Magic System Creation Issues

Danthemystic

Recently, I have decided that I want to start my rough draft for a book I want to write. It exists in an epic fantasy setting similar to a D&D setting. I want to create one or multiple magic systems for this story that I want to be unique but at the same time reflect my love of Dungeons & Dragons with their magic system (arcane and divine). I want to make sure it is simple to understand but I want to make sure there are limitations, costs, and weaknesses to how it operates and can be accessed. I've read over Sanderson's Laws of Magic and I think they have helped me create some guidelines for myself but I still don't know where to start. I don't know how much I should add to it before I expand on it more and more. I feel like I'm in the dark on this one. 

• 4 weeks later...

I love magic as well, my personal strength in this is on exploits I can usually find ways magic can be cheated for ridiculous gains. My recommendation for a starting point though is moments of inspiration, or just grab ideas and let that evolve into a workable version, or use it for food for thought.

I'll chime in here and say that creating a good magic system with proper checks and balances is difficult to say the least.It took my co author and I close to 10 years to finally come up with a magic system that we thought was workable enough to publish. Once you have your magic system in place (even as a rough draft), let me know. I'm not so great at helping design from the ground up, but once there is a design, my specialty is in enhancing what's already there and finding the "plot holes" that typically come along with a rough draft. I'd be happy to help, but definitely go to the other guys while it's still in the design phase. ;)

Edited by Xardan Ta'Caran
Couple of typoes. Stupid keyboard.