Ask Brandon one question

Robot

If you could ask Brandon one and only one question about the Stormlight Archive what would it be? Let's make a thread where each of us posts a question to ask Brandon and why we want to ask that specific question.

For the sake of the thread we'll make it so it can't be too spoilery or super specific question, think for example about the questions asking for Kaladin's grandparents/extended family. No huge direct spoilers, just stuff you'd either like to know or would support/unmake your pet theories. Let's also assume the answer Bradon gives isn't going to be a RAFO to throw us off and that he doesn't use the wiggle room we left him not to answer as intended.

I've always been unreasonably suspicious of Pattern in general and Shallan's past specifically, so my question would be "Was Odium intentionally manipulating the Davar household with a purpose in mind?" The fact that we didn't learn much about how Shallan became a radiant was very suspicious to me and I'd like to know if Odium was personally involved or it was "just" an unmade getting attracted to something there (what something though?).

46 minutes ago, Robot said:

If you could ask Brandon one and only one question about the Stormlight Archive what would it be? Let's make a thread where each of us posts a question to ask Brandon and why we want to ask that specific question.

There was a general questions to ask Brandon thread that was shut down a while ago.  You can probably find it under cosmere discussions.

46 minutes ago, Robot said:

"Was Odium intentionally manipulating the Davar household with a purpose in mind?"

The Davar household was under the influence of an unmade.

FanX 2018 (Sept. 7, 2018)
#2 Sept. 7, 2018 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Stormlightning

You told someone that Nan Balat likes to hurt things. Like, a supernatural tendency to hurt things.

Brandon Sanderson

It's more along the lines of, "He has suffered some...enhancement of a psychological issue through supernatural effects."

Stormlightning

It's not an Unmade thing?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO! Good question! That's basically a confirmation, isn't it? *teasing laugh*

JordanCon 2018 (April 22, 2018)
#24 April 22, 2018 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Questioner

Was Shallan's family, during her childhood, being influenced by an Unmade?

Brandon Sanderson

Um, yes.

Questioner

Was it the corrupting--

Brandon Sanderson

I'll RAFO that, but yes, there is some external influence there. 

Mine would probably be.  Did the old Radiants have any more systematic methods for gathering and leveling up their potential radiants?

14 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

I would ask if Rysimdium (sorry about the spelling) have gemhearts. If yes a non native species who forms a spren bond gets a gem heart. This might be KR form gemhearts. Maybe that's what happens at the 5th ideal? Maybe thats a surge granting Dawnshard? It would just lead a lot of places. 

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)
#2 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Questioner

Do Ryshadium have gemhearts?

Brandon Sanderson

Um... I'll RAFO that for now. I'm just kind of staying really dodgy about Ryshadium, on purpose. I will dig into them later on.

12 hours ago, Karger said:

There was a general questions to ask Brandon thread that was shut down a while ago.  You can probably find it under cosmere discussions.

The Davar household was under the influence of an unmade.

Mine would probably be.  Did the old Radiants have any more systematic methods for gathering and leveling up their potential radiants?

I think I didn't explain myself very well, I know it was an unmade, but I wanted to know if it was acting on his own or not, since acting specifically on the Davar household and not the whole area or Jah Keved sounds weird.

8 hours ago, Chaos said:

Just so you know, Karger, you can just press Copy and it'll copy the whole text of the WoB.

My setup is a bit odd so that rarely works correctly for me.

2 hours ago, Robot said:

I think I didn't explain myself very well, I know it was an unmade, but I wanted to know if it was acting on his own or not, since acting specifically on the Davar household and not the whole area or Jah Keved sounds weird.

Ah.  That is a good question.

I'd ask: Since space (between planets) in the cognitive realm is based on peoples perception of space, would that mean as the peoples started to realize just how much empty space there is around their specific planets in the physical realm, would that also make the distance between planets farther in the cognitive realm as well since their perception of that space would change?

Because (if true) this would leave planets whose peoples understand the scope of astronomy unable to travel through the cognitive realm to other planets

Edit: Wait I just realized that this is supposed to be just about Roshar (I guess it still applies though)

Edited by DiePie
misinterpreted the question slightly

1 hour ago, DiePie said:

I'd ask: Since space (between planets) in the cognitive realm is based on peoples perception of space, would that mean as the peoples started to realize just how much empty space there is around their specific planets in the physical realm, would that also make the distance between planets farther in the cognitive realm as well since their perception of that space would change?

First I have often wondered the same thing.  Great minds.  Secondly.  I do not think so.  The CR is still flat on Roshar despite many people knowing that the planet is round and there are no living organisms to maintain such a thing while in space.

Edited by Karger

Assuming Brandon will be completely open and reveal anything pertaining to my question, What exactly is Kaladin's relation with Honor/Tanavast. Assuming I am subject to the same rules that he follows with other questioners (and I know that this is slightly Cosmere on a whole) Where did the name Adonalsium come from I'll probably get shut down but I might get something. 

Anything and everything having to do with Azure's sword, how is it different from and how is it similar to Nightblood? If Nightblood's creation didn't go as wacky as it did, what would the differences be then? Which of the swords is more powerful, do they do the same thing/can they do the same thing? What is the command that was used to create Azure's sword? How would Nightblood react to Azure's sword, would he attempt to do anything about it. Also a name so I can stop calling it Azure's sword would be great. 

On 2/23/2020 at 3:31 PM, DiePie said:

Because (if true) this would leave planets whose peoples understand the scope of astronomy unable to travel through the cognitive realm to other planets

Edit: Wait I just realized that this is supposed to be just about Roshar (I guess it still applies though)

Questioner

In the Cosmere, as space becomes more developed...*inaudible* outer space.

Brandon Sanderson

It's an interesting question that I've had to ponder. Would the space race happen more slowly because there's an alternative, or would it happen more quickly because you know other planets are inhabited. I'm not going to answer what I came up with, because it's a plot point in the books. So I'll give you a RAFO card, but that's the question to ask yourself.

Questioner

That wasn't my question! My question was, in the Cognitive Realm, with the gap between planets...

Brandon Sanderson

Oh! Will the gap between planets get larger as more people travel in between it. So, barring things like space stations, there's going to be so few minds in between, that I don't expect space to become larger because of that.

I don't expect it to be a factor, except--barring--there will be possibilities of certain regions popping up.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

• Chaos locked this topic