Introducing The Stormlight Archive to My Wife, or: A Hilarious Series of Names

Goatbringer

10 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

TAY: What the actual *censored* is a sky burial? Do they just drop kick them into the air?

Theoretically, Windrunners could Lash a body upwards with enough Stormlight to get it to escape velocity by the time it runs out.

... now I want to turn this into a physics problem.

1 hour ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Not even the thought of reading SA 5 for myself has made me want to be a Cadmium Misting IRL and just time-bubble-hibernate until SA is released as much as wanting to see Tay's reactions to the book has.

Convoluted sentence, yes, but it does the job...

The plan is make Brandon a steel compounder + sliders, and give the enitre fanbase a-cadmium.

6 hours ago, Necessary Eagle said:

Wait, what was her reaction to Taravodium? You can't leave that out! (Besides cheering on Sword Ninny, which I take as a given).

2 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Wait, wait, wait! Where’s her reaction to the double villain upgrade we got in two totally random moments two chapters apart?!

Okay, fair enough - that's my bad. I didn't record anything for her there. 

In terms of Taravodium, she didn't have any witty reactions, she just stared at me with wide eyes - probably the same reaction a lot of you guys had to the Ascension. We did talk about it after, and she reckons that this is a really good thing since if you go look back at some older posts she is very much Team Taravangian ("Thanos was right" is a literal quote of hers as well) - she thinks he can do a whole lot of good with Odium's power. I'm not so convinced... he's still planning on sending a Champion to fight Dalinar, after all. 

In terms of the double villain upgrade, are we talking El? Tay didn't really react to him. Kind of just assumed he's obviously set up as the next secondary villain in book five - a la Raboniel/Persuer in book four. 

1 hour ago, Goatbringer said:

Okay, fair enough - that's my bad. I didn't record anything for her there. 

In terms of Taravodium, she didn't have any witty reactions, she just stared at me with wide eyes - probably the same reaction a lot of you guys had to the Ascension. We did talk about it after, and she reckons that this is a really good thing since if you go look back at some older posts she is very much Team Taravangian ("Thanos was right" is a literal quote of hers as well) - she thinks he can do a whole lot of good with Odium's power. I'm not so convinced... he's still planning on sending a Champion to fight Dalinar, after all. 

In terms of the double villain upgrade, are we talking El? Tay didn't really react to him. Kind of just assumed he's obviously set up as the next secondary villain in book five - a la Raboniel/Persuer in book four. 

The double villain upgrade (although the ‘villain’ part is debated) was the reveal that Thaidakar is Kelsier. Which didn’t so much upgrade him (since he’s always been Thaidakar) as reveal that we’ve been SERIOUSLY underestimating the Ghostbloods, but it served the same purpose as a villain upgrade.

Thanks for the update!

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

27 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

The double villain upgrade (although the ‘villain’ part is debated) was the reveal that Thaidakar is Kelsier. Which didn’t so much upgrade him (since he’s always been Thaidakar) as reveal that we’ve been SERIOUSLY underestimating the Ghostbloods, but it served the same purpose as a villain upgrade.

Thanks for the update!

Ah, yes, see - I tried to explain to her what "the Lord of Scars" meant, but her eyes completely glazed over. 

On 2/19/2021 at 1:10 PM, Goatbringer said:

TAY: Kelek! He will teach us bronze! I’ve been waiting for him!
--

Navani and Raboniel are sapiosexual for each other. Calling it. Leave your war criminal husband, Navani!

Pfffft I just died. 

I can see that... 

Thanks for the entertainment, and tell her no pressure to read more of the cosmere if she doesn't want to - her fan club might be disappointed, but your guys' enjoyment of what you read is the priority! ;) It's been really fun, though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 9:49 AM, Goatbringer said:

Nope - SA is the first and only Cosmere series she has read. 

I want to thank you and your wife for this wonderful and hilarious thread. I'm really glad i came across it. I really hope to see more.

Edited by SPRENDIDLY
edited to avoid double posting

Here's a little special surprise for you - one is a pic of Tay actually using a Stormlight reference on a public forum for everyone to see when she asked a question on her Instagram of what tattoos people want to get. Big win, there. 

60487cbc2199b_AirsickLowlander.thumb.jpg.0dd326d9411dfbca705c2ed6f61964bf.jpg

The next is a video that she insisted I share with you of her using the Instagram cosmere character filter (much apologies - I do not know who created this filter!)

Also warning - I know this board flags swears that we type out in these replies, but Tay swears in the video. So if you're a little sensitive to language, uh, don't watch.  

Cosmere Character.mp4

I hope you enjoy this small Tay interlude.

Edited by Goatbringer

• 1 year later...

I don't much like that this is how I find out about the SA5 title, but thank you for informing me that State of the Sanderson is out! I probably wouldn't know otherwise. It would probably be interesting to see your wife's reaction to SA5 along with reading it, just like it was seeing it up until now.