Adolin’s coup?

Smye

In chapter 60 in TWoK, Dalinar agrees not to abdicate to Adolin in exchange for an order, notarized by his highest scribe and witnessed by Elhokar, giving Adolin the authority to depose him at any time if his mind sufficiently deteriorates. While it’s not briefly mentioned, this seems a HUGE Chekhov’s Gun as a lynchpin for Dalinar’s decision with huge potential to shift fate.

What do my fellow Sharders think? Could this be a huge boon, allowing a new leader of the shattered coalition to emerge in Adolin? Or the key to a brutal blow to Dalinar’s forces when Adolin deposes him in a critical moment?

In addition to all the arguments above,  Dalinar is no longer an Alethi Highprince anyway.  The legal document in question only applies to Alethkar and has nothing to do with how the Radiants conduct their business.  Even if the document was meant to be enforceable for any position Dalinar will ever achieve there is no conceivable way for Adolin to depose his father for leadership of the Knights Radiant.  Do you see the Stormfather breaking his bond to Dalinar in favor of Adolin,  or one of the other Megaspren picking him up? If Adolin does join the Knights,  it will most likely be as an Edgedancer.  Edgedancers will not run the KR. Lastly,  even if every obstacle was cleared and Adolin somehow became a Bondsmith and de facto leader of the Knights Radiant,  I cannot see a scenario where anyone would follow him. 

In another fantasy series, one more filled with political machinations and backstabbing family members, I'd absolutely agree with you; but here, I think it was more an illustration of how self-doubting Dalinar was about his visions, and his (justified) absolute trust in Adolin that his son was the right person to make the call about his being mad or not, and not to simply use the writ to seize power.

And it's moot now anyway...

18 hours ago, Karger said:

Adolin clearly states multiple times that he does not want to be highprince.  Also events later in the series make me think that this will not happen.

Actually, as of the end of Oathbringer, Adolin already is the Kholin highprince, having refused the crown of Alethkar and with Dalinar giving the title up to take up the role of head of the Knights Radiant. (And also moot since Kholinar, along with most of the rest of Alethkar, is under Parshendi control...)

As he says when they take Shallan's suggestion about settling the crown on Jasnah, "I'll be highprince [of Kholin], but not king."

And then later, as Shallan reflects to herself on all the fuss and pomp surrounding her wedding to Adolin, and going over the gifts they'd received from "every other highprince" (except for Ialai) -  Well, you're marrying an Alethi highprince; what did you expect?

Edited by robardin

23 minutes ago, robardin said:

Actually, as of the end of Oathbringer, Adolin already is the Kholin highprince, having refused the crown of Alethkar and with Dalinar giving the title up to take up the role of head of the Knights Radiant. (And also moot since Kholinar, along with most of the rest of Alethkar, is under Parshendi control...)

Exactly.  Because of this I do not think this will happen as it is basically impossible.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 4:40 AM, earthexile said:

I would be astonished if Dalinar is still facing the questions about his sanity or goals, after everyone saw what happened in Thaylen City. His political position should be stronger than ever. 

He did do some obfuscating of the truth though OB which probably weekend him for a time but we won't see that because of the time jump.

• Chaos locked this topic