Where Do You Get Your Books for Cheap/Free?

Snakenaps

We've all been there - whether we're looking for cheap books because we're strapped for cash, want to support our local library, or still want to read while saving up for that newest hardback, all of us at one point or another have probably been on the hunt for cheap/free books. 

What are your favorite sources of cheap/free books? These may be yard sales, library-supported apps like Libby/Overdrive, or Lending Library...where do you purchase, or borrow, your favorite books, ebooks, and audiobooks?

21 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

We've all been there - whether we're looking for cheap books because we're strapped for cash, want to support our local library, or still want to read while saving up for that newest hardback, all of us at one point or another have probably been on the hunt for cheap/free books. 

What are your favorite sources of cheap/free books? These may be yard sales, library-supported apps like Libby/Overdrive, or Lending Library...where do you purchase, or borrow, your favorite books, ebooks, and audiobooks?

ebay.com and Amazon.com

Edit: i forgot Value Village

Edited by Eternal Khol

22 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

They don’t have a lot of locations but I love Value Village. I swear I could live there

The local thift stores around me vary in selection, but our Goodwill is surprisingly well-stocked in books. Or at least compared to my childhood Goodwill. It's an absolute goldmine in books about education, due to the revolving number of college students coming to the city to get a degree in teaching. Not great for fantasy, though. Mostly Twilight-style books, which teenage me would have been thrilled about.

We have a great, local thrift store for clothing, but I'd kill for a better selection for furniture. Nobody ever has shelves at a good price that can withstand the weight of my collection...

14 minutes ago, Invocation said:

thriftbooks.com has a solid selection for cheap. Other than that, mostly just browsing the reject bins outside large used bookstores or the free book selection that'll happen sometimes at local Barnes and Noble/Books-A-Million places.

I certainly like finding books for $4 instead of $8 or $10. One of my favorite games is "how many books did I buy for the cost of one paperback or hardcover at Barnes and Noble?"

My local library also has a booksale every Saturday. Surprisingly good selection, and I can usually pick up the books for $1 or less. My favorite is every season they have these $1 brown paper bags - fill the bag with as many paperbacks as you want for a buck! This Saturday they are doing buy four, get one free, which isn't much when a large coffee table book is $2 - but, hey, a free book is a free book! 

I lived next to that library for a year...it was very bad for my wallet and my shelves. 

Where I live has this great location where people basically get rid of books, video games, board games, movies, CDs, etc. they don’t want anymore. Fortunately, since everyone likes different things and time usually ensures that someone won’t want something anymore, the place has slowly become a vast library filled with treasure for some pretty reasonable prices. It’s where I got almost (maybe all) all of the Wheel of Time books, as well as a whole bunch of Sanderson books. Plus, you can make money there when you bring your junk you don’t want anymore!

There's a library (of sorts) where I live that from time to time just puts a table with books for you to take home, I'm not even sure where they come from, I should ask. They're mainly technical books and novels in english (in a spanish-speaking city, books in english don't have a lot of demand) so I have quite a few novels I haven't even touched yet, but it's kind of addictive to take home books I can buy with pocket change or with no change at all.

The public library in my area puts their ebooks on an app, CloudLibrary. Seems like a lot of libraries do that. Only downside is that you need a library card.

Also, Project Gutenburg is a great site to find any book in the public domain. I read a lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs' books from there.

3 hours ago, Emerald_Mage said:

Also, Project Gutenburg is a great site to find any book in the public domain. I read a lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs' books from there.

Project Gutenburg is incredible. What a wealth of knowledge and history.