The power of the Singers

Robot

I've had this theory for a while and I hope I can properly articulate it here so I get people's opinion on it. I got his idea mainly from two places:

1)  At the end of book 2 the listeners, after becoming what I assume are Regals and attaining a form of power related to lightning, start singing in unison to summon the Everstorm.

2) Rlain and several others mention something they name "the song of Roshar" and that they, as Parsh, attune themselves to some aspect of it. Rlains comments lead us to think that humans can feel it too.

These two things together led me to believe that Singers, when using any form, could unite together could sing to manipulate Roshar and apply whatever their form is associated with to a much larger scale. This could potentially be how the Dawncities were created and how Shinovar was terraformed, a huge group of singers using either one form of power or a mixture of them got together and sang. 

I find the whole concept of the song of Roshar or hearing Roshar as Rlain says very interesing and I hope get more tidbits about this in the next book focused on Venli.

1 hour ago, Robot said:

I find the whole concept of the song of Roshar or hearing Roshar as Rlain says very interesing and I hope get more tidbits about this in the next book focused on Venli.

We do know that the singers were created to serve aparticular purpose in the ecology of Roshar.  As to the dawncities.

Hoiditthroughthegrapevine

So were the Dawncities, the ones based on cymatic patterns, created using a supercharged combinations of the Surges of Cohesion and Illumination? Using Cohesion to make the ground liquid and using Illumination to create the frequency.

Brandon Sanderson

You are theorizing in the right direction.

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)

17 minutes ago, Karger said:

We do know that the singers were created to serve aparticular purpose in the ecology of Roshar.  As to the dawncities.

We do know there were surges or their equivalents involved, but not who and how they did it.

I'm definitely excited for book 4 because of this, really I'm excited for all of them, but I think of it this way. I feel like you're on to something but not quite in such a direct fashion. If they could sing to summon the Everstorm in stormform, and then of course there's Rlain talking about the song of Roshar as you mentioned, there's also the implications everywhere that they're like antennas, if they attune specific things it doesn't just happen inside their heads like human thought usually does. It has an effect on others in the environment. They can keep time over great distances and under duress. I've also been reading a lot of discussion lately on Odium corrupting the natural systems in existence on Roshar, and we know nothing about their old abilities (that I know of), but from the first bits we started to get from Eshonai, and later Rlain, I felt like the way they talked about music was the tip of an immense iceberg. I don't have enough evidence to pin this all together, but the quotes about powers that were forbidden them are floating around in the back of my mind, quietly resonating with all of this. I hadn't quite thought about it the way you had, but I've been chewing some of the same information over for a while. I don't have much yet with everything else that's been on my mind, but you've added fuel to the fire, I hope you don't mind. :)

3 hours ago, SingingMosaic said:

If they could sing to summon the Everstorm in stormform

Are we sure that they summoned the Everstorm? Since the Everstorm is new, and was not seen in previous desolations, I thought that it was created by Odium. A few singers definitely do not have the power to create something like this by themselves, or it would have happened long before.

9 minutes ago, Lucky MOPper said:

Are we sure that they summoned the Everstorm? Since the Everstorm is new, and was not seen in previous desolations, I thought that it was created by Odium. A few singers definitely do not have the power to create something like this by themselves, or it would have happened long before.

They were a catalyst at the very least.  We still don't know the relmatics of what happened.  Odium is also more free with what he is able to do these days.

Edited by Karger

Very true. They were a part of the process, but how much of one, we don't know. What I'm curious about here is just what role the sound itself played in the process, it had a strange effect on them. I seem to remember them being so dazed, dragged along by it, that humans could just cut them down. Could killing any of them have potentially made any difference, or was it all over the first time someone's mouth opened and the right sound came out? Is the music just a side effect and not directly involved in the mechanism? The things we don't know... Sorry, I don't want to hijack your thread, it's just got my brain chewing on all the mechanics of things that we don't know yet.

10 hours ago, The Traveller said:

Welcome to the shard @Robot 

I like your theory. I have always thought that dawnsingers created dawncities varying frequency - sound waves. But yup singing to the rhythms makes sense. 

The way I see it both our thoughts aren't mutually exclusive, they could have used the rythms dto access the underlying forces like the surges.

9 hours ago, Robot said:

The way I see it both our thoughts aren't mutually exclusive, they could have used the rythms dto access the underlying forces like the surges.

I don’t think that before honorblades and heralds, any dawnsinger on Roshar had access to surgebinding. 

We have been told that fused learnt to surgebind after they saw heralds and it probably took them centuries/ first few desolations to figure it out. 
Forms of power are not exactly surges. 

8 hours ago, The Traveller said:

I don’t think that before honorblades and heralds, any dawnsinger on Roshar had access to surgebinding. 

We have been told that fused learnt to surgebind after they saw heralds and it probably took them centuries/ first few desolations to figure it out. 
Forms of power are not exactly surges. 

It doesn't have to be surgebinding, just accessing analogous forces.

The idea of them doing it with sound alone makes me think of the people who I've seen insist that there were things like chants for rain, and if you sang them exactly right, rain would actually come. Sometimes I wonder about stuff like that. Sound is a powerful thing and I wouldn't be surprised if Brandon knows that. Not making the rain come, necessarily, but all the interesting uses found for it--in hospitals and in weapons and in navigation, the way dolphins use it, how if you project just the right frequency you can destroy everything made of the material that resonates to it and leave most everything else relatively intact. So you can stretch this into your fantasy world and boom. People who can build with it, break with it, change landscapes with it. The way some of those cities are described makes me think that their science and not just their abilities was pretty advanced. Oooo I can't wait until we hear more about this.

22 minutes ago, SingingMosaic said:

Sometimes I wonder about stuff like that. Sound is a powerful thing and I wouldn't be surprised if Brandon knows that. 

Cymatics are mentioned pretty heavily when shallon and cabsil are talking. This adds these two ideas together in my mind. 

• Chaos locked this topic