A clue to new shardplate

Nellac

So, I was reading WoR the other day and something stuck out to me. At the end when Dalinar bonds the stormfather the stormfather says something interesting. He says that he won't be a blade for Dalinar and that Dalinar would be a radiant without Shards. Shards, plural. Now this might just be another error of the stormfather, but if not it brings an interesting question to the table. Why would Dalinar not get shardplate? Not sure how important this is, but it might give one more clue about how plate is created.

5 minutes ago, Nellac said:

Why would Dalinar not get shardplate? Not sure how important this is, but it might give one more clue about how plate is created.

Someone asked and it was RAFOed.

LameLamas

Will Dalinar get Shardplate once he swears his Fourth Ideal? Or Bondsmiths don’t have Plates?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. :)

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 15, 2018)

Edited by Karger

For what it's worth, I took that as the Stormfather banning him from using dead shardblades and/or existing plate.  I know he complains later when Dalinar so much as carries a dead shardblade, and if Im not mistaken he gave his own Plate to Renarin after Bonding.  

On 3/2/2020 at 8:54 AM, Quantus said:

For what it's worth, I took that as the Stormfather banning him from using dead shardblades and/or existing plate.  I know he complains later when Dalinar so much as carries a dead shardblade, and if Im not mistaken he gave his own Plate to Renarin after Bonding.  

He gave the plate to Renarin beforehand. As far as I know, Radiants don't get backlash from plate like they do with blades

On 3/2/2020 at 10:54 AM, Quantus said:

Renarin was able to where the plate no problem so the issue does not seem to extend in that direction.  This indicates that Dalinar could just borrow someone's if he needs to.

11 hours ago, Nellac said:

He gave the plate to Renarin beforehand. As far as I know, Radiants don't get backlash from plate like they do with blades

10 hours ago, Karger said:

Renarin was able to where the plate no problem so the issue does not seem to extend in that direction.  This indicates that Dalinar could just borrow someone's if he needs to.

Im not saying every radiant (or any of them for that matter) is going to get the same sort of mental scream issue with the Plate that they all seem to have with Shardblades, Im just saying that the Stormfather specifically made Dalinar promise not to use "Shards", which to the spren mind might very well extend to Plate as well as Blades since both are considered "Shards".  

Edited by Quantus

15 hours ago, Nellac said:

I'd like to add that in during the Kaladin and Adolin team duel Kal was using the plate piece he took just fine without hearing the screams but when he pulled of the lastclap the heard the screams. Seems to further support the notion that radiants could use the current Shardplate as we know it. 

On 3/1/2020 at 5:02 PM, Nellac said:

Shards, plural. Now this might just be another error of the stormfather, but if not it brings an interesting question to the table. Why would Dalinar not get shardplate?

I took his answer at his word, that he would not be a Shardblade and I think you answered it in this statement. Plural. I do not believe their bond would stop Dalinar from having Live Plate. I always found interesting parts in the Chasmfiend Hunt chapter of WoK (Chapter 13).

Again the world lurched, and metal hit stone in a cacophony as he slid.

No! he thought, getting a gauntleted hand beneath himself and heaving, using the momentum of his slide to throw himself upright. As the sky spun, something seemed to right, as if the Plate itself knew which way was up. He landed—still moving, feet grinding on stone.

Dalinar charged toward the king, moving with a speed and grace no man—not even one wearing Shardplate—should be able to manage. 

Dalinar held back the claw and matched its strength, a figure in dark, silvery metal that almost seemed to glow.

What's to say in his Proto-Radiant bond he wasn't amplifying the plate's latent abilities? We've never read Adolin describing his combat like this.

On 3/1/2020 at 5:07 PM, Karger said:

Someone asked and it was RAFOed.

Well, Brandon can't go giving away all future reveals, can he?

On 3/1/2020 at 9:34 PM, Booknerd said:

Interesting, I always thought that Bondsmiths had plate but no blade. This is very interesting.

I think you're correct. What good would a Bondsmith do on a battlefield, unable to achieve plate, while surrounded by an army of Radiants in plate? 

• Chaos locked this topic