Why “Vessels Are Not Infinite”

Confused

Many posters have analyzed the WoB that says this. Here is the WoB again. I highlight the critical language. My interpretation follows.

Overlord Jebus

Is all Investiture in the cosmere associated with a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, well, okay. So this is a complicated one. *pauses* So, Investiture predates the Shattering of Adonalsium, all Investiture was from Adonalsium, all Investiture got assigned to one of the 16 Shards when Adonalsium was Shattered. Some of the Investiture was not on Yolen but location is irrelevant. So Investiture is related to Shards even on planets where none of the Shards are inhabiting. 

Overlord Jebus

Are they aware of that Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

That's part of the whole seeing into the infinite, being beyond even the power of a Shard. So, technically you could make the argument that Harmony could feel the sense of Preservation on every world in the cosmere, right? Because the building blocks of all life and creation are these things.

Overlord Jebus

So the Shard of Preservation embodies all preservation in the cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes but he just can't do that, right? Like, he's not infinite. The Vessels are not, even if their minds are enormously expanded by holding a Shard, they are not infinite. The Connection is all there in the Spiritual Realm

[Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017).]

IMO, Adonalsium was “infinite” because his mind inhabited his soul and was co-extensive with it. (Adonalsium is an anagram for “a mind, a soul.”) Adonalsium was both “transcendent” – occupying the Spiritual Realm – and “immanent” – pervading the Physical Realm. Adonalsium’s spirit, mind, and body were one.

Shards are slices of Adonalsium. The Vessels’ minds Connect to those slices – “The Connection is all there in the Spiritual Realm.” Vessel minds are not co-extensive with their slices the way Adonalsium was with the entire cosmere. Vessels don’t know the Physical Realm location of their Shard’s “assigned Investiture” and instead must search for it. IMO, that is the sense Vessels are “not infinite.”

Edited by Confused

To make up for the derailment I’m about to continue, I have to say I don’t understand why this WoB is under debate - it makes perfect sense to me that the Vessels aren’t infinite. They’re just the people holding the Shards, and we’ve seen their perspective; for the most part, besides how the Intent, experience, etc. alters them, there isn’t an inherent, immediate change in who they are. Their minds still aren’t infinite, only human/Sho Del/whatever. 

Preservation is the crust, because most people eat that last and it’s preserved the longest. (Sorry, I know that’s not a topping.) 

It makes sense that mortals who gain hold of a shard only have their mental capacity expanded and not made infinite, since not only are they still just a "vessel", they also only hold a fraction of Adonalsium's power. Also:

Odium is like a pepper-so hot it burns your tongue.

Honor is like cheese, it's the opposite of spicy and it binds the pizza together.

2 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

What have I done... it’s beautiful. 

Dominion would be the sauce, as it fully covers each slice (well, except for the crust), therefore dominating the pizza. 

Skai never did like Leras 

Devotion is pepperoni, because most people love pepperoni. 

1 hour ago, Brgst13 said:

Ruin is pineapple, just a great way to ruin a good pizza.

I think I disagree - pineapple is more like Harmony; conflicting opinions, has stayed around a long time, some people hate it but others love it, while most are indifferent but certainly think it exists... 

Edited by AonEne

2 hours ago, DiePie said:

Ruin's like the person who eats the pizza (clever comparison between entropy and eating a pizza)

But he's that person who always leaves the crust behind. 

@DiePie Wait, you're a sentient food endowed with breath as well? Cool! 

6 hours ago, AonEne said:

Skai never did like Leras

He was just jealous because he wanted to date Ati but Leras got there first. No you cannot change my mind. (Unless when Dragonsteel releases they're non-canon or they just really don't work together in a relationship). I don't even know why I stared shipping them in the first place. I think it started out as a joke ship and then it just turned into an actual ship? Sorry for derailing this thread even more than it already has been.

12 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

He was just jealous because he wanted to date Ati but Leras got there first. No you cannot change my mind. (Unless when Dragonsteel releases they're non-canon or they just really don't work together in a relationship). I don't even know why I stared shipping them in the first place. I think it started out as a joke ship and then it just turned into an actual ship? Sorry for derailing this thread even more than it already has been.

Y e s. Have you read that fanfic of the two of them? I think Comatose wrote it but I could be misremembering here. 

10 hours ago, AonEne said:

Y e s. Have you read that fanfic of the two of them? I think Comatose wrote it but I could be misremembering here. 

THAT’S WHAT IT WAS! I remember now, when I first discovered the Shard I was looking around the site and read it (this was a couple of years ago when I didn’t want to make an account because I hadn’t caught up on all of the cosmere). But that’s when I moved from joke shipping them to real shipping them.

Thanks, @Dreamer (should we come up with a new nickname for you?). Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to go read it again. 

Edited by The Awakened Salad

5 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

THAT’S WHAT IT WAS! I remember now, when I first discovered the Shard I was looking around the site and read it (this was a couple of years ago when I didn’t want to make an account because I hadn’t caught up on all of the cosmere). But that’s when I moved from joke shipping them to real shipping them.

Thanks, @Dreamer (should we come up with a new nickname for you?). Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to go read it again. 

Yeah, go Leras x Ati!

You can still call me Hon, ;)

• Chaos locked this topic