Getting started on Stormlight Fan-fiction

Firstly, let me apologize for the massiveness of the post and its unorganized nature.

I'm not sure how the Sanderson fandom feels about fan fiction. But, with the approach of the fourth book I've been on something of a Stormlight Archive kick. And, while I lack anything resembling followthrough(though I'm trying hard to change that), my brain has started throwing up ideas for crossovers. The idea that caught my imagination is a bit cliche as a Harry Potter crossover, simply for being a Harry Potter crossover. But, my brain won't let go of it, like an axehound playing with a cremling. While it's still very much in the early planning stages, I wanted to seek out the advice of those wiser and with more critical thinking skills or Cosmere knowledge than I.

IDEA: Harry and a few others find their way onto Roshar.

Yes, that's a bit vague. But, going a bit more in-depth with this: The early chapters will likely be the group of Harry Potter characters getting themselves trapped in(and wandering through) the cognitive realm until they can find a way out. Essentially, they're world hoppers. But, Earth as a shard world was very isolated, even though it has a... customs department I think is how Brandon referred to it, within the cognitive realm. But, because of its isolation, the planet is largely a Mystery one might say(not that that has anything to do with the shard there...or does it. It's a mystery.). So, the cognitive realm is - for the most part - new to wizards, though their powers are rather closely linked to it. Transfiguration, for example, is soul casting from a different source(or at least that's how I'm going to run with it).

While in the cognitive realm, they stumble their way into Shadesmar, and eventually onto Roshar(after some shenanigans). I'm playing with the idea fo them encountering some honor spren, and Jasnah(though not at the same time). This is their first encounter with a language barrier. Fudge needing a translator in Goblet of Fire suggests there aren't any translation spells. Or, at least none in common usage. So, Bondsmith hacking isn't really an option. Culture clash will likely be a big thing, too. Though, that will probably happen more once they actually get to Roshar. Again, the beginnings of the planning stage leave specific events here to be decided.

I'm thinking the group will leave Shadesmar either through an Oathgate or somehow stumble upon Honor's Perpendicularity randomly after giving up. Alternatively, this is when they stumble upon Jasnah, and she "else calls" them out. The first "arc" for lack of a better word, will be dedicated to getting a firm grasp of the world around them. This does not mean shard blades for all! Or... any of them. No. They are... oddities... on Roshar. Only the Shin are caucasian in coloring, but their facial features are notably different from late nineteen-hundreds English standard. Facial structure-wise, the Potter characters likely look more Alethi(if my memories of the art is accurate). They are also a mix of light and dark eyed individuals, which is strange in eastern Roshar. Assumptions about social status will likely be made quite frequently. And, the group might have to play into these to remain unnoticed until they can get their feet under them.

The obvious first requirements are shelter, food, and financial security. Faked or real legal papers couldn't hurt either. But... how to get all this is probably extremely dependent upon where they end up. Currently, I'm thinking Kharbranth Transfiguration might make a good source of cash if they had anything to transfigure. They can't exactly use the Davar stratagem reliably. To ease the transition, it might be prudent to implement the "goblins make things easy" cliche found in so much HP fan fiction, and place a Gringotts bank in the Cognitive realm? "Just because wizards ignore possible income sources, human, does not mean goblins will do the same." It's an idea, at least. Start them off with some spheres, converted from Harry's vault at a steep price... Or not. Seeing what alternative sources of income they could come up with without resorting to particularly unsavory methods might be interesting, too.

I'm thinking the Palanaeum might make a fun way for the group to get their "studying" done. Language and the written word. Culture and history.  I don't intend them to stay with Jasnah after meeting her the first time. Though, having them run into her again after a while on their own might be interesting. "You!" "You." Perhaps start the story a year or two before WoK, and have them set up in Kharbranth? The majority of WoK happened on the Shattered Planes. It might be fun to see what trouble the Harry Potter characters could get up to in Taravangian's town. Hermione's parents were doctors(dentists more specifically). Maybe she tries to get a job with the surgeons  when they're running low on cash and ends up recruited by the diagram? Or, accidentally overhears a death rattle? Or, maybe one(or more) of them gets sick because they aren't used to Rosharan diseases? Both? I'm thinking the wizards - being from a completely different shard world - would be another blindspot for the diagram. That might be the end of that "arc." Have them need to make an escape from the Diagram(organization) and flee the city after getting one of their number out. Or, maybe they don't get one of their number out? Seeing friends on opposite sides of a war is always heartrending. 

That's... about as far as my rough plans go. Some questions I have, or aspects of the story I'd like advice about are:

Firstly, who should be in the group from HP!Earth? I have a couple different group makeups in mind. The first is Sirius and Remus, with Harry and maybe a couple other kids from Hogwarts. This would probably lead to the two adults trying to protect Harry and the other kids, with Harry getting annoyed because adults have never really been there for him before. They might see establishing a no-body light-eyed house that suddenly rises to financial prominence as a great prank, as well as making a place Harry can just be a kid... which he'd hate. This might even lead to Sirius needing to accept responsibility and grow up a bit... becoming a radiant in the process because Roshar.

The other group I was thinking about was the six who went to the Department of Mysteries in book five, and leaving the kids without any adults to look to for leadership. This would put Harry in charge. He'd beat himself up over his MASSIVE BLUNDER and want to protect them. And... attract an Honor spren. I am certainly open to other ideas as well. These two just lend themselves to the ever popular divergence point of the Department of Mysteries battle. But, I do want it to be a group. I believe that if there are multiple characters from Harry Potter world, it would give the story a more epic feel, rather than simply "x character in y setting."

Secondly, the obvious elephant in the room is the HP magic system and its interactions with Roshar. Simply put, it breaks things HARD. Duplicating spells. Unlocking charms. I saw one crossover(of the two on FFn) where Lumos would fill spheres with stormlight. And, while I think that's cool... it'd also be busted as all bleep. There's probably a host of other things I'm not thinking of. So, would it be prudent to have spells require stormlight on Roshar? Just claim the investiture takes a different form, and as such a different power source is required? Or, maybe you can infuse wand cores? Or... something?

There are probably a whole lot of other things I'm forgetting. But, it's getting late. And, this is getting long. So, I'll leave it here.

Thanks in advance  for any feedback or suggestions you can give me.

(This probably won't materialize until after I finish reading Rhythm of War. But, I figured I'd get an early start on planning.)

Edited by BasementDwellingRadiant

Oh, this. I would read this if it were done well, and based on all the chewing on this I can see you did, I think it might. If at some point you need technical help with the writing itself I can give that reliably. Any abstract help is hit or miss with me and whether my brain turns over.

If you go with Group One, please don't break HP story canon (this breaks so much HP world canon and that is completely fine with me lol) and have Sirius live. Have them find him in the CR. There's so much potential for those scenes. Where do you have it diverge? Right after book five? In book six somewhere, or maybe in the seventh one where everyone is separated, maybe Remus finds them? Sorry if you did say this and I missed it.

Of course, take as much of this on or ignore as much of this as you would like.

Agreed, Lumos filling spheres with Stormlight sounds like something that would make a story so much less interesting.