Elend was born a Seer

Elsecaller_17.5

Yes it's a little crackpot hear me out.

1. It's possible. He would have snapped as child and thus been unaffected by the Mists. Seers are a thing but their not tested for.

2. He did too good against Marsh. Marsh by that time was a incredibly skilled warrior. He had allomancy and feurchemy. Elend's atium only makes a draw because Marsh has it too. The other factors make Marsh win. The only dissent I see being possible is Elend being mistfueled at the time, but it is possible Marsh was too, and extremely improbable he wasn't.

Czanos

Preservation can fuel Allomancy, (minus atium.) but can Ruin fuel Hemalurgy? (Or atium?) And could Sazed fuel all three Metallic Arts?

Brandon Sanderson

Both gods could, if they wanted, fuel all of the Metallic Arts. Preservation is stronger at fueling Allomancy, Ruin stronger at fueling Allomancy or Feruchemy when it has been given via a spike. Both are balanced when it comes to Feruchemy. But this rarely comes up in the books, as it required expending power in a way that the gods were hesitant to do.

Hero of Ages Q&A - Time Waster's Guide (Oct. 15, 2008)

Further more Ruin could mistfuel Marsh's atium. He should have crushed Elend. 

The only solution I can think of is that Elend is just better at burning Atium. Twice as good, because he was born a Seer and then had power added to it through Lerasium. 

there is one major problem with that: the lerasium would have not made elend better at burning atium. lerasium makes you full mistborn, but as far as we know it's not cumulative with preexhisting metallic arts. if you are a lerasium mistborn and you eat lerasium, you don't become stronger, you stay a lerasium mistborn. so even if elend had been a seer, he'd not have become stronger.

Burning Lerasium increased your strength as a Mistborn, or made you one if you were not already.  Burning a Leraisum-X alloy would make you an X-Misting, and I guess increase your strength with the metal if you could burn it already.

17th Shard

If a Mistborn burns lerasium, as in, not just ingests it, what effect would it grant Allomantically?

Brandon Sanderson

That is a RAFO. It would do something, but the thing you've gotta remember is that, when ingesting lerasium for the first time and gaining the powers, your body is actually burning it. Think of lerasium as a metal anyone can burn. Does that make sense? By burning it you gain access to those powers. It rewrites your spiritual DNA, and there are ways to do really cool things with lerasium that I don't see how anyone would know. Were most Mistborn to just burn it, it would rewrite their genetic code to increase their power as an Allomancer.

17th Shard Interview (Oct. 3, 2010)

Shardlet

If Vin and Elend hypothetically each blindly ingested equivalently sized beads of lerasium, would Vin be a stronger Mistborn than Elend, or would they be equal?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, Vin would be stronger. It is additive, not just an overwrite.

Firefight Seattle UBooks signing (Jan. 6, 2015)

Burning more and more just makes you more powerful. IIRC another WoB states becoming a lerasium savant straight up let you ascend as the host of Preservation.

Well, I find it really very difficult. What helped Elend was to be a Mistborn of Lerasium, which made his flared really intense, the reduced strength of hemalurgy, Marsh's inexperience with Compouding and that Marsh probably hadn't been able to replace his metalminds very well after the fight with Vin. Even with Ruin fueled Marsh's Atium, Elend was much better with Atium naturally than Marsh and could still flared the power to even more stratospheric levels (after all, being an L-Mistborn makes you be amazing with all metals, even those from Ruin).
Then we had Ruin fueled all the metals of Marsh, and Vin fueled all the metals of Elend. Still, he himself recognizes that this is not a fight that can be won with the sword and burns Atium + Duralumin.

I re-read the scene and Elend did not fight Marsh so much as retreat from him. Basically this was the order:

1. Elend killing koloss left and right, refilling with atium till he began to get low on pewter and etc

2. Marsh shows up, burns atium countering Elend's atium

3. Elend retreats/fights defensively while killing Koloss with his atium

4. Elend runs out of pewter

5. Vin fuels Elend which surprises Marsh

6. Ruin then fuels Marsh

7. Elend burns duralumin and atium, resulting in him understanding, and Marsh's ax in his chest, and Elend's sword in Marsh's throat

So myself at least, I don't see a long drawn out fight where Elend held his own. So for myself I do not think he was a seer before hand. But interesting theory. 

If Elend had been a Seer, the Obligators and Inquisitors would have found him. Given that he was the Venture heir, he would have been at most of those parties and should have been caught out at one of them.

Sporkify

How did Inquisitors find Atium mistings?

Brandon Sanderson

They spike the drinks at one of the nobility's balls with trace amounts of Atium, then cause a bit disturbance. (Often, the Inquisitors themselves arriving will do it) and burn bronze and watch for brief pulses. The body will burn metals instinctively if it can, which has been shown quite often in the series. This is also how they get a lot of their secret information about who is a Misting and who isn't. It's not a perfect method, since you have to watch for Copperclouds messing things up, but it is effective once in a while.

Any time an obligator who is not a Misting joins the Ministry, he is unknowingly given a larger chunk of atium and then forced into a series of rituals that will drain him physically and get the body to react and burn the metal. This was how Yomen was discovered.

Hero of Ages Q&A - Time Waster's Guide (Oct. 15, 2008)

Edited by RShara

8 hours ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Oh well, a fun thought while it lasted.

RShara has a serious problem of shutting down peoples theories with obscure WoB's that haven't been seen by anyone else in years. It happens.(No offense RShara I appreciate the information it keeps our theories plausible, even if it's inconvenient.)