Storing Feurchemal Identity

HowlingWolf

In Ch 17 of Oathbringer Syl says that the

Spoiler

Parshendi had lost their identity and turned into Parshmen.

On Scandrial (Mistborn) there is a Feurchemal power to store Identity and while you are storing it you loose your Identity. Would this make you similar to a Parshman while you are storing Identity? I dont know what it would look like when you pull out the extra Identity you've stored.

1 hour ago, HowlingWolf said:

Hide contents

On Scandrial (Mistborn) there is a Feurchemal power to store Identity and while you are storing it you loose your Identity. Would this make you similar to a Parshman while you are storing Identity? I dont know what it would look like when you pull out the extra Identity you've stored.

No it wouldn't. The parshendi losing their Identity is a little more metaphorical. They mostly lost Connection and because of that they lost the ability to switch forms, trapping them in slaveform.

Questioner

In terms of discussing Identity, I know that in Emperor's Soul, they talk about Identity, and the Parshendi talk about losing their Identity, and then I was just rereading Bands of Mourning, and one of the kandra talks about how the spikes are their Identity. Are all of those things connected somehow or are they different forms of Identity?

Brandon Sanderson

They are connected, although the Parshendi losing their identity is a little more metaphorical. But yeah, the idea of these things-- Identity is an innate attribute in the cosmere that is related to your soul, your spirit, and it is one of the things that Hemalurgy can fiddle with and Feruchemy can fiddle with. It's kind of important to how the [Metallic] Arts play out, but it's important to all the magics...

Identity is involved in why you can't use another person's metalminds, right, that kind of thing. And those are all related. The Parshendi is more metaphorical. 

Questioner

I wondered because it's always capitalized, in the book.

Brandon Sanderson

Yep, and it's done intentionally. Peter always asks, "Are you sure this one is capitalized?" "Yeah."

Orem signing (March 10, 2018)

On 3/12/2020 at 10:45 PM, HowlingWolf said:

Reveal hidden contents

We don't understand Spiritual Identity much yet. There is some similarity but they might not be referring to the same concept. What happened to the Parshmen seems more Cognitive

Parshmen seem much worse off than Drabs.

IIRC Drabs have lost a part of their Innate Investiture. It does affect emotions and such, as well as weakening their immune system, etc., but Drabs function in society (many Hallandren inhabitants gave up their Breaths as children and have lived their whole adult lives as Drabs). They don't have the lack of will and "inactivated" personalities parshmen show.

Of course, humans don't have the inherent changeability and spren-bond dependence of the singer/listener species.

3 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

Parshmen seem much worse off than Drabs.

IIRC Drabs have lost a part of their Innate Investiture. It does affect emotions and such, as well as weakening their immune system, etc., but Drabs function in society (many Hallandren inhabitants gave up their Breaths as children and have lived their whole adult lives as Drabs). They don't have the lack of will and "inactivated" personalities parshmen show.

Of course, humans don't have the inherent changeability and spren-bond dependence of the singer/listener species.

I think what happened to the parshendi was roughly equivalent to a Deadeye spren. Spren and person (human or Parshendi) bond together, but in the case of the Radiant and their spren in shardblade form, the spren gets spiritual stuff ripped out of them that they need to function normally as a result of the human breaking their oaths.

for the parshendi, it seems that sealing away Ba-Ado-Mishram reversed the roles, ripping spiritual stuff out of them instead. Possibly leaving it all with B-A-M inside the gemstone. Then the Everstorm came along and provided Investiture to heal the damage to the Parshmen's spiritwebs...

Aw crap, does this mean that Odium (or, say, Sja-Anat, with her ability to Enlighten Spren) can revive Deadeyes? Is THAT what Glys is?? Storms...

• Chaos locked this topic