Oathgate theory

Impact

So I checked some WoBs, and a few different posts and didn't see an answer to this (I could be wrong which seems to happen every other time I come up with a "new" or "cool" idea)

Could the instantaneous travel from the Oathgates be because they go through the Spiritual Realm?  If all things are everywhere, maybe the OG platforms do their little switcheroo there.

4 minutes ago, Impact said:

So I checked some WoBs, and a few different posts and didn't see an answer to this (I could be wrong which seems to happen every other time I come up with a "new" or "cool" idea)

Could the instantaneous travel from the Oathgates be because they go through the Spiritual Realm?  If all things are everywhere, maybe the OG platforms do their little switcheroo there.

Brandon is still working out the kinks and trying to decide. WoB below:

Questioner

Did humans come to Roshar through Shadesmar?

Brandon Sanderson

It is technology or magic closer to how the Oathgates work. But it was like that. It's not canon but right now that's what I have. It's not canon because there are certain things I have to work out before that can work...

By the way I'll just say to the tape recording that I haven't canonized, like for instance if they traveled to Shadesmar to get to Shinovar from Ashyn. Right now I have that not being via Shadesmar, but the mechanics of that might not work out, and I might have to default to Shadesmar. So there's certain things, you'll see, where I say, "This isn't the canon answer, it's where I have things right now."

Overlord Jebus

So Urithiru might end up being a spaceship after all.

Brandon Sanderson

It's not that. Right now I have them using something closer to Oathgating, but it opens up a huge can of worms, when I'm not requiring direct-- When I'm sending through Spiritual Realm it opens up cans of worms, and I have to just make sure the mechanics on that are tight before I do it.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

7 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Brandon is still working out the kinks and trying to decide. WoB below:

That was the closest answer I could find.  This is really meant to be a speculation and not something I am expecting an answer on from anyone.  I just like sharing theories

7 minutes ago, Impact said:

That was the closest answer I could find.  This is really meant to be a speculation and not something I am expecting an answer on from anyone.  I just like sharing theories

Then honestly, I think the spiritual realm would make the most sense. it is all places and all times, so it would the the equivalency of "folding space" and punching a hole through. 

23 minutes ago, Impact said:

I mean it makes way more sense then almost any other theory we have for what is going on.  It might be slightly more or less complicated then this but that is the prevailing opinion on what is happening to the best of my knowledge.

That ninja was rather weird but "great minds."

Edited by Karger
edit

Short answer is that we don't know yet.

Long answer: Since they're just on Roshar right now, a speed-of-light type movement through the CR or PR would certainly still work, since they're close enough together that there wouldn't be a noticeable difference. Then again, a transfer to the SR, location shifting, then back to PR would also work, if done the right way.

17 minutes ago, RShara said:

Short answer is that we don't know yet.

Long answer: Since they're just on Roshar right now, a speed-of-light type movement through the CR or PR would certainly still work, since they're close enough together that there wouldn't be a noticeable difference. Then again, a transfer to the SR, location shifting, then back to PR would also work, if done the right way.

I know we don't know yet.  I also hadn't seen any posts on this particular idea and wanted to see what people thought about it.

• Chaos locked this topic