• The Well of Ascension
    • The Hero of Ages
  2. 2. Did you like Mistborn: Secret History

• Yay
    • Nay

6 hours ago, The Hero of Masks said:

Whats your favorite one? 

Well of Ascension

Ignoring the whole unnecessary love triangle tension with Zane, it packed the most punch that was evenly spaced out. Elend and Sazed were a blast to read in this book, not to mention our favourite doggy Kandra

13 hours ago, Dreamer said:

Well of Ascension

Ignoring the whole unnecessary love triangle tension with Zane, it packed the most punch that was evenly spaced out. Elend and Sazed were a blast to read in this book, not to mention our favourite doggy Kandra

I always have a REALLY hard time deciding. I like all of them A LOT. But If i had to choose one it would be The Hero of Ages. But really I LOVE the hole Mistborn Saga.

Not going to lie, I think TFE is the best, because it was just so well crafted. It had a great opening and closing to the book and I honestly think it is Brandon’s best work. One of my friends didn’t even continue with the rest of the series because he thought the first one couldn’t have a better sequel, because the book was so well made. 

On 2/22/2020 at 5:42 PM, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

I'm a little sad we only have 2 votes for WoA.

Even though i myself didn't vote for the WoA. I do agree that the book does not get enough credit. I think in general the middle books(if you know what i mean) in a trilogy/series does't get enough credit.

Doing a reread now! I think definitely the first book.

The first book had everything. It's got character growth, action, a heist at an impossible task that would also save the world, an epic magic system to explore with hints of even more behind the scenes. Pretty awesome stuff. Basically everything I want.

Each of the other two has minor flaws that make them not as excellent.

The second book seems like a step down in two ways. First, the stakes - after fighting to end a thousand-year-long tyranny by a god, mundane fights against armies don't seem to matter as much to me, so I never quite got into that conflict as much. The stakes get raised with the Well storyline, but how it mattered and connected just felt more obscure and hard to connect to. And second, of course, is the recurring theme that in times of crisis, democracy fails and you need a strongman ruler to take control of things. Given the decay of democracy going on the past few years in the US, that message seems very topical and not in a good way.

In the third book, I didn't like how, in retrospect, it made most of what the characters did in books 1 and 2 feel like not their accomplishments, just Ruin's manipulation. In addition, the direct conflict with Ruin always pinged my suspension of disbelief a bit - when Ruin was released at the end of book 2, it felt like GG, heroes lose, world destroyed. It never quite made sense why Ruin would mess up a winning position that badly. Yes, I got the explanations the book provided, but it didn't feel to me to be as natural as book 1.

I greatly enjoyed all three. But the very first one is definitely my favorite.

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 1:20 AM, The Awakened Salad said:

TFE has Kelsier. End of discussion :P

But so does

Spoiler

Secret History

which could be taken into consideration. In my previous post though I did say I loved TFE. Kelsier would make any book significantly better! ;)