Introducing The Stormlight Archive to My Wife, or: A Hilarious Series of Names

Goatbringer

@Goatbringer, I am VERY much looking forward your wife meeting Lift! And Wyndle too! Can you imagine? I wonder what Lift's Tay-designation will be? I bet there will be quite a strong affinity between them. I wonder what she'll think of Edgedancer, especially the Dysian Aimian.

Oooh, have you been reading her the back cover blurbs too? I wonder if she'll guess that it's that Dysian who is the author of that cover text? She did well guessing Wit.

Thank you for sharing this with all of us!!:)

6 hours ago, cfphelps said:

@Goatbringer or should we call you Goatboi? Does she apply the Boi suffix to people you meet in real life too, or are they reserved for books? 

There are all kinds "bois" going on when she's upset with someone... I can't openly swear on this board so I'll let you do the guesswork there. 

Also, our cats are nicknamed the "fatboiz", which we usually end up screaming at them. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

Welcome one and all to another edition of The Adventures of Slaveboi and Jeffrey Dean Morgan!

Over the last month during our lockdown here in South Africa, I have read up to chapter 37 and here are some reactions:

- First thing to note is that Tay has 100% gotten aboard the Shallan hate train. When we read the chapter where Kaladin and Bridge Four does the side carry and messes up Sadeas' battle plan, Tay was very excited to keep going. As soon as I read "Sometimes, when Shallan walked into the Palaneum," Tay shouted "No! Ungh! Why does it always have to be Shallan! She ruins EVERYTHING!" Thereafter followed an intense debate about whether we could skip that Shallan chapter to see what happens to Kaladin right away. We did so. 

YES! She sees reason!!

4 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

When Bridge Four is training and following orders from Kaladin, Tay likes to sing "I'll Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan. We then had a nice laugh imagining Teft, Rock, and Moash in concubine drag breaking into Kholinar Palace.

I will never be able to read that the same way(Maybe amnesia is a thing) 

This is beautiful keep going. :lol:

12 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

mountain yogi esoteric boi

Henceforth King Overlooked Stone shall be called mountain yogi esoteric boi!

"Why must fantasy writers make redheads hot? Why do we insist on thinking that Ginny Weasley is somehow hot? She isn't hot. Fantasy writers: Stop trying to make Ginny Weasley happen."

Is your wife a redhead?

Tay also pointed out how Shallan would often raise a hand to her 'breast' instead of her 'chest', thus subtly sexualizing her in a way that a character like Kaladin or Dalinar wouldn't be. I'm gonna keep an eye out for it, but I doubt there is any mention of Kaladin's breast. It was fun to imagine a sexualized Kaladin, however, going outside the Bridge Four barrack and stretching out his tight, muscley butt for all the lumberworkers to check out.  

The entire bridge crew is often portrayed mostly in the nude.  Given the their living conditions Kaladin says they mostly lost any body modesty a long time ago.  Also it seems to me like a defense mechanism.  "I am meek and female.  I could not possibly be a threat to anyone."

Teft, Rock, and Moash in concubine drag breaking into Kholinar Palace

Elhokar was wearing a proper Vorin hava remember?

Edited by Karger

11 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

It was fun to imagine a sexualized Kaladin, however, going outside the Bridge Four barrack and stretching out his tight, muscley butt for all the lumberworkers to check out.  

I mean, Veil sexualizes the storms out of Kaladin later on...

Yay! I was hoping for another Tay installment! :D Your lovely wife does NOT disappoint!

I had a couple thoughts re: these points:

On 4/14/2020 at 2:57 AM, Goatbringer said:

... - First thing to note is that Tay has 100% gotten aboard the Shallan hate train. ...

- Once we got back to a Shallan chapter: "Why must fantasy writers make redheads hot? Why do we insist on thinking that Ginny Weasley is somehow hot? She isn't hot. Fantasy writers: Stop trying to make Ginny Weasley happen."

- Tay also pointed out how Shallan would often raise a hand to her 'breast' instead of her 'chest', thus subtly sexualizing her in a way that a character like Kaladin or Dalinar wouldn't be. ...

• We're kind of not supposed to like Shallan at that point (& maybe not even after Oathbringer) - she is a very broken person & many people find her character difficult to sympathize with. But maybe "sympathize" is a good place to start. Also, I remember Tay saying "...because character development - that's why" about Kaladin: well it's a lot the same for Shallan, but she has a much longer path to tread.
  • I imagine Shallan's hair not as Weasley-red but as closer to burgundy - the color some gals wear their hair these days (or did before they closed all the salons during this pandemic). Maybe that image will help?
  • I suspect Brandon is using the word "breast" not with a sexual reference but more like the word would have been used in previous centuries - I doubt you'd find Shakespeare using the word "chest" in describing a woman (unless she was carrying a box full of gold & jewels, LOL).
On 4/14/2020 at 1:37 PM, Emerald_Mage said:

My brother is now just waiting for her to see the Dalinar Lift scenes.

Me too!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm gonna suggest something here & maybe we can all petition for it to happen, somehow.

I want Brandon to use at least one of @Goatbringer's wife's names in a future book - i.e., that people from a Rosharan culture, in-world, call chasmfiends "rock lobsters," for example.

There are lots of cultures we haven't met yet, so lots of possibilities.

What say you all? Any Moderators/Beta Readers following this thread? Good idea? (If it's a bad idea, my apologies - I meant no offense.)

2 hours ago, Karnage said:

@Goatbringer, do you have a set time for when your next update is going to be?

Not necessarily. Tay goes wherever the storm takes her. We're in the homestretch right now, so I might just wait until we get to the END end before posting an update.

Btw @old aggie, Tay loves your idea but claims she would rather have "Michelle-Pfieffer-That-White-Gold" immortalized as Cosmere canon. I said that was a little farfetched. She gave me some side eye and said "we'll see about that".

On 14/4/2020 at 8:57 AM, Goatbringer said:

- Once we got back to a Shallan chapter: "Why must fantasy writers make redheads hot? Why do we insist on thinking that Ginny Weasley is somehow hot? She isn't hot. Fantasy writers: Stop trying to make Ginny Weasley happen."

i think it's more of a matter of writers making main characters hot. I mean, how many main characters (of both genders) have you ever seen that weren't attractive?

and let's not even start about movies.

though regarding shallan specifically, i never saw her sexualized. that's because she hits all my protective instincts in the right spots, i see her like a little sister.

Edited by king of nowhere