FTL travel mechanism

Ok so I think I figured out how FTL travel would work via allomancy. 

Maybe someone else has already figured it out , so it's not novel but eh. 

Now I don't think it's actually travels faster than light. It might not even travel at light speed. At near light speed or maybe even half of light speed. 

So now we know that as a spacecraft reachs light speed. Time slows down for the person inside the craft. 

Hours for him would translate to centuries on the outside.

This offers the  problem.

So suppose the craft creates an anchored bendalloy bubble . This bubble would slow down outside time to match the craft time and therefore negate the original time dilation. 

This could however lead to time moving very quickly within the craft and the person experiencing yrs of time go by. Not ideal .

This is where cadmium comes into the picture.

Suppose you had a smaller cadmium bubble in the cockpit to cancel out the bendalloy bubble . 

The bendalloy bubble would still work at the other parts of the craft. But the cockpit would experience normal time dilation. 

So the cockpit of the craft would experience a few hours or less , whereas the rest of the craft would experience yrs or centuries.

Or alternatively , u could have a no of smaller bendalloy bubbles cover the craft sans the cockpit.

I guess u could make the cockpit magnetically  evitate or use A-Steel to make it levitate inside a chamber within the ship so that there is no wierd friction effects at the border of the time bubbles. 

This way , it would seem like instantaneous travel to both the traveller and the outside world. 

The journey would still be at near light speeds and take yrs ,decades or centuries objectively. But the time dilation would make it look instantaneous. 

It's near light travel transformed into faster than light via hacking time. 

So whatchu think ? 

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

30 minutes ago, PrinceGenocide said:

This is where chromium comes into the picture.

I assume you mean bendalloy

31 minutes ago, PrinceGenocide said:

It's near light travel transformed into faster than light via hacking time. 

Seems workable.  I am currently way to tired to be sure but it seems similar to the Alcubierre drive.

36 minutes ago, Karger said:

I assume you mean bendalloy

Seems workable.  I am currently way to tired to be sure but it seems similar to the Alcubierre drive.

No I meant cadmium

So at light speed time stops inside the craft. By burning bendalloy , u can make time stop outside too while time speeds up within the craft. 

But then u could move beyond negating the travel based time dilation and accelerate time within the craft so that years pass Inside while the outside world is frozen. To negate that maybe chromium could be used with the required ratio of strength or intensity. 

I have heard of the the alcubierre drive. Don't really know what it is tho. 

Edited by PrinceGenocide
Changed it from chromium to cadmium

1 minute ago, PrinceGenocide said:

I have heard of the the alcubierre drive. Don't really know what it is tho. 

This I can answer.  Think of space like a conveyor belt at an airport.  You can't walk at the speed of light on it but you can move the belt itself so that it is moving faster then the speed of light.

2 minutes ago, PrinceGenocide said:

No I meant chromium.

So you meant cadmium.   

21 minutes ago, Karger said:

This I can answer.  Think of space like a conveyor belt at an airport.  You can't walk at the speed of light on it but you can move the belt itself so that it is moving faster then the speed of light.

So you meant cadmium.   

Oh right cadmium sorry. 

And the alcubierre drive. Right I think I heard the theory of it when I watched the new star trek. The first one where old spock time travels. 

Edited by PrinceGenocide
Spock not spook

I always go in a different direction with near LS travel in the cosmere. The reason photons go so fast is because their massless. The energy needed to make something massless really fast is relatively small. I think scadrian near light speed travel will be achieved with a normal rocket ship and some fun ettmetal/F-iron combo to make the rocket way practically nothing. The fuel will then propel it at greater speeds for greater distances. 

13 hours ago, PrinceGenocide said:

So the cockpit of the craft would experience a few hours or less , whereas the rest of the craft would experience yrs or centuries.

coming at this from an engineering perspective, that sounds terrible. you would have to preform all sorts of checks and tests every few seconds (relative to the cockpit) to make sure that the vessel 'flies' correctly. if something goes wrong, it could take days for you to find the problem. 

Other than this,  think that it could work. Maybe. 

13 hours ago, PrinceGenocide said:

And the alcubierre drive. Right I think I heard the theory of it when I watched the new star trek. The first one where old spock time travels. 

Karger seems to tired and/or time constrained to give a detailed description of the alcubierre drive, so I’ll give it a shot. As he basically said, the idea is that the craft isn’t moving through space. Instead, space is moving and carrying the spacecraft along with it. This bypasses the limitations of light speed since there appear to be no limits to the rate at which space can expand or contract. Not sure how much of this is familiar to you from Star Trek. I’ve seen the recent movies, but I don’t remember them talking about this.

What’s more relevant is how the metallic arts can achieve such technology. The idea is that bendalloy and cadmium would be used to affect space instead of time. Space and time are a continuum, so since the metals can affect one, they must be able to affect the other as well. This means bendalloy could be used to contract space in front of the craft while cadmium expands space behind the craft. IMO this seems pretty different from your idea, which focuses on the time dilatory effects of the metals instead of their effects on space.

On 3/8/2020 at 10:41 PM, ILuvHats said:

Karger seems to tired and/or time constrained to give a detailed description of the alcubierre drive, so I’ll give it a shot. As he basically said, the idea is that the craft isn’t moving through space. Instead, space is moving and carrying the spacecraft along with it. This bypasses the limitations of light speed since there appear to be no limits to the rate at which space can expand or contract. Not sure how much of this is familiar to you from Star Trek. I’ve seen the recent movies, but I don’t remember them talking about this.

What’s more relevant is how the metallic arts can achieve such technology. The idea is that bendalloy and cadmium would be used to affect space instead of time. Space and time are a continuum, so since the metals can affect one, they must be able to affect the other as well. This means bendalloy could be used to contract space in front of the craft while cadmium expands space behind the craft. IMO this seems pretty different from your idea, which focuses on the time dilatory effects of the metals instead of their effects on space.

Oooooooooo

That's something. Noice. 

I still like my idea better. But that's cool. 

• Chaos locked this topic