Honorless

So who is/was Austre? He is associated with the first Returned, Vo. He is a 'he', while Edgli, Endowment's Vessel is a 'she'

Was he a different Returned who was conflated with Vo? We see Vasher's diverse set of names and how history can forget things.

Is he a Splinter of Endowment? An Avatar of Edgli?

This WoB confirms it's not just Endowment in a fake moustache:

Blaze1616

Austre: Is also also- is that Endowment? You referenced him as male, but Endowment's female. So I'm dying to know.

Brandon Sanderson

No, Austre is not. So who do you think Austre is?

Blaze1616

Since it's not Endowment I personally think it's a Returned from long ago.

Brandon Sanderson

That's a very good conclusion.

Shadows of Self Lansing signing (Oct. 13, 2015)

Other people have speculated on Austre being an Avatar of Autonomy based on the religion's values and Autonomy's interference comment by Khriss

mikkomikk

Is Trell (Era 2) and/or Austre related to a Shard? Like are they one, or working for one, or an avatar of one?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, Trell is related to a Shard.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 15, 2018)

Herald (paraphrased)

Have we see [Bavadin's] influence on other worlds till now – like Austre in Nalthis or other religions which Sazed studied on Scadrial for example.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes you have seen her influence in other worlds other than Taldain. He wouldn't confirm if it is Nalthis or Scadrial or any other planet.

Arcanum Unbounded San Francisco signing (Nov. 30, 2016)

Does Austre actually have anything to do with Returning? I don't think so based off of Lightsong's memories. Was Vo's Returning different somehow with the Five Visions or is that history tying itself in knots over time?

Edited by Dreamer

12 hours ago, Dreamer said:

Austre: Is also also- is that Endowment? You referenced him as male, but Endowment's female. So I'm dying to know.

This WoB is pretty old.  Anyway I think Brandon is messing with us again.  IE He is not actually anyone just their understanding of Endowment.

2 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

I'd bet it just a religion with no shardic influence. They do pop up on occasion 

I understand what you mean, but I wouldn't go with "no Shardic influence". As Sazed said, they all contained kernels of truth.