How often did the parshendi get to a plateau before the bridgemen

EMB1981

So I’ve been reading through TWoK and I remember reading a passage that said the bridge men would often run without hesitation or never slack simply because of the fact that there was always a small hope that one could run fast enough to simply get there before the parshendi could get to and secure a plateau for fire upon the bridge men. How often does this actually happen?

Edited by EMB1981
Hide post

3 minutes ago, EMB1981 said:

So I’ve been reading through TWoK and I remember reading a passage that said the bridge men would often run without hesitation or never slack simply because of the fact that there was always a small hope that one could run fast enough to simply get there before the parshendi could get to and secure a plateau for fire upon the bridge men. How often does this actually happen?

It doesn't really say to my knowledge, but I think that it happened likely one time in four, because of how fast the Parsendi moved, only the ones near the camp could be reached by bridge unhindered

Aladar was successful in 1/3 assaults.  I do not think parshendi can usually take a plateau from an entrenched alethi army who have better training, armor and weapons and can sustain higher casualties.  As such I would say that parshendi nearly always make it there first.

I'm in the process of re-reading Way of Kings during my full re-read in preparation for Rhythm of War. They don't specifically mention a percentage or number of times who got there first (though if you give me time, I could list the number of times specifically mentioned where we see them arrive prior to the parsh or after). The things they do mention is the location referred to as the "Tower" as being the furthest point. That it is closest to the Parshendi so they tend to get there first. Otherwise it depends on who spots the chrysalis first, who is closest, and who can get there the fastest. 

Also the Alethi getting there first does not guarantee victory. Kaladin mentions during one run that it was good for the bridgemen, because they got there first, but bad for the soldiers because the parsh were able to push them off when they arrived after. 

Edited by Pathfinder

40 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Also the Alethi getting there first does not guarantee victory. Kaladin mentions during one run that it was good for the bridgemen, because they got there first, but bad for the soldiers because the parsh were able to push them off when they arrived after. 

I think that was something of a near simultaneous arrival IE they got there first by a minute or two but did not have time to fully entrench themselves.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

I think that was something of a near simultaneous arrival IE they got there first by a minute or two but did not have time to fully entrench themselves.

Way of Kings page 384

Bridge Four hand been called out on a bridge run today. Thankfully, they'd arrived before the Parshendi, and none of the bridge crews had lost any men. Things hadn't gone so well for the regular Alethi troops. The Alethi line had eventually buckled before the Parshendi assault, and the bridge crews had been forced to lead a tired, angry, and defeated troop of soldiers back to camp. 

Just now, Pathfinder said:

Bridge Four hand been called out on a bridge run today. Thankfully, they'd arrived before the Parshendi, and none of the bridge crews had lost any men. Things hadn't gone so well for the regular Alethi troops. The Alethi line had eventually buckled before the Parshendi assault, and the bridge crews had been forced to lead a tired, angry, and defeated troop of soldiers back to camp. 

It takes time for troops to get into formation after crossing.  If you don't have enough time to get things in order your lines can buckle. 

This topic was double-posted, @Kon-Tiki, could you copy and paste your response?

Aladar says to Dalinar that he wins 1 in 3 runs, if that gives you any context. Aladar is one of the more successful highprinces at doing gemheart runs

I'll hide this comment afterwards

Edited by Dreamer

• Chaos locked this topic