger said:

Since we know literally nothing about what kinds of diseases give what powers or why couden't you just ask the same question about the common cold?

Well, I think that there were already possible examples given for that. Also, I did say that it applied for current diseases, of which corona is an example

Edited by GoWibble

this WOB mentions the cold giving you flight even then its probably random for now until the book is made 

Questioner

What idea for a book you loved didn't work?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. It happens all the time, absolutely happens all the time. There's one that I did some readings from, that I got a scene written, where I wanted to do this cool book where I had this setting. The pitch on it was, what if viruses and bacteria evolved to give people magical talents when you caught the disease. This idea that a bacteria doesn't actually want to kill you, or a virus doesn't want to kill you. It wants you to live and spread it. You getting sick is a side effect. What if the side effect is, you got the common cold, all the sniffles and everything, but you could fly as long as you had the common cold? What would that do to society? What happens when someone invents penicillin and can wipe out half of these magical talents? What happens if people start catching a disease that makes everything they touch start on fire. So it was a story about basically fantasy Jack Bauer, who's a member of the fantasy CDC, who tries to stop diseases and things like this. But in order to do his job, he has to keep his immune system terrible, like this weakling who can barely get up the steps, so that he can quickly catch diseases to get the powers he needs to deal with outbreaks of these things. It's just a really cool concept that I've never been able to gel into an actual story. It hasn't worked every time I've tried to write it.

FAQFriday 2018 (Jan. 12, 2018)

22 minutes ago, GoWibble said:

Well, I think that there were already possible examples given for that. Also, I did say that it applied for current diseases, of which corona is an example

My point is that it is not like we could possibly know so why not just ask generally?  What powers do infections give you on Ashyn?

Coronavirus would give the power to give other people powers, :lol:

Joking aside, here's what we actually know of Ashyn's disease-based magic system:

Since it's the microbes that give the powers, genetic disorders won't give powers.

The powers we got to see in the Silence Divine reading were precognition, something that seems like it might be a bit similar to a Malatium Shadow, flight, transmutation of liquids. The diseases that gave the powers ranged from "the sniffles" to "deadly fevers"

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jamesbondsmith said:

Anyone else reckon Silence Divine will be postponed/abandoned, given the current climate?

No reason for it, Brandon has had the book on the back-burner for years so it's not like he's going to get flack for releasing it 'too soon' whenever it comes out since it's a long ways away, and it's not anything linked to a particular disease anyways.

On 13/03/2020 at 2:45 PM, Karger said:

Probably not, as the common cold is not a single disease in terms of infectious agent.

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Probably not, as the common cold is not a single disease in terms of infectious agent.

True but we don't know what happens if you gather together multiple infectious agents or if identical symptoms give different or even related powers.

• Chaos locked this topic