Looking for Fellow Bookworms

Snakenaps

Hello! I am an aspiring author/illustrator who has decided she needs to gather a few more book-loving friends. I only discovered Brandon Sanderson last year (the Mistborn trilogy) and have been listening to Writing Excuses like an addict since last summer. I'm generally not one for forums, but this appears to be an encouraging place filled with like-minded people, where I can learn how to become a better writer, as well as rant about my favorite subject: books. 

I am ALWAYS on the hunt for book recommendations, especially series.

Some of my favorite books include (but certainly not limited to):

• Anything by Brandon Sanderson himself (can we talk about an addictive author!?)
  • The Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffery
  • Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card
  • The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (not to mention the movie!)
  • The Queen's Thief series by Megan Whaler Turner
  • Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab
  • Temeraire series by Naomi Novik
  • Winternight Trilogy by Katherine Arden
  • The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
  • Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima
  • Many of Sarah Dunant's works, like In the Name of the Courtesan
  • Harry Potter and Inkheart series (ah, my childhood!)

When I am not writing, reading, or drawing, I enjoy hanging out with my ball python, riding horses, and walking around with my head in the clouds.

17 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

I am ALWAYS on the hunt for book recommendations, especially series.

Then look no further. Here’s my list of favorite fantasy books/series, with commentary for funsies. Most of them are modern works; I have a separate list for series dating from Wheel of Time back through the late 1900s.

• The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss (It’s Kingkiller. Need I say more? A modern staple of fantasy with some gorgeous prose)
  • The Lightbringer Series by Brent Weeks (Eeeeeeeeeh! Brent Weeks is my favorite author second only to Brandon. The stories they both tell tend to be loved by the same kind of people, so if you like one, chances are you’ll like the other)
  • The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie (be warned it’s grim dark. But, it’s the best grimdark out there, even better than ASOIAF in my opinion)
  • The Powder Mage Trilogy by Brent Weeks (this guy was a student of Brandon’s at BYU)
  • The Broken Earth Trilogy by N. K. Jemisin (Absolutely brilliant. Every single book in the series won the Hugo for best novel, making Jemisin the first to win the award 3 years consecutively. The things she can do with words and narrative...)
  • The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winters (fantastic debut novel. Winters is one to watch out for in coming years)

7 minutes ago, ILuvHats said:

Then look no further. Here’s my list of favorite fantasy books/series, with commentary for funsies. Most of them are modern works; I have a separate list for series dating from Wheel of Time back through the late 1900s.

• The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss (It’s Kingkiller. Need I say more? A modern staple of fantasy with some gorgeous prose)
  • The Lightbringer Series by Brent Weeks (Eeeeeeeeeh! Brent Weeks is my favorite author second only to Brandon. The stories they both tell tend to be loved by the same kind of people, so if you like one, chances are you’ll like the other)
  • The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie (be warned it’s grim dark. But, it’s the best grimdark out there, even better than ASOIAF in my opinion)
  • The Powder Mage Trilogy by Brent Weeks (this guy was a student of Brandon’s at BYU)
  • The Broken Earth Trilogy by N. K. Jemisin (Absolutely brilliant. Every single book in the series won the Hugo for best novel, making Jemisin the first to win the award 3 years consecutively. The things she can do with words and narrative...)
  • The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winters (fantastic debut novel. Winters is one to watch out for in coming years)

You are the second person this week I've seen mention Joe Abercrombie. Apparently he writes some of the most gripping fight scenes in literature. Some one to learn from! Although, admittedly, might come back to this one later. I recently finished The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang, and, ooof, that book is a heavy hitter violence wise. It was inspired by the Rape of Nanjing. I feel like I need a break before jumping into another gorefest. Especially a well written one. 

As for Kingkiller, I need to get off my lazy rump and go put The Name of the Wind on hold at the library. It's always got at least a 20 week waiting period, but, darn it, if I don't sign up, I'm never going to read it at this point. That's what happened for Mistborn: I kept hearing about on Reddit until I finally put it on hold, and, BAM, got myself a new favorite author. 

I've never heard of the Lightbringer series, or any of the other ones. I'll definitely see if I can pick up The Black Prism when I hit the library next. 

See, it's only been two hours since I signed up, and it's already been worth my while! I am excited!

Thank you!!!

30 minutes ago, ILuvHats said:

Ooh! That’s near the top of my TBR! I’ve heard great things about it. What’d you think of it?

I picked it up at the local library knowing nothing about it except that it had been highly rated on Goodreads. I thought, "Oh, sweet, adult Harry Potter meets Avatar: The Last Airbender." A school type of book, no doubt with the usual cliches, with some...poppies, apparently. I was picturing something maybe like Eon by Alison Goodman.

Oh man, I was wrong. I was so very wrong.

This book is definitely grimdark. It lulls you into thinking it is a normal fantasy until a certain point, when it hits you, and just keeps pummeling you. 

I personally struggle with grimdark fantasy, because I need incredibly compelling characters and a strong plot to keep me from setting it aside. There needs to be a reason for me to push myself through this pain. 

I finished The Poppy War, and found it a vivid book with strong worldbuilding and nicely flawed characters. I did not set it down and cease to pick it up, even though I was compelled to multiple times. I finished it, then researched what the inspirations came from, because some scenes are so...specific...that either the author was secretly a murderer, or she had really done her research. 

I won't be reading the next in the series, because the book made me sad enough to prove it was well written, but didn't have enough to convince me to continue to put myself in pain. 

I can't say whether or not I'd recommend it, since normally I suggest books that make people happy, or at least satisfied, at the end. Books that I myself enjoyed reading. Finishing The Poppy War was kind of like watching a vividly grotesque scene in a movie. I finished it early February and I am getting a stomach ache just thinking about it. But maybe I'm just thin skinned. 

Edited by Snakenaps

@Snakenaps Welcome! Glad to have you here :-)

Glad you like the Dragonriders of Pern :-) Have you read:

• The Wheel of Time - bonus in that the last few books were written by Brandon
  • Chronicles of Narnia - for more than just the young, and my own introduction to fantasy
  • The Lord of the Rings - you probably have, but it is a classic, and one of the best in the genre
  • The Elenium and the Belgariad by David Eddings - showing how you can take cliches and still make a great story
  • Foundation by Isaac Asimov - one of the greatest classics of science fiction, and the future of his Empire and Robot's series also, tying them together
  • Dune by Frank Herbert - philosophy and ecology all wrapped up in a feudal future

And moving outside of the fantasy and science fiction genre, have you read anything by Agatha Christie? One of the finest mystery writers ever.

Hope you enjoy them!

3 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

I picked it up at the local library knowing nothing about it except that it had been highly rated on Goodreads. I thought, "Oh, sweet, adult Harry Potter meets Avatar: The Last Airbender." A school type of book, no doubt with the usual cliches, with some...poppies, apparently. I was picturing something maybe like Eon by Alison Goodman.

Oh man, I was wrong. I was so very wrong.

This book is definitely grimdark. It lulls you into thinking it is a normal fantasy until a certain point, when it hits you, and just keeps pummeling you. 

I personally struggle with grimdark fantasy, because I need incredibly compelling characters and a strong plot to keep me from setting it aside. There needs to be a reason for me to push myself through this pain. 

I finished The Poppy War, and found it a vivid book with strong worldbuilding and nicely flawed characters. I did not set it down and cease to pick it up, even though I was compelled to multiple times. I finished it, then researched what the inspirations came from, because some scenes are so...specific...that either the author was secretly a murderer, or she had really done her research. 

I won't be reading the next in the series, because the book made me sad enough to prove it was well written, but didn't have enough to convince me to continue to put myself in pain. 

I can't say whether or not I'd recommend it, since normally I suggest books that make people happy, or at least satisfied, at the end. Books that I myself enjoyed reading. Finishing The Poppy War was kind of like watching a vividly grotesque scene in a movie. I finished it early February and I am getting a stomach ache just thinking about it. But maybe I'm just thin skinned. 

Sounds like grimdarks not your thing. In that case, Abercrombie’s probably not for you. I can usually take grimdark tales in stride, but the ending of the First Law Trilogy left me emotionally shattered. I was left so upset I seriously thought I’d never pick up another book of his again. What he did was so brilliant in hindsight, but I mean it absolutely wrecked me. He’s so, so good at writing characters, one of the best I’ve seen, and you root for them. You want them to get their happy endings, and then...

I’m struggling to put it into words without spoilers, so I am going to mention spoilers in the spoiler tag. I won’t mention any characters by name, or even the specific circumstances, but you can figure it out if you start reading. 

Spoiler

Abercrombie takes who you thought was the best of his characters, the one who seemed decent, and makes you realize they were a monster all along. The most vile (but also most compelling) character achieves the closest to a happy ending, but not because of a redemption arc. No, they’re just as despicable as they alway were, and yet you still sympathize with them, and your own sympathy for them leaves you frustrated that you feel that way, and questioning how different you really are from them. Another POV character goes through a redemption arc that you realize was orchestrated all along, and they’re left in a position of power, but oblivious to the true hopelessness of everything. And to parallel that character, there’s another one that had been more sympathetic from the start, and left you expecting that they’d find away to redeem themselves and leave the cycle of violence and bloodshed, but they instead choose to perpetuate it. 

The ending is the most depressing combination of fatalism and nihilism I can imagine. It leaves you drained and hopeless. The poetic symmetry of the beginning and the ending reveal that nothing ever changes. Despite everything that did change, it was all superficial, just a front, a puppet show. In reality, violence, manipulation, and ruthlessness dominate this world, and there is no escaping it.

Well, I’m depressed now. But despite how terrible it all sounds, I still found myself coming back to Abercrombie’s works, and that’s the sheer genius of it all. He can wreck you as a reader, and you’ll still find yourself crawling right back to his books, compelled to for reasons you don’t even understand. He brings out the masochist in everyone. 

Anywho, I’m gonna shut up now and go cry myself to sleep.

Definitely want to pile on to the "Read Kingkiller", even unfinished it's entirely worth it.  Also, the Slow Regard of Silent Things short story is one of the strangest but most compelling things Ive read in a long time.  Zero dialogue, and also somehow THE most personality Ive ever seen from inanimate objects. 

• The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay  (my all time favorite fantasy series, from the 80's)
  • Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (Urban Fantasy at it's best)
  • Codex Alera by Jim Butcher (literally started as a bet that he couldnt combine Pokemon with The Lost Roman Legion)
  • Cinder Spires by Jim Butcher (Airships and crystal power and plot-relevant Tea time and talking cat mafia, what more could you ask for?)
  • [more to come]

10 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card

have you read the two prequel series that have recently been written?

• The First Formic War by Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston
  • The Second Formic War by Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston

They are a great series and I will definitely tell people to read these first!! 

7 hours ago, Ixthos said:

@Snakenaps Welcome! Glad to have you here :-)

Glad you like the Dragonriders of Pern :-) Have you read:

• The Wheel of Time - bonus in that the last few books were written by Brandon
  • Chronicles of Narnia - for more than just the young, and my own introduction to fantasy
  • The Lord of the Rings - you probably have, but it is a classic, and one of the best in the genre
  • The Elenium and the Belgariad by David Eddings - showing how you can take cliches and still make a great story
  • Foundation by Isaac Asimov - one of the greatest classics of science fiction, and the future of his Empire and Robot's series also, tying them together
  • Dune by Frank Herbert - philosophy and ecology all wrapped up in a feudal future

And moving outside of the fantasy and science fiction genre, have you read anything by Agatha Christie? One of the finest mystery writers ever.

Hope you enjoy them!

Oh man, Chronicles of Narnia was my jam when I was young. The Horse and His Boy was my all-time favorite because I always wished I had a talking horse!

I have not read The Elenium and the Belgariad or Foundation! They definitely both sound up my alley! I haven't read Dune in five years. I think it's time to reread that series!

You know, I don't think I've read anything by Agatha Christie off the top of my head. I mainly read fantasy, sci-fi, and historical fiction, but it's always good to branch out and try a new genre! That's how Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut became one of my yearly reads.

4 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

Sounds like grimdarks not your thing. In that case, Abercrombie’s probably not for you. I can usually take grimdark tales in stride, but the ending of the First Law Trilogy left me emotionally shattered. I was left so upset I seriously thought I’d never pick up another book of his again. What he did was so brilliant in hindsight, but I mean it absolutely wrecked me. He’s so, so good at writing characters, one of the best I’ve seen, and you root for them. You want them to get their happy endings, and then...

I’m struggling to put it into words without spoilers, so I am going to mention spoilers in the spoiler tag. I won’t mention any characters by name, or even the specific circumstances, but you can figure it out if you start reading. 

Reveal hidden contents

Abercrombie takes who you thought was the best of his characters, the one who seemed decent, and makes you realize they were a monster all along. The most vile (but also most compelling) character achieves the closest to a happy ending, but not because of a redemption arc. No, they’re just as despicable as they alway were, and yet you still sympathize with them, and your own sympathy for them leaves you frustrated that you feel that way, and questioning how different you really are from them. Another POV character goes through a redemption arc that you realize was orchestrated all along, and they’re left in a position of power, but oblivious to the true hopelessness of everything. And to parallel that character, there’s another one that had been more sympathetic from the start, and left you expecting that they’d find away to redeem themselves and leave the cycle of violence and bloodshed, but they instead choose to perpetuate it. 

The ending is the most depressing combination of fatalism and nihilism I can imagine. It leaves you drained and hopeless. The poetic symmetry of the beginning and the ending reveal that nothing ever changes. Despite everything that did change, it was all superficial, just a front, a puppet show. In reality, violence, manipulation, and ruthlessness dominate this world, and there is no escaping it.

Well, I’m depressed now. But despite how terrible it all sounds, I still found myself coming back to Abercrombie’s works, and that’s the sheer genius of it all. He can wreck you as a reader, and you’ll still find yourself crawling right back to his books, compelled to for reasons you don’t even understand. He brings out the masochist in everyone. 

Anywho, I’m gonna shut up now and go cry myself to sleep.

You've actually tempted me more to read this now. I'll put it on my summer booklist so that my students don't freak out if I randomly burst in to tears! 

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

Definitely want to pile on to the "Read Kingkiller", even unfinished it's entirely worth it.  Also, the Slow Regard of Silent Things short story is one of the strangest but most compelling things Ive read in a long time.  Zero dialogue, and also somehow THE most personality Ive ever seen from inanimate objects. 

• The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay  (my all time favorite fantasy series, from the 80's)
  • Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (Urban Fantasy at it's best)
  • Codex Alera by Jim Butcher (literally started as a bet that he couldnt combine Pokemon with The Lost Roman Legion)
  • Cinder Spires by Jim Butcher (Airships and crystal power and plot-relevant Tea time and talking cat mafia, what more could you ask for?)
  • [more to come]

I adore the Dresden Files! Those books are so much fun! I haven't read Cinder Spires, but now I want to at the mention of "talking cat mafia." The only talking cat mafia I've ever heard of previously is the webcomic Lackadaisy Cats. I have also not read the Fionavar Tapestry, but I'm willing to give it a shot! Terry Pratchet's Discworld is proof that the 80's had great series!

40 minutes ago, GoWibble said:

have you read the two prequel series that have recently been written?

They are a great series and I will definitely tell people to read these first!! 

Ooooh! I have not read them, although I love Bean's books almost as much as I love Ender's, so I'm excited to dive into the world again!

13 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

Hello! I am an aspiring author/illustrator who has decided she needs to gather a few more book-loving friends

I am here.  We are here.  Let us begin!

• Pit Dragon Series by Yolen
  • Uplift series by David Brin
  • Circle of Magic (one of the best soft magic systems ever) by Tamora Peirce
  • All of the more recent Thrawn novels by Timothy Zahn
  • Legends of the First Empire by Michael J. Sullivan
  • Old Man's War by John Scalzi
  • A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
  • I Robot by Isaac Asimov

That should be enough for now I read way too much.

3 hours ago, GoWibble said:

I am glad it escapes most of the racism and at least some of the sexism that unfortunately keeps me from completely enjoying Card's works and they are pretty good but I feel they could be better.

34 minutes ago, Karger said:

Oooh, yah let me second this one. Fantastic series and a great setting.  It starts at a more normal YA series, but ages up pretty nicely with the characters.  Two quadrologies with a 4 year time-gap between them, then a standalone novel several years later when they are hitting adulthood.  The first said it was aimed at the 9-11 demographic, the second gets a little darker as they have to deal with more adult problems and themes, and even more so in the stand-alone.  Notable in that it has almost no romantic subplots with the main character (some side plots with the adult supporting cast) until the final novel when they are adults themselves.   

EDIT: Turns out there are 3 standalone novels.  A sequel to the one I knew about, and a prequel that fills in one of the story gaps between the standalone and second Quadrology (delving into a War that was mentioned).  

Edited by Quantus

@Snakenaps Narnia really is a great series :-D The Magician's Nephew and the Last Battle are my favourites, something about the birth of a world and its death and what comes after really appeal to me, and more than any other book in the series the Magician's Nephew gave me a love of portal networks :-)

Hope you like Eddings and Asimov. Eddings writing is full of cliches, but the characters are very enjoyable and he handles them well, and oh the snark! Asimov also wrote a few mysteries as well, including the short stories of the Black Widowers, a gentlemen's dinner club where each meeting one of the members would invite a friend who posed a puzzle in their life to the group, and which the waiter would always be the one to solve :-) and he also did some science fiction mystery as well, so you can always combine your reading of the two.

Agatha Christie is probably my favourite non-science fiction and fantasy writer - she MADE so many of the twists that pervade the genre to this day. I actually named the main villain (well, sort of - it mainly works for the force of evil, but is the main leader of that force's forces) of my setting after one of her villains due to them using a similar method to ... well, better not spoil it :-P but if you love twists and fair play whodunnits, then definitely read her - as you say you are also a writer, and mystery can really help gear up the mind :-) It's the reason mystery and science fiction and fantasy appeal to me so much, as they all make you think, and so they go together well.

Hope you enjoy them, and if you know of any science fiction or fantasy mystery books please let me know :-)

@Snakenaps welcome! Since you have read the Dragonriders series, have you also read the Harper Hall series by McCaffrey as well? I like it even better than Dragonriders.

Edit: My own grammar there makes me flinch, but I’ll leave it because it's good for me. :lol:

Edited by Ghanderflaffle

1 hour ago, The Hero of Masks said:

WAFFLES!! Too earlly?

Never too early - or late - for waffles! Especially if they have fresh fruit and cream!

2 hours ago, Ghanderflaffle said:

@Snakenaps welcome! Since you have read the Dragonriders series, have you also read the Harper Hall series by McCaffrey as well? I like it even better than Dragonriders.

Edit: My own grammar there makes me flinch, but I’ll leave it because it's good for me. :lol:

The only Pern books I haven't read are Todd McCaffery's later works. Anything Pern by Anne McCaffery - and most of her books that aren't Pern - I have read and probably own. The Harper Hall trilogy, The Masterharper of Pern, and All the Weyrs of Pern are my favorites...probably because of a certain wine connoisseur I am most fond of.  

5 hours ago, Ixthos said:

@Snakenaps Narnia really is a great series :-D The Magician's Nephew and the Last Battle are my favourites, something about the birth of a world and its death and what comes after really appeal to me, and more than any other book in the series the Magician's Nephew gave me a love of portal networks :-)

Hope you like Eddings and Asimov. Eddings writing is full of cliches, but the characters are very enjoyable and he handles them well, and oh the snark! Asimov also wrote a few mysteries as well, including the short stories of the Black Widowers, a gentlemen's dinner club where each meeting one of the members would invite a friend who posed a puzzle in their life to the group, and which the waiter would always be the one to solve :-) and he also did some science fiction mystery as well, so you can always combine your reading of the two.

Agatha Christie is probably my favourite non-science fiction and fantasy writer - she MADE so many of the twists that pervade the genre to this day. I actually named the main villain (well, sort of - it mainly works for the force of evil, but is the main leader of that force's forces) of my setting after one of her villains due to them using a similar method to ... well, better not spoil it :-P but if you love twists and fair play whodunnits, then definitely read her - as you say you are also a writer, and mystery can really help gear up the mind :-) It's the reason mystery and science fiction and fantasy appeal to me so much, as they all make you think, and so they go together well.

Hope you enjoy them, and if you know of any science fiction or fantasy mystery books please let me know :-)

The only fantasy/mystery books I can think of off the top of my head are the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. 

5 hours ago, Karger said:

I am here.  We are here.  Let us begin!

• Pit Dragon Series by Yolen
  • Uplift series by David Brin
  • All of the more recent Thrawn novels by Timothy Zahn
  • Legends of the First Empire by Michael J. Sullivan
  • Old Man's War by John Scalzi
  • A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
  • I Robot by Isaac Asimov

That should be enough for now I read way too much.

I am glad it escapes most of the racism and at least some of the sexism that unfortunately keeps me from completely enjoying Card's works and they are pretty good but I feel they could be better.

5 hours ago, Quantus said:

Oooh, yah let me second this one. Fantastic series and a great setting.  It starts at a more normal YA series, but ages up pretty nicely with the characters.  Two quadrologies with a 4 year time-gap between them, then a standalone novel several years later when they are hitting adulthood.  The first said it was aimed at the 9-11 demographic, the second gets a little darker as they have to deal with more adult problems and themes, and even more so in the stand-alone.  Notable in that it has almost no romantic subplots with the main character (some side plots with the adult supporting cast) until the final novel when they are adults themselves.   

EDIT: Turns out there are 3 standalone novels.  A sequel to the one I knew about, and a prequel that fills in one of the story gaps between the standalone and second Quadrology (delving into a War that was mentioned).  

Tried to pick up the first Circle of Magic books today at the library, but all they had were the Song of the Lioness books, which I have already read (and adore). As for the Thrawn novels, I love Star Wars and Timothy Zahn (Dragon and Thief series was my introduction!), so I'll definitely have to pick those up.

1 minute ago, Snakenaps said:

Tried to pick up the first Circle of Magic books today at the library, but all they had were the Song of the Lioness books, which I have already read (and adore). As for the Thrawn novels, I love Star Wars and Timothy Zahn (Dragon and Thief series was my introduction!), so I'll definitely have to pick those up.

Depending on the library(mine uses overdrive) you should be able to get them through ebooks sometimes.

4 minutes ago, Karger said:

Depending on the library(mine uses overdrive) you should be able to get them through ebooks sometimes.

My county's Libby (which is owned by Overdrive) doesn't stock it - although, ironically, it does have all of the Circle Opens books, which appears to be the series right after the Circle of Magic. 

27 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

My county's Libby (which is owned by Overdrive) doesn't stock it - although, ironically, it does have all of the Circle Opens books, which appears to be the series right after the Circle of Magic. 

That is kind of silly but this is what happens when computers are in charge rather then the totally awesome librarians.

31 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

Couldn't believe my luck today. I picked up a book I had on hold - Crown of Feathers by Nicki Pau Preto - and my library actually had The Name of the Wind! So it looks like I will finally be diving into the Kingkiller Chronicles! 

Be warned!  Only two books of the trilogy are finished and we have been waiting forever for book 3!

Edited by Karger

Just now, Karger said:

That is kind of silly but this is what happens when computers are in charge rather then the totally awesome librarians.

Be warned!  Only two books of the trilogy are finished and we have been waiting forever for book 3!

Libby is both a blessing and a curse. It lets me read much more, since I am not in the financial situation, or space situation, for buying books, and I don't often have time to go to the library during its open hours...but at the same time, what Libby stocks can be so incredibly random. 

As for the Kingkiller Chronicles...George R.R. Martin and Megan Whalen Turner have taught me the value of patience. At least the last book of The Queen's Thief is coming out this August. The first book in that series came out in 1996.