Why can Vin burn the mists?

aneonfoxtribute

I don't know if I'm forgetting something obvious or what, but I don't remember why Vin has the ability to burn the mists. I initially thought it was because she was the Hero of Ages, but she wasn't so that's not the case. I looked on both Vin's page and on the page for the mists on Coppermind and only saw a mention of "some Allomancers can draw on the mists for power", which doesn't really answer the question. It does say that it can function incidentally as a fuel for allomancy, but why is it only certain people who can do this? Why can Vin do this but Elend, or Kelsier, or Shan Elariel, or anyone else that we know can't? Is it just because Preservation chose her to be able to do it?

yeah, pretty much. She can draw on the mists because Preservation chose her and basically made a link to her that is Connection so that she can use the mists. If you had a large amount of Connection (or specific Connection) to Preservation, then you could likely draw on the mists. 

59 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Why can Vin do this but Elend, or Kelsier, or Shan Elariel, or anyone else that we know can't? Is it just because Preservation chose her to be able to do it?

She is super connected to preservation and she used the power at the well of ascension that attuned her to them.  There is more but even Harmony by his own account does not know it.

Sazed writes before the Epilogue of HoA

Nobody else could draw upon the mists. I have determined this. Why were they open to Vin and not others? I suspect that she couldn’t have taken them all in until after she’d touched the power at the Well of Ascension. It was always meant, I believe, to be something of an attuning force. Something that, once touched, would adjust a person’s body to be able to accept the mists.

It does raise questions on why TLR couldn't use the mists, but there could be a number of reasons for that including but not limited to his bands.

1 hour ago, Tide Eyed said:

Sazed writes before the Epilogue of HoA

It does raise questions on why TLR couldn't use the mists, but there could be a number of reasons for that including but not limited to his bands.

the mists were actively searching for someone to become the new Vessel of Preservation.The Mists/Leras chose Vin from a very young age to be this person. im assuming that when she was  "chosen", the mists started to key to her Identity.

Vin was only 1-3 years old when the Mists Chose her.

Alendi probably also drew upon the mists at one point

Brandon Sanderson

Chapter Seventy-Nine

The Mists Chose Someone

There's a lot more going on behind the scenes than even the author of these epigraphs knows. Reasons why Vin was chosen, and why the power of Preservation needed a new mind to control it.

The author is right in that Preservation did need someone to control its power, and it did seek for a host in which to invest itself. It began this search with what mind it had left about sixteen years before the return of the power to the Well of Ascension, just as it began a search for a new host before the return of the power the previous time.

Unfortunately, just as Ruin took control and manipulated Alendi, he took control and manipulated Vin.

The Hero of Ages Annotations (May 13, 2010)

Questioner

How was Vin able to use the mists against the Lord Ruler even though they hadn't been keyed to her?

Brandon Sanderson

That-- You are making an assumption there, and so tell him he might be making the wrong assumption.

Skyward San Francisco signing (Nov. 8, 2018)

The Lord Ruler held the power of the Well but was never Chosen by Preservation. Therefore, No Mist Burning

Edited by Eternal Khol

On 3/3/2020 at 8:26 PM, Eternal Khol said:

Chosen by Preservation

This is the part I hate most. I accept that's how the story is, but I hate it.

On 3/2/2020 at 7:52 PM, aneonfoxtribute said:

"some Allomancers can draw on the mists for power"

Back to this. It doesn't seem to me that Allomancers are 'drawing' on the mists for power. I've always thought that the mists would act as a sort of natural amplifier to allomacy, reminiscent of how the mists accommodate tineyes. To the degree it harmonizes with the allomancer might have to do with how connected they are to Preservation

I'll have to re-scrape the WoBs again, but I've been wondering if a person spiked similarly to Edwarn or Telsin would struggle to pierce the mists with tin.

Edited by Tide Eyed

1 hour ago, Tide Eyed said:

1. Back to this. It doesn't seem to me that Allomancers are 'drawing' on the mists for power. I've always thought that the mists would act as a sort of natural amplifier to allomacy, reminiscent of how the mists accommodate tineyes. To the degree it harmonizes with the allomancer might have to do with how connected they are to Preservation

2. I'll have to re-scrape the WoBs again, but I've been wondering if a person spiked similarly to Edwarn or Telsin would struggle to pierce the mists with tin.

1. Vin  in HoA uses the mists to completely fuel her Allomancy.

"When you burn most Allomantic metals, it opens a conduit through which you can draw upon Preservation's power and use it in very specific ways." 
metals allow you to access a specific form of the power. but what happens when you already have the power? you can use it how you want(at least in the form of Allomancy)

2.now that Harmony is in control, the mists no longer pull away from Hemalurgy, so i bet its possible. but the mists are far less common in Era 2, so that ability might not be that useful

16 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

Vin  in HoA uses the mists to completely fuel her Allomancy

this was not in question.

17 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

now that Harmony is in control, the mists no longer pull away from Hemalurgy, so i bet its possible. but the mists are far less common in Era 2, so that ability might not be that useful

this was not the point either. the question is to narrow how the mists interact when people are using allomancy and we only see full eye-spiked inquisitors or single spiked individuals. so perhaps i should have specified era 1, but the mists being rare in era 2 it seemed clear what the question was targeting

8 minutes ago, Tide Eyed said:
33 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

Vin  in HoA uses the mists to completely fuel her Allomancy

this was not in question

You said you think of the mists as an amplifier for people already using allomancy. The fact that Vin uses the mists to power her allomancy shows it's not just a amplifier. Thats my point

Or were you referring to how it interacts with Allomancer's when using allomancy normally?

Edited by Eternal Khol

Just now, Eternal Khol said:

You said you think of the mists as an amplifier for people already using allomancy. The fact that Vin uses the mists to power her allomancy shows it's not just a amplifier. Get it now?

No, i was addressing the how the point was raised "some allomancerS" can draw upon the mists. and I use it to ramble on with craziness but you missed the s of the quote. I suppose we could have moved into era2 again to explain how the allomancers was plural due to the changing of the mists now that harmony holds 2 shards, but that doesn't allow me to talk crazy so it wasn't what i was addressing.

12 minutes ago, Tide Eyed said:

No, i was addressing the how the point was raised "some allomancerS" can draw upon the mists. and I use it to ramble on with craziness but you missed the s of the quote. I suppose we could have moved into era2 again to explain how the allomancers was plural due to the changing of the mists now that harmony holds 2 shards, but that doesn't allow me to talk crazy so it wasn't what i was addressing.

Ohhh. . . Okay. Your were referring to era 2 the whole time, right?

I'm very confused here.

"I decided that Sazed would still send them. They're part of the nature of the world now. To acknowledge what had happened, they wouldn't come every night any longer. But they would come. They were changed in that they are no longer simply the raw power of Preservation; they're now a part of Harmony—so they no longer pull away from Hemalurgy in the same way as they used to. They still have the odd effect of being able to power Allomancy. (And Feruchemy as well—if one knows how to do it.)

The mists are, in part, the raw power of creation. And when one is favored of Harmony, the mists have a greater effect than they might otherwise have. We'll see more of this later."

So in Era 2, the mists can still power allomancy and if Harmony favors the person, theyll work better.

So how do they draw upon them to begin with. Did Harmony change how it's works?

Edited by Eternal Khol

Nono, let me try to get the right. I was in era 1 fantasy land saying "some allomancers can draw upon the mists" would not refer to allomancers drawing on the mists, but the strength and safety some mistings and mistborn feel in the mists. And from there I springboard into nonsense using tineyes as the start.

1 minute ago, Tide Eyed said:

Nono, let me try to get the right. I was in era 1 fantasy land saying "some allomancers can draw upon the mists" would not refer to allomancers drawing on the mists, but the strength and safety some mistings and mistborn feel in the mists. And from there I springboard into nonsense using tineyes as the start.

Ohhhhhhh. I get it now.

I bet it does have to do with the mists. Being surrounded by Preservation's power and all, after so long of burning metals and using Preservation's power I'm sure the mists would have some passive effect's(seeing through the mists included)