Edgedancer question. Did Lift use Sandmastery?

icspots

I’m just doing a reread of Arcanum Unbounded, so I just read through White Sands the other night, and am reading Edgedancer now.  I saw something this reread I missed previously.  In the beginning when lift is first entering Yeddaw she causes a Lift-style scene while stealing pancakes and getting past the gate guard.  Right before she escapes into the city she’s atop a wagon filled with tallew grain.  The officer chasing her says the grain glowed, flowed like water out of the wagon and over the cliff edge, and afterwards there was a strange black dust on the ground.

”It was the strangest thing she’d ever seen.  The  pile of grain became like a liquid, flowing out of the cart even though the incline was shallow.  It ... well, it glowed softly as it flowed out and rained down into the city.”

And then after she made her escape

”Cart secure, Hauka stepped up to the ledge.  The girl was nowhere to be seen.  Storms.  Had she been some kind of Soren?  Hauka searched again but saw nothing, though there was this strange black dust at her feet. It blew away in the wind”

This sounds an awful lot like Sandmastery, except instead of Invested glowing white sand turned black, it’s glowing golden grain which turns black.  The easy explanation is Lift just made the grain “Awesome” and it slid out of the cart, but why the direct comment on strange black dust?  It’s been awhile since I read this, or Oathbringer..... are there other examples of her making things other than her own body Awesome?  Is this just a scenario where the magic systems are different, but the end effect is similar?  Note, she didn’t use the grain to help her fall after going over the cliff, instead using Wyndle and self-healing Investiture to slow her fall and recover.

Edited by icspots

Her spren, Wyndle, a Cultivationspren, is described as a mass of growing vines speckled with quartz, they move by growing, and the vines they leave behind desiccate, crystallize and crumble. These are probably the black sandy grains that the Tashikki officer finds.

I think her spren is either more in the Physical naturally, like Cryptics are supposed to be compared to Honorspren or that whatever draws her partially into the Cognitive also draws her spren a slight bit more into the Physical, an interaction between her Boon and her Bond.

1 hour ago, icspots said:

Yeah, I was just thinking about Wyndle’s vines disintegrating as he moves on.  There are however no references to other people being able to see or interact with Wyndle in the text though, only Lift being able to grab onto him.  

Wyndle spends most of that and every book hiding.

That's remnants from Wyndle. His vines decay and turn into black dust after he moves on.

From WoR

Wyndle grew up to her, leaving a small trail of vines that people didn’t seem to be able to see. The vines hardened after a few moments of sitting, as if briefly becoming solid crystal, then they crumbled to dust. People spotted that on occasion, though they certainly couldn’t see Wyndle himself.

The grain flowing out was just from her using Abrasion to reduce friction.

Yep, it's Wyndle. To remove any sort of doubt:

Questioner

In the new novella for the Stormlight Archive. <Edgedancer.>

Brandon Sanderson

Mhm?

Questioner

When she gets the cart over the edge of the ledge, it mentions that there was black sand on the ground? Was that Hoid, or...?

Brandon Sanderson

That was not Hoid.

Questioner

Was that due to what she did, or...?

Brandon Sanderson

That was Wyndle.

Questioner

Okay, he left black sand?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, his, uh-- he decayed into dust. 

Questioner

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

And so...

Questioner

Okay. Wondering if it was related to White Sand.

Brandon Sanderson

There's something going on there. But no, it is not the white-- it is not sand. I should be careful about use the word sand, particularly black sand. But I was just thinking of Wyndle with that one. 

Questioner

Okay, okay.

Brandon Sanderson

That is a false positive on the cosmere connection.

Arcanum Unbounded Hoboken signing (Dec. 3, 2016)

• Chaos locked this topic