How Powerful are the Knights?

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but...

I've been wondering recently: How powerful were the Knights Radiant as an organization? I'm not referring to our modern day "only a couple knights in a tower" group, but the olden days. The times when there were hundreds of knights in each order with even more squires to back them up. Brandon has said that a knight who has sworn the 5th oath could probably 1v1 a mistborn(or so I keep seeing everywhere). And, we've seen what individual knights can do, though none of them have sworn the final oath of their order. Thoughts? General power level? Compared to other fantasy magic user organizations?

I just want other people's takes on this, 'cause they seem EXTREMELY powerful at a glance.

In their heyday they were likely one of if not The most powerful organization we've seen.  Individually they are some of the more heavily Invested things around, and between the versatility of their surges, their detailed knowledge of Fabrial technology, their direct communication with at least one of their resident Shards, and their shear numbers, not to mention being well organized against a common enemy, they would have been top tier. Taken as a whole the only thing I can name that might come close is the Ire and/or Elantris in it's prime, but we really dont know anything about them so it's pure speculation.

They were capable of instantenuous transport to any location on the planet (or potentially even other planets or planes of existence) in addition to possessing near unbeatable combat capabilities and higher than average awareness of the Cosmere due to the nature of Elsecallers. In their heyday, they would have been capable of ruling the entirety of Roshar - and they probably did just that for a while.

Edited by Vissy

4 hours ago, BasementDwellingRadiant said:

Brandon has said that a knight who has sworn the 5th oath could probably 1v1 a mistborn(or so I keep seeing everywhere).

If that is a quote I might just cry Kaladin right now, 3rd Ideal would dominate most(if not all) Era 1 Mistborn. Now a compounder could probably 1v1 a Radiant of the fifth Ideal but most Mistborn not a chance.

Yeah era 1 mistborns have large limitations it seems like. All a windrunner would need to do is put as many lashings as possible on a wooden javelin (or any sharp stick and game over). mistborns can't really fly or even "fall up" they just leap tall buildings in a single bound. As for pewter, the way the Seith Son Son Velano knocked people about when infused with stormlight leads me to think Radiants are at least the match for them in speed and strength with storm-light. Also Radiants healing factor is insane. I think a better comparison would be an inquisitor or perhaps a mistborn inquisitor.  

• Chaos locked this topic