Steel Inquisitive

How you discovered the Cosmere  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How you discovered the Cosmere

• Help from friends/family
    • The almighty internet
    • On your own/from the books
    • Other

I'm curious to see how most people discovered that the Cosmere is an interconnected series. I was the first in my friend group to read any of Brandon Sanderson's work so had no one to spoil anything for me. I'm sad to say I was almost done with the entire Cosmere collection before realizing they were connected. I read the first two SA books, Mistborn, Elantris, and had gotten Arcanum and Warbreaker from the library. I chose to read Warbreaker first and it finally tipped me off. I remember hitting the section with Hoid and being confused. I had read the name before hadn't I? I skimmed through the entire book, thinking I had forgotten a character that was introduced at the start of the book, until I remembered Hoid was Wit's other name. I was confused but assumed Brandon had just accidently used the same name twice (Other authors have done it). I googled it anyways only to discover that Hoid was a cameo character that had been in every book. I thought it was a cool idea but still didn't realize the books were connected (Nightblood was also irritatingly familiar).Then I started Secret History. I remember reading the section where Kelsier is having his mind blown by Khriss. I remember setting the book down and staring at the wall while all the pieces fell into place. I was stunned to say the least. I found this site that night and did a lot of reading:-)    

All that to ask: How did you discover that the Cosmere was an interconnected series? 

My Uncle is the "cool uncle" type, like whenever my family goes over to his house he always has a new board game (or two) to show us.

So he knows I like to read, and he's a bit of a reader himself. So he recommended Brandon Sanderson's works (starting with Mistborn - which I did read first), and in his initial sales pitch he mentioned that all of the books are interconnected/ in the same universe - and also that there is a character that goes around and appears in all of these books.

So that's how I found out about the Cosmere.

I honestly don't remember. I've known about the cosmere so long that I don't remember what it was like to not know about the cosmere. And it gets very muddy in my mind how much I caught onto before joining the shard.

40 minutes ago, ILuvHats said:

I honestly don't remember. I've known about the cosmere so long that I don't remember what it was like to not know about the cosmere. And it gets very muddy in my mind how much I caught onto before joining the shard.

I remember about when I started reading (spring 2014...I think), but I forget exactly when I found out about the cosmere.  I remember cousins and siblings reading the books, but forget if I found out they were connected through them or just searching, online.

However, I do remember just being bored at work and just coming on to read spoilers about the books I was currently reading.  That's probably how I found out about the importance of Wit/Hoid actually.

I now consider myself a recovering spoiler reader lol.  No more reading about how stories end before I read the actual pages.

I saw Mistborn once ages ago, read the back and felt confused. What did the mist have to do with these powers? Forgot about it for a little bit. Then an acquaintance recommended Elantris. I gave it a shot and enjoyed it. I then checked to see if there were other books by the author, and came across Mistborn again. So I figured I would give it a shot, and was a fan ever since. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic