The chapter headings

Passion

I recently noticed the WOB that mention the little round shaped picture/symbol things in front of each chapter represent significant events in the past or future of that POV character. This made me go back and look at them.

what is going on in Shallans chapters in wok? First of all it’s the only person I noticed a significant change between books for in wor and forwards her symbol is just the pattern thingy.(I didn’t note any other changes for other characters ther than slight color alterations for flashback chapters.)

secondly it’s the most interesting one of all; but what is it. An exploding mt by the sea?... no wait  it’s an orb(spren  or a moon?) that’s exploding outward while reflecting itself in the water? Or maybe the black my thing with the orb is really carapace the white fluff seems to outline legs.

seriosly what is it? I was looking at it again and then flipped it over and that helped me notice something. Those white fluffy things sure look like dragon heads/crocodile jaws with their maws pointed toward the orb thing. I turned it back the right way and couldn’t unsee it; so from right side up I still see those dragon heads just now they are coming from the sky instead of from underneath underwater.

does anyone else see those heads?

does anyone have any ideas what this is depicting or what the orb like thing is because I am clueless?

14 minutes ago, Passion said:

secondly it’s the most interesting one of all; but what is it. An exploding mt by the sea?... no wait  it’s an orb(spren  or a moon?) that’s exploding outward while reflecting itself in the water? Or maybe the black my thing with the orb is really carapace the white fluff seems to outline legs.

5e60b22805213_Screenshot_20200304-2300522.thumb.png.7a15cb74c6471b42437b3eebaa0adf05.png

Is this the one you're referring too?

The top half with the orb is symmetrical which makes me think of the Shattered Plains with the Oathgate in the middle.

Edited by Eternal Khol

There’s other things I can’t put my finger on the lines shading the whole picture making it fuzzy(not sure how else to describe them) are they just an artist thing or are they supposed to be something? Also focus on the highest point of the circle just with in the lines - are the white fluff(that turns into dragon heads) covering something? Ok these last things might just be an overactive imagination that’s why I didn’t mention them at first because I didn’t want to detract from my observations that I know are real

I blew up the pic you added and the lines are def. supposed to be there. But not sure what

my best guess as to the whole picture is that it is meant to be inverted and when viewed upside down it actually looks like the top half is sky with clouds so that makes it a picture of a white orb like thing possibly a spren being dropped into the ocean where there await 2 sea creatures with half open mouths. Anyone agree?

or top half is not clouds but rather the splashes created by penetrating the sea line

Edited by Passion
mistake

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be picture of Shadesmar. The circle is the small, cold sun, and all the "clouds" are running parallel to each other and towards it. Here's a relevant quote from Jasnah's POV in the prologue of WoR.

She stepped up beside the bead statue, noting for the first time the strange clouds overhead. They seemed to form a narrow ribbon of highway, straight and long, pointing toward the horizon.

The lack of beads is probably just a sizing issue. The image is too small for the detail to show them.

2 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be picture of Shadesmar. The circle is the small, cold sun, and all the "clouds" are running parallel to each other and towards it. Here's a relevant quote from Jasnah's POV in the prologue of WoR.

The lack of beads is probably just a sizing issue. The image is too small for the detail to show them.

I agree with this. Does this mean that the picture for Navani is a fabrial? That is what I have always seen it as. 

3 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

Agreed too. It looks like Shadesmar, with the tiny white "sun" and the clouds seeming to point at it.

6 minutes ago, Bookish Ocelot said:

Has anyone noticed a correspondence between the heralds pictured and the events in the chapter? I haven't been able to find one, but it seems random, so there's probably a Brandon Sanderson hidden message somewhere. 

Isaac usually picks them, based on the theme of the chapter.

Questioner

You know the artwork... the arches with the faces? What are those?

Brandon Sanderson

Those are each of the Heralds. And those archways, Isaac picks based on what he thinks the themes of the chapter are. I don't pick which faces go on there. He reads the chapter... he tries to align what's happening with the emotions represented by the various characters. 

Questioner

And the thing underneath it is?

Brandon Sanderson

Generally the symbol of the viewpoint character. But those shift. Like for instance we sometimes start with a general one, and as the characters get more individual we add ones specifically for them. Usually you'll have one that's the viewpoint character, and then like for instance the ones for Jasnah and Shallan split apart when originally they just had one, and stuff like that.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

The Divine attributes. So Ishar for example is Pious and Guiding, so he shows up when those traits are important to what's going on in the chapter. So he might show up if the chapter talks about Bondsmiths, or if Ishar personally shows up or is discussed.

And also there's the unofficial 'eleventh Herald', the masked man, whose presence almost always means 'Hoid is in this chapter.'

Edited by Gilphon

On 3/6/2020 at 1:14 PM, Gilphon said:

The Divine attributes. So Ishar for example is Pious and Guiding, so he shows up when those traits are important to what's going on in the chapter. So he might show up if the chapter talks about Bondsmiths, or if Ishar personally shows up or is discussed.

And also there's the unofficial 'eleventh Herald', the masked man, whose presence almost always means 'Hoid is in this chapter.'

I didn't know the bit about Hoid! I'll look out for that now. 

• Chaos locked this topic