Were Taln and Ash in love?

The Night Watcher

1 hour ago, The Night Watcher said:

I can't remember if that was emphatically stated or not. I only remember Ash holding his hand and the emotion of that scene in the tent. Were (are?) they romantically inclined? Kinda hard when half the party is mad, I know

Its never directly stated or anything. Theyre both mad. Ash just doesn't have it as bad

Maybe he was her guard and they fell in love. Ash might've been born on Roshar while all the others made the trip from Ashyn. I wonder how much older he is.

Edited by Eternal Khol

It could be simple intimacy formed between people who only had each other for years of pain, but looking at Ash's narration it seems likely that they were romantically attached or at least she felt something for him

Edited by Dreamer

On 2/22/2020 at 1:31 PM, Dreamer said:

It could be simple intimacy formed between people who only had each other for years of pain, but looking at Ash's narration it seems likely that they were romantically attached or at least she felt something for him

Especially the line about his hands.

8 hours ago, Karger said:

I sort of have a bodyguard romance for the two of them from back when the two of them were human floating around in my head.

I have a similar idea! It was like a knight and princess/lady romance, but it could never happen due to their stations. And then Taln jumps at the chance to become a Herald to protect everyone and stay close to Ash, so finally they could be together...and then the constant Desolations happen, never truly allowing them the chance. Or something like that. 

11 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

I have a similar idea! It was like a knight and princess/lady romance

Yeah that was always my theory when reading Oathbringer. There's that Stormfather quote in chapter 38 ". Hoping that the one they left in Damnation would alone be enough to hold it all together. The one who wasn't meant to have joined them in the first place, the one who was not a king, scholar, or general."

It left me questioning why Taln would agree to become a Herald. Him being in love with Shalash makes sense considering how she acts around him.

• Chaos locked this topic