The God Complex

Darth Woodrack

Third Character  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should we allow a tertiary, non godly, character?

• Yes
    • No

I figure that things will be interesting this way go for it. In this circumstance I think it appropriate to allow you create the words. With the current course of events and Cannae thrown into the mix it'll make for the best option here. Don't worry about god modding me in this situation.  

@ZincAboutIt

Always willing to change this if I've somehow misinterpreted what you want me to say here, and also whether or not I did enough research on what Cannae is (assuming it's the ancient Rome vs. Carthage battle set in that area in 216 BCE). :P 

"You said there was enough agony and blood on that field to slake even a god's thirst for it," Caeli said softly, her voice echoing in the hollow of the stone cavern, "and more besides."

She had been there, for a little while. The defeat of the mighty, outdone by the few - the lesser enemy. Outflanked, and killed by the thousands. Caeli looked down at Baalhan.

"This coming war you sense," she continued. "Are we Carthage? Or are we Rome."

@Nathrangking

19 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"You said there was enough agony and blood on that field to slake even a god's thirst for it," Caeli said softly, her voice echoing in the hollow of the stone cavern, "and more besides."

She had been there, for a little while. The defeat of the mighty, outdone by the few - the lesser enemy. Outflanked, and killed by the thousands. Caeli looked down at Baalhan.

"This coming war you sense," she continued. "Are we Carthage? Or are we Rome."

@Nathrangking

The research was spot on.While not exactly what I was going for improvisation makes for some fun results. Great work!! For something like this the research was more than enough. After all this is not history class.

The secret of many millennia coming to light seemed to vibrate the air and make the dead of that long buried field rest at last. 

"It is hard to know. At that time as at this one all was fluid rapidly changing and in no way set. The cycle of destruction would have satisfied even the most blood thirsty deity and this that I see will have repercussions far beyond any that came from the events of that day. Cannae led the way for the rise of the Roman empire as well as every subsequent empire in the modern day. What is coming overwhelmed me momentarily. Something dangerous has been set in motion and if we don't take care all will be lost."

I finally rise to my feet and look at Sangus.

"Shall we retire to someplace more suitable for planning our next moves?"

@Dr. Dapper @Sorana @Blessing of Potency @ZincAboutIt

Edited by Nathrangking

As the gods emerge, they see a vile creature made of vines and flowers, with pieces of skeletons stuck within. With two tendrils, it is holding up a bloodied corpse, and seems to be eating part of it. At the sight of the gods, it rushes off into the back of the layer, through a thick, impossibly dense wall of roses.

Within ten seconds, a man wearing what seems to be a flower costume strolls out of a curtain of dandelions, smiling widely. "Hello! I'm Sunshine, god of flowers!"

DANK stated at the monster flowergod for a couple seconds before acclimating to the sight. It was easier than it would be for most mortals, because as a mortal he spent hours at a time on such sites as r/50/50 and such. He wasn't completely used to seeing such horrifying things in real life, but he would have to be if he wanted to survive in this world of gods.

Even so, it was still nice when he changes forms.

DANK smiled. "Nice to meet you. As Barbados said, I'm DANK, god of memes."

Mizuki stared at the scene, trying not to throw up, and moved back a bit more, trying to hide behind Bardabos. At the same time a faint silver aura slowly became visible around her, while the darkness seemed to conceal her to some degree. "Um, Hayate Mizuki," she said with a slight tremble in her voice. "...Nice to meet you... I'm... I guess I'm a moon goddess?"

Sunshine raises an eyebrow at Barbatos. "Mind my... pet. He can be a bit rough." He wipes a small bloodstain from the corner of his mouth. As Sunshine steps into a patch of sunlight, the petals of the assumed 'costume' move visibly towards the light, and he seems to become more green then before. 

15 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

The secret of many millennia coming to light seemed to vibrate the air and make the dead of that long buried field rest at last. 

"It is hard to know. At that time as at this one all was fluid rapidly changing and in no way set. The cycle of destruction would have satisfied even the most blood thirsty deity and this that I see will have repercussions far beyond any that came from the events of that day. Cannae led the way for the rise of the Roman empire as well as every subsequent empire in the modern day. What is coming overwhelmed me momentarily. Something dangerous has been set in motion and if we don't take care all will be lost."

I finally rise to my feet and look at Sangus.

"Shall we retire to someplace more suitable for planning our next moves?"

@Dr. Dapper @Sorana @Blessing of Potency @ZincAboutIt

“Certainly. There is much to be done if we are to defeat the God Complex.” Sangus led the group up a set of stairs carved into the stone, torches coming alight as they walked. The entire fortress seemed to be carved from the same stone, with no visible gaps. Eventually, they came to a landing rather high up within the fortress. Sangus smiled a little, and pushed a set of doors open. Within was a large room, with floor to ceiling windows on the far side, which looked out over a snow-covered mountain range. 

“Perhaps a little dramatic, in hindsight, but the view is wonderful.” Sangus gestured to the round table situated in the center of the room, with many chairs around it. Both the table and the chairs were carved from stone, though they looked comfortable enough. He seated himself with his back to the windows. Luna sat next to him, laying her sword on the table in front of her.

37 minutes ago, Dr. Dapper said:

“Certainly. There is much to be done if we are to defeat the God Complex.” Sangus led the group up a set of stairs carved into the stone, torches coming alight as they walked. The entire fortress seemed to be carved from the same stone, with no visible gaps. Eventually, they came to a landing rather high up within the fortress. Sangus smiled a little, and pushed a set of doors open. Within was a large room, with floor to ceiling windows on the far side, which looked out over a snow-covered mountain range. 

“Perhaps a little dramatic, in hindsight, but the view is wonderful.” Sangus gestured to the round table situated in the center of the room, with many chairs around it. Both the table and the chairs were carved from stone, though they looked comfortable enough. He seated himself with his back to the windows. Luna sat next to him, laying her sword on the table in front of her.

I gaze around at the chamber than Sangus led us to not so much in wonder as in appreciation for the efforts he had most likely taken to not only create such a structure, but to keep it hidden from the prying eyes of mortals. There is much to be said for those who use their powers not to bend the mortal world to their whims, but instead to better it or even better still leave it be. The seclusion of this place will serve us well. I walk as quickly as I yet dare and seat myself in a chair facing the windows. I will my quiver and bow away into the divine realm. 

"The question is this. What level of resources do we have save our direct influences?"

Edited by Nathrangking

34 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

"The question is this. What level of resources do we have save our direct influences?"

Leila reached behind her and picked her scroll out of the air, took it with her. Maybe they would need it later on, and if not, if never hurt to have a possibility to note down the plan they agreed upon. She left her bag and scroll ona chair next to Balhaans but stepped over to the window for the moment, looked outside. The mountains streched as far as she could see, calm and seemingly eternal. She had watched mountains rise and vanish again, and she liked their gentle and in comparison slow movements. It was a different rhythm, a different tale, one spun slow and steadily.

"I don't have a lot of ressources." Leila admitted. "I might be able to access their planning or coordination, if they write it down." It depended, but with their actions influencing history on a large scale the chance wasn't neglectable small. Falling silent she watched an eagle swoop down towards an unseen target. "And I am able to offer another hideout for us to use." She gave a slight shrug. "Apart from that - if you're looking for a specific book I am always happy to help."

Darth, it's up to you if she can gain some knowledge or not, of course.

@Darth Woodrack

“Well, I have followers around the world.” Sangus said, a pipe appearing in his hand, already lit. He puffed on it for a moment, blowing a ring of smoke into the air. “I will contact a few of them, to inquire what they know of the Complex. Together, they know much, perhaps more than me.” Sangus looked at the assembled gods. “We will also need mortal manpower, I think. Alone, we will not be able to destroy the God Complex.” 

-----------------------------

A cold mountain wind blew Ashley’s hair in front of her face. It swept away the scent of blood that drifted up from the corpses around her. She turned into the wind, letting it blow her hair back. She smiled somewhat grimly. She didn’t even know who these soldiers had been. Likely, they were mercenaries, like her. Ashley sighed, whispering a prayer for the mercenaries who had died. They had simply been collateral damage. No, she’d been paid to retrieve an item off the man whom the mercenaries were protecting. 

She flipped the man’s corpse over, taking in his half melted, half blasted skull in expressionlessly. He’d taken a shotgun blast to the head, apparently. Must have been caught in the crossfire. Ashley looked through his pockets, finding a USB stick, a wallet, a small journal, and a key card. She took everything, as she’d been told to do. She recalled her orders. She didn’t need him alive, luckily. No, the job had been to take everything he had on him. So she searched the rest of his body, finding a couple more things, including a small pendant with the symbol of Luna on it. Apparently he’d been looking for protection. She chuckled for a moment, then stopped. Luna wouldn’t like that, she wagered. 

“Sorry friend.” she whispered quietly, tucking his things into her pocket and standing up. There wasn’t anything else to be done, so she left the campsite, walking leisurely down a trail to the highway. Her bike was where she’d left it, so she vaulted onto it and shifted it into gear, heading back for the small mountain town she’d been staying in for the last few weeks.

3 hours ago, Darth Woodrack said:

You see, this is why you should have joined Barbados.

good point

3 hours ago, Dr. Dapper said:

Because he had mortal manpower? In that case, he should have brought that up during the actual meeting.

better point

Caebdar roared, flapping his wings. A flash of blinding light filled the room, and he was back to his humanoid form. He stepped across the threshold into Sunshine's domain.

~ ~ ~

Tut'Kor'Anuumo looked around the fortress, ultimately unimpressed.

19 hours ago, Sorana said:

Leila reached behind her and picked her scroll out of the air, took it with her. Maybe they would need it later on, and if not, if never hurt to have a possibility to note down the plan they agreed upon. She left her bag and scroll ona chair next to Balhaans but stepped over to the window for the moment, looked outside. The mountains streched as far as she could see, calm and seemingly eternal. She had watched mountains rise and vanish again, and she liked their gentle and in comparison slow movements. It was a different rhythm, a different tale, one spun slow and steadily.

"I don't have a lot of ressources." Leila admitted. "I might be able to access their planning or coordination, if they write it down." It depended, but with their actions influencing history on a large scale the chance wasn't neglectable small. Falling silent she watched an eagle swoop down towards an unseen target. "And I am able to offer another hideout for us to use." She gave a slight shrug. "Apart from that - if you're looking for a specific book I am always happy to help."

@Darth Woodrack

6 hours ago, Dr. Dapper said:

“Well, I have followers around the world.” Sangus said, a pipe appearing in his hand, already lit. He puffed on it for a moment, blowing a ring of smoke into the air. “I will contact a few of them, to inquire what they know of the Complex. Together, they know much, perhaps more than me.” Sangus looked at the assembled gods. “We will also need mortal manpower, I think. Alone, we will not be able to destroy the God Complex.” 

-----------------------------

A cold mountain wind blew Ashley’s hair in front of her face. It swept away the scent of blood that drifted up from the corpses around her. She turned into the wind, letting it blow her hair back. She smiled somewhat grimly. She didn’t even know who these soldiers had been. Likely, they were mercenaries, like her. Ashley sighed, whispering a prayer for the mercenaries who had died. They had simply been collateral damage. No, she’d been paid to retrieve an item off the man whom the mercenaries were protecting. 

She flipped the man’s corpse over, taking in his half melted, half blasted skull in expressionlessly. He’d taken a shotgun blast to the head, apparently. Must have been caught in the crossfire. Ashley looked through his pockets, finding a USB stick, a wallet, a small journal, and a key card. She took everything, as she’d been told to do. She recalled her orders. She didn’t need him alive, luckily. No, the job had been to take everything he had on him. So she searched the rest of his body, finding a couple more things, including a small pendant with the symbol of Luna on it. Apparently he’d been looking for protection. She chuckled for a moment, then stopped. Luna wouldn’t like that, she wagered. 

“Sorry friend.” she whispered quietly, tucking his things into her pocket and standing up. There wasn’t anything else to be done, so she left the campsite, walking leisurely down a trail to the highway. Her bike was where she’d left it, so she vaulted onto it and shifted it into gear, heading back for the small mountain town she’d been staying in for the last few weeks.

2 hours ago, bees? said:

Caebdar roared, flapping his wings. A flash of blinding light filled the room, and he was back to his humanoid form. He stepped across the threshold into Sunshine's domain.

~ ~ ~

Tut'Kor'Anuumo looked around the fortress, ultimately unimpressed.

My eyes take in everything and nothing stratagems of all sorts begin to form as I listen to the answers that are being given to my question. An infinity of variables race through my mind as plans and counter plans quickly form. I quickly take stock of my fellow deities secure in the knowledge that the power contained in this room would shake the so called God Complex to its core. Soon they would learn why I am the embodiment of War and Slaughter!!

I break out of my reverie. I see Leila gazing at the shifting snow outside and it occurs to me not for the first time just how much Leila's wonder at the world never ceases to amaze me. For one as ancient as she even the simplest of things still hold much beauty she is not jaded and she has always had my admiration for that. If a bit irreverent for a god she is one whom I am proud to call friend. I focus on her. "Fall back points and knowledge will serve us well in the coming war. We will need as many camps as possible should the worse come to pass."

I turn to Sangus. "Be careful my friend though knowing you such words are unnecessary. In times to come that which your followers know may give us an edge we must do what we can to ensure that we are not found out by those who would like their secrets kept hidden."

"I too have fortresses and hidden camps to offer up should that be necessary. While I don't necessarily have followers in the traditional sense as we used to know them there are friends and allies upon whom I can call. These include those that can fight on our behalf. There are also vast stores of weapons whose keys I hold." 

I turn to Tut'Kor'Anuumo. "What of you Tut'Kor'Anuumo?"

@bees? @Sorana @Dr. Dapper @Blessing of Potency @ZincAboutIt

The short version The Pantheon  team is meeting in Barbados' headquarters. The complex attacked one of his facilities and Barbados wants revenge.  In addition they met a rather interesting god of flowers.

On the other side Baalhan and group visited the scene of Ares' death and picked up Tut'Kor'Anuumo a creation god and Leila goddess of tales and literature along the way. Caeli vowed vengeance for the actions committed by the complex. Baalhan was overwhelmed by the feedback of destruction set loose by the Complex. As a group we fled to a fortress of Sangus. We are now figuring out what each god can bring to the table and start planning.

In between three non godly characters have been brought into play.

3 minutes ago, Blessing of Potency said:

At some point during there travels Chao had left, she couldn't remember exactly when. She approaches the group, her form now a teenaged girl. "I apologize, my powers are not always under my control. That and the old war god didn't like me very much."

Cocks right eyebrow. Did you go join the Pantheon or return to the other group?