An interesting Syl quote

Frustration

I'm thinking this could help a theory of mine but I want some more Info up front just in case so in Oathbringer Syl says,"" Besides, there was . . . another voice. Pure, with a song like tapped crystal, distant yet demanding . . ."" -page 77 I looked into the Arcanum and couldn't find anything, I'm certain I'm not the first person to notice, and I'm pretty bad at finding what I want there does anyone have any information on this? 

2 minutes ago, Karger said:

She is referencing the feeling of Kaladin's brother.  Spren don't exactly experience time linearly.  Glys is the best example of this but Syl does it too sometimes.

Are we certain, I don't doubt you I just really want it to be Cultivation, the Crystal fits there as we only have crystal reference(to my knowledge) With Yelig-nar and Cultivation Spren.

17 minutes ago, Booknerd said:

Are we certain, I don't doubt you I just really want it to be Cultivation, the Crystal fits there as we only have crystal reference(to my knowledge) With Yelig-nar and Cultivation Spren.

Checking against we technically do not know for sure as I have seen no WoBs on the subject but "A voice of tapped crystal" seems to be more of a poetic description.

18 minutes ago, Robot said:

Distant yet demanding doesn't sound much like Tien. Brandon said there would be no moving back in time so it should all be lineal.

Distant yet demanding sounds exactly like a baby brother.  Sorry if I did not make that clear.

Edited by Karger

5 hours ago, Karger said:

Distant yet demanding sounds exactly like a baby brother.  Sorry if I did not make that clear.

Also, I have experienced music so beautiful that it demanded my attention. So ‘Demanding’ doesn’t necessarily mean that it was loud or obnoxious.

I immediately thought of Tien when I read that.

Edited by IllNsickly
Evidently, my I have typed ‘Demandared’ often enough that my phone autocorrects it... Hmm...

On 28/02/2020 at 8:11 AM, CosmicSieve said:

Doesn't make me think of Tien, or his potential spren. Why would it call to Syl? I hope it is explained, because it is curious.

Maybe Tien had the potential to be either a Lightweaver or a Windrunner, or maybe Syl heard the voice of the one Kaladin need to protect

5 hours ago, mathiau said:

Maybe Tien had the potential to be either a Lightweaver or a Windrunner, or maybe Syl heard the voice of the one Kaladin need to protect

Maybe. Or maybe not. I still don't see Tien in the quote: "Besides, there was . . . another voice. Pure, with a song like tapped crystal, distant yet demanding . . ."

It is an odd quote. So far, no other spren has mentioned anything like this. Pattern has not yet mentioned how he and Shallan were drawn to Jasnah-- and Jasnah rejected Shallan to start with, despite having a bond with a spren that has been maturing for six years. So I can't conclude that crystalline voices have anything to do with Radiant spren glomming to the same area, though information in future books might change that. We do know that they tend to glom to the same area once a bunch of them have bonded a potential Knight (Nale mentions this). There is also that poor little Cryptic that was after Elhoker-- maybe something attracted it to the Shattered Plains, or maybe it just wanted to bond with the King of the Alethi. Rather coincidently Kaladin and Syl arrived on the Shattered Plains at about this time. The Honor spren later all show up where Syl and Kaladin are. I am curious to know the source of the crystal voice, and whether any other spren experienced it.

On 3/1/2020 at 6:49 AM, mathiau said:

Tien was a budding Lighweaver.

Questioner

In Stormlight, with Kaladin and his brother Tien, is there a connection or a reason why, whenever his brother finds a rock, that keeps coming up several times?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. So, there's a couple themes going on here. One is just the subtle theme that Tien tends to find beauty in things that Kaladin finds dull. That's, of course, kind of the metaphor. But Tien also was a budding Lightweaver, and he saw color and light a little bit differently than other people did. And he has the same general effect that you'll see Shallan having on people, which is how the Lightweaver views you influences a little bit more how your mood is, and things like that... And there is a magical element to that, as well. There's both a metaphoric reason and an in-world reason.

The Great American Read: Other Worlds with Brandon Sanderson (Oct. 25, 2018)

Questioner

At the end of Oathbringer, or near the end, Kaladin is talking to Syl about not getting Shallan or whatever, and he says that she really just reminded him of someone, who is it that she reminded him of?

Brandon Sanderson

She reminded him of Tien, his brother, because his brother was a burgeoning Lightweaver, and Lightweavers, you'll notice, when they're around someone, that person starts to act a little bit more like a little bit of their best self. There's a bit of, also, counteraction to feelings of darkness and despair, it's just a natural Lightweaver sort of thing. And so, part of what Kaladin was drawing from Shallan was that feeling. I think it could've totally become love. And he's now cutting that off, he's saying it couldn't at all have become-- it could have. But that was part of what was drawing him in.

FanX Spring 2019 (April 19, 2019)

Draconic Lingerer

So you had had a Word of Brandon that had said that Tien was on his way to becoming a Lightweaver. My question is, did he ever actually become a Lightweaver; did he speak an Oath, and if so, did he bond with a Cryptic?

Brandon Sanderson

That's an excellent question. If you look closely through the first book, you will see Tien having some slight Lightweaving effects. In the back of my head, he was where Kaladin was during most of the first book, where it wasn't really official but there was a spren hanging around. He was very close to-- by the time he left, already done that. I would say he never actually managed to get that bond working... Otherwise, perhaps, things would have played out differently than they did.

FanX Spring 2019 (April 19, 2019)

• Chaos locked this topic