Renarin's Ideals

Quantus

This is a question that recently occurred to me:  Did Renarin speak the transitional Truthwatcher Ideals (or at least within the Order's normal variance) or did Glys's corrupted status require something else entirely?  Or, to put it another way: Is Renarin still a Truthwatcher at all, or is he part of a new Void-Order?

I dont think we have any information either way, and I think it would very much be RAFO territory, but Im curious what the opinions of the community are.  

Whether he’s technically a truthwatcher or not is a matter of semantics. I’d guess I’d call him the voidbinding version of a truthwatchers? Idk, I’ll leave it to in-world people to determine the terminology for what he is. 

Since the first oath is the same for every order, there are four unique ideals. I think two of the unique ideals will be the same as normal truthwatchers, and two will be different. This is based on the impression that voidbinding is half a reflection of surgebinding and half an inversion. After all, one of Renarin’s surges appears to function the same as normal truthwatchers while the other functions completely differently. Yes, he may be able to use lightweaving like Truthwatchers can, but we haven’t seen it on screen, so my belief is that his future visions have replaced normal lightweaving abilities. Also, one side of the symbols on the voidbinding chart is oriented the same as the corresponding surgebinding symbol while the other side is flipped upside down. So to me, voidbinding seems very half and half. Half the same, half different.

Edited by ILuvHats

14 minutes ago, ILuvHats said:

Whether he’s technically a truthwatcher or not is a matter of semantics. I’d guess I’d call him the voidbinding version of a truthwatchers? Idk, I’ll leave it to in-world people to determine the terminology for what he is. 

I believe it could be more than that.  If his Ideals are an entirely different theme, then the argument could be made he's precisely as much of a Truthwatcher as Shallan is, which is to say that he's some entirely different Order than just happens to share a single Surge with Truthwatchers (and Edgedancers).  It would indicate that the whole Voidbinding set of Orders are entirely distinct from the 10 Radiant orders.  

14 minutes ago, ILuvHats said:

Since the first oath is the same for every order, there are four unique ideals. I think two of the unique ideals will be the same as normal truthwatchers, and two will be different. This is based on the impression that voidbinding is half a reflection of surgebinding and half an inversion. After all, one of Renarin’s surges appears to function the same as normal truthwatchers while the other functions completely differently. Yes, he may be able to use lightweaving like Truthwatchers can, but we haven’t seen it on screen, so my belief is that his future visions have replaced normal lightweaving abilities. Also, one side of the symbols on the voidbinding chart is oriented the same as the corresponding surgebinding symbol while the other side is flipped upside down. So to me, voidbinding seems very half and half. Half the same, half different.

That half & half option is an interesting Idea, I like it. 

• Chaos locked this topic