Vorin Leadership Secrets

Philomath

Is it possible that the curates and Holy Enclave in the Vorin Church are a possible secret society on Roshar as well? There are several theories around in particular relating to the Davar family and their affiliations with secret societies that seem suspect. I propose that the Vorin church could be another group that has a lot to lose if Radiants were to start returning. Therefore it is in their best interests to make sure that doesn’t happen. This could relate to some of the questions people have relating to Shallan’s mother and her “acquaintance.” I’ve heard some people question whether they were really skybreakers. Vorinism is just really sketchy at this time in Rosharan history and I wouldn’t be surprised at the lengths leaders would go to in order to stay in power. 

1) The Vorin religious structure is hardly a secret society, and the secret society trying to build the Vorin church up is the Sons of Honor, at least on the surface level and to many of its members, including at least Amaram.

2) That they're threatened by Dalinar and his Radiants and the Desolation and what that means is undeniable. They have the further shock of the Heralds' lie in their future, too. That there are those among them willing to do really dumb things in a vain attempt to preserve their own importance and power, I think, is to be expected. That some of this will happen secretly? Absolutely.

3) I think faking out that Shallan's mother's friend was a Skybreaker when really he was associated with the Vorins (and would therefore probably be more of a Son of Honor than anything?) to be a not very interesting twist. And the Skybreakers are sufficiently and clearly motivated to kill young Shallan, while I don't think the Vorins or the Sons of Honor would be.

39 minutes ago, Philomath said:

Is it possible that the curates and Holy Enclave in the Vorin Church are a possible secret society on Roshar as well?

I personally believe that they are the leadership of the sons of honor whose stated goals do include returning the vorin church to power.   It would also make some of Gavilar's action make sense.  How did he get so many talented intellectuals behind him without being able to read.  How does he seem to know everything about all of the Lighteyes in his kingdom without any word on an intelligence network.  How did he get famous artfabrians to build the voidspren prison stones? 

39 minutes ago, Philomath said:

returning. Therefore it is in their best interests to make sure that doesn’t happen. This could relate to some of the questions people have relating to Shallan’s mother and her “acquaintance.” I’ve heard some people question whether they were really skybreakers

The ghoostblods claim they were and Heleran did manage to track them down and join them.  Some people are questioning this but at least so far the story holds up.

Edited by Karger

To back up Karger on this, I'm going to go further and speculate that Restares, the leader of the Sons of Honor, is an Ardent who's gonna show up and make trouble for Jasnah and Dalinar in the next book. 

Though really both the Vorin church and the Sons of Honor are probably in their dying days as organizations. 

Well the Sons of Honor want the Church to become what it once was. I could see the current incarnation of the church wanting to keep things the same. They are still the dominant church on Roshar, and have their "people" embedded with just about every single world power via ardents. For all we know there was a group that made the church seem like it reformed on purpose, so they could advance other aims in the background. Isn't that what is a lot of theories regarding the stone shamanate? Why not Vorinism as well?

• Chaos locked this topic