15 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

Creating Aons is a soundless process, some offensive Aons might create vibrations as they're charging up or fired 

" Curiously, the Aons produce sounds otherwise unused in the general languages of the area."

-Khriss

"First, the Aons have to be older than the Aonic language. They're based directly off of the land. So, the lines that make up the characters aren't arbitrary. Perhaps the sounds associated with them are, but the meanings–at least in part–are inherent. "

-Brandon

I think it all Aons make sounds when in effect

7 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

" Curiously, the Aons produce sounds otherwise unused in the general languages of the area."

-Khriss

"First, the Aons have to be older than the Aonic language. They're based directly off of the land. So, the lines that make up the characters aren't arbitrary. Perhaps the sounds associated with them are, but the meanings–at least in part–are inherent. "

-Brandon

I do believe in both of those cases Khriss and Brandon are referring to the sounds one makes when speaking the language. I don't believe they are talking about the Invested Aons making any sound when they are written.  

13 minutes ago, Dancer said:

I do believe in both of those cases Khriss and Brandon are referring to the sounds one makes when speaking the language. I don't believe they are talking about the Invested Aons making any sound when they are written.  

I think the Brandon WoB may be so.

Khriss says "the Aons produce sounds"

This is in the Arcanum which is more of the magic stuff that language, etc...

"But who, then, created them? And did they create them to describe the landscape, or did the landscape somehow dictate the shape and sounds of the Aons?"

-khriss

Edited by Eternal Khol

6 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

-Khriss

-Brandon

6 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

I think the Brandon WoB may be so.

Khriss says "the Aons produce sounds"

This is in the Arcanum which is more of the magic stuff that language, etc...

"But who, then, created them? And did they create them to describe the landscape, or did the landscape somehow dictate the shape and sounds of the Aons?"

-khriss

She's still talking about the language. Since Aons are the script, she's asking about the spoken version: how certain sounds came to be associated with certain Aons, or if the sounds were somehow as inherent to them as their shape.

Plus, we see several Aons being drawn in the book, drawing Aons does not produce sound 

1 hour ago, Dreamer said:

She's still talking about the language. Since Aons are the script, she's asking about the spoken version: how certain sounds came to be associated with certain Aons, or if the sounds were somehow as inherent to them as their shape.

Plus, we see several Aons being drawn in the book, drawing Aons does not produce sound 

"Curiously, the Aons produce sounds otherwise unused in the general languages of the area."

She specifically says they make sounds that AREN'T used in the language

And she says "Aons" not "aonic" which is the language

"Most likely, the early Elantrians (who probably didn't even have Elantris back then) would have had to learn the Aons by trial and error, finding what each one did, and associating its meaning and sound with its effect"

Edited by Eternal Khol

On 3/2/2020 at 6:53 PM, Eternal Khol said:

"Curiously, the Aons produce sounds otherwise unused in the general languages of the area."

She specifically says they make sounds that AREN'T used in the language

And she says "Aons" not "aonic" which is the language

"Most likely, the early Elantrians (who probably didn't even have Elantris back then) would have had to learn the Aons by trial and error, finding what each one did, and associating its meaning and sound with its effect"

That means that the Aon sounds are not used in the geographical area. The Aonic language itself incorporates the Aons and built its vocabulary around it but its vowels and combos do not resemble the base Aon sounds. Meaning the Aons were probably added afterwards. Which means either the Aons pronunciations were inherent to the Aons or the original Elantrians left behind a knowledge base

Look at that line again "Curiously, the Aons produce sounds otherwise unused in the general languages of the area" first of all why would Khriss search for mystical sounds in Arelon?

Aon sounds, the pronunciations, do not exist in other languages in the area. It's from a different language tree

finding what each one did, and associating its meaning and sound with its effect", this line directly stated that she's talking about sounds in the context of spoken language

Edited by Dreamer
typo

9 hours ago, Dreamer said:

That means that the Aon sounds are not used in the geographical area. The Aonic language itself incorporates the Aons and built its vocabulary around it but its vowels and combos do not resemble the base Aon sounds. Meaning the Aons were probably added afterwards. Which means either the Aons pronunciations were inherent to the Aons or the original Elantrians left behind a knowledge base

Look at that line again "Curiously, the Aons produce sounds otherwise unused in the general languages of the area" first of all why would Khriss search for mystical sounds in Arelon?

Aon sounds, the pronunciations, do not exist in other languages in the area. It's from a different language tree

finding what each one did, and associating its meaning and sound with its effect", this line directly stated that she's taking about sounds in the context of spoken language

i haven't been wanting to admit they don't make sounds, but it seems you are right.:rolleyes: