The God Complex

Darth Woodrack

Third Character  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should we allow a tertiary, non godly, character?

• Yes
    • No

Ulix stood and said, “While I will not state my views of what Barbados is saying, I can affirm the truth of his statements of the complex. The woman he was courting was a goddess of nature, the madam of the pack. The wolf who started the Roman Empire. He was unaware of this of course, but she was powerful. The other god who he found was your colleague Baalhan, Ares. It seems that mortals finally caught up to him. The third god that got killed was the most powerful god that ever existed. Chaos, the lord of creation. The one who made the world. He could only be killed by a mortal, and he was. It is my belief that without gods the world will simply... fail. The five gods that were captured were Zephyr, yes they managed to cage the air, Helios, Jesus, Rah, who finally managed to escape Aphophis, you know, after they captured him as well. So, now that you have all the facts, make an educated decision,” Before becoming most and leaving himself.

Sangus nodded thoughtfully. "Mortals do love to organize things. This group is no exception, I believe. Looking further into the God Complex and the deities they've managed to kill would serve us well." He paused, listening to what Ulix had to say. "So they have managed to slay Chaos himself. And cage the sun, too. This... changes things somewhat. It is all the more important that we learn how these particular mortals killed those gods." 

As Barbados began walking away, DANK suddenly realized he would have to make a good exit if he wanted people to notice him. Knowing he was taking a huge risk, he pulled out his meme deck and drew from it. When he saw what card he drew, he frowned in disappointment.

Spoiler

Image result for sesame street meme

'Sesame Street Memes'

Ah well, he'll make it work. Sometimes you have to make do with the cards you have.

The essence of Sesame Street memes is making something that looks innocent and implying a secret and horrifying background. The power of this one was moderate, so he would be able to do something interesting, at least.

He went with creating a general aura around him that affected how others view him. Although it wouldn't shake their preconceptions that he was a weak and inexperienced god, it may imbue some perception of him as a potentially powerful god and ally. It wouldn't work on the really powerful gods, or those with powers that specifically countered it. It would still help.

With this aura surrounding him, he followed the small group of gods.

This was a random draw, in case you're wondering.

Edited by Kidpen

28 minutes ago, Blessing of Potency said:

“Control.” Chao mutters to herself, just loud enough for Baalhan to hear, “control brings the best chaos of them all, chaos of the mind.”

26 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Caeli snorted and raised an eyebrow at the impassioned war god. "Yes, I do imagine Pope Alexander VI would have loved that. 'Penned by the hand of a god.' Not the God of the Hebrews - who, by the way, has never once acknowledged any of my feasting invitations - but another god. Delightful! Oh, Sangus, you've robbed us all of quite the laugh with that modesty of yours."

She giggled and the sound rang in the air, her hair fanning out slightly around her. Caeli dropped her chin into her palm and looked at the remaining gods seated in the bunker. "Now, if we're all rather done making stirring speeches," her blue gaze rested for an extended moment on Baalhan before roving once more across the room, "I for one would like some more information about what, exactly, has happened. These mortals have killed three gods. How? I suggest a trip to the site of one of these murders, that we might ascertain a little more evidence on what, exactly, those clever little sheep have up their sleeves this time."

2 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

Ulix stood and said, “While I will not state my views of what Barbados is saying, I can affirm the truth of his statements of the complex. The woman he was courting was a goddess of nature, the madam of the pack. The wolf who started the Roman Empire. He was unaware of this of course, but she was powerful. The other god who he found was your colleague Baalhan, Ares. It seems that mortals finally caught up to him. The third god that got killed was the most powerful god that ever existed. Chaos, the lord of creation. The one who made the world. He could only be killed by a mortal, and he was. It is my belief that without gods the world will simply... fail. The five gods that were captured were Zephyr, yes they managed to cage the air, Helios, Jesus, Rah, who finally managed to escape Aphophis, you know, after they captured him as well. So, now that you have all the facts, make an educated decision,” Before becoming most and leaving himself.

I lower my voice and mutter. "Indeed it does which leads to the chaos of war."

I turn my  glowing metallic gaze back on Caeli. It lingers. "Regardless of what the world lost that day the death of gods is no small matter." I turn to Barbados. "My sight of battles past shall reveal much I think. I will of course turn it to the task of learning what has taken place. I shall meditate on this and offer to you a prayer when I know more."

My voice lowers slightly in prayer. "The She Wolf of Rome Barbados? I'm sorry for your loss. I knew her well. I helped her train Romulus and Remus. She will be missed."
 I return my voice to a normal range and turn to the remaining gods. "Ares was always a bit too impetuous and sure of his power. A wild god he was, but a brother nonetheless. As for Chaos this is indeed a cause for concern. With primordial chaos, the sun's of Egypt and Greece, the air, and the ascended mortal trouble is soon to follow. I must prepare for that which is to come."

"Sangus if there is anyone who can see that which must be seen it is you. Will you join me in my search for certain answers to help in the the war that is to come? What of you Sif Hawm?"

I turn back to Caeli. "Your eyes are everywhere. Will you send your spies forth?"

21 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Thanks! Do you have any idea of which ones are dead or captured? Any deities with a larger, older domain that could be leveraged to make an impression on all the old ones? I think it would be fun to go visit the site of a death and do some god sleuthing in the field. Show off a few abilities, make some discoveries, snark at each other some more. Just god stuff, y'know.

Could prove most interesting.

21 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

Oh, all the gods can show up anywhere, though that may incur Barbados’s wrath

I welcome a challenge.

18 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

Ah yes, incur the wrath of a god who can shoot purple lighting that treats gods like a lighting strike on a mortal, but can’t kill them, that physically cannot miss. That’s a genius idea. Not to mention the demon flower guy.

See above.

15 minutes ago, Invocation said:

You underestimate my (or rather, Sij Hawm's) power.

Most do.

"I certainly will, my friend." Sangus nodded. He could see something taking shape here, an alliance between those who had chosen to remain. "There is much to gain in the coming days, I think, and much to be lost as well. We will likely balance this world on a knife's edge, though which way it will tip is still uncertain. For perhaps the first time, mortals have become a major player in our games. Everything has shifted now, I believe, and while we could outwait the Complex, some kind of war is inevitable." Sangus finally stood up, his form changing to that of an old man who stood upright, the weight of age seemingly not touching him. "The body of a child, while wonderful," he said in a rich voice, "Is not suited for traveling to battlefields."

Just now, Nathrangking said:

Sif

Spoiler

Sif - Wikipedia>Sif (sorry, couldn't resist)

15 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

Will you join me in my search for certain answers to help in the the war that is to come? What of you Sif Hawm?"

"I will. Perhaps that will give cause to reconsider my refusal. Perhaps we would do well for this. Perhaps we may even outstrip Barbados. Time will tell," grinned Sij Hawm. "Time always does."

10 hours ago, Dr. Dapper said:

"I certainly will, my friend." Sangus nodded. He could see something taking shape here, an alliance between those who had chosen to remain. "There is much to gain in the coming days, I think, and much to be lost as well. We will likely balance this world on a knife's edge, though which way it will tip is still uncertain. For perhaps the first time, mortals have become a major player in our games. Everything has shifted now, I believe, and while we could outwait the Complex, some kind of war is inevitable." Sangus finally stood up, his form changing to that of an old man who stood upright, the weight of age seemingly not touching him. "The body of a child, while wonderful," he said in a rich voice, "Is not suited for traveling to battlefields."

10 hours ago, Invocation said:

"I will. Perhaps that will give cause to reconsider my refusal. Perhaps we would do well for this. Perhaps we may even outstrip Barbados. Time will tell," grinned Sij Hawm. "Time always does."

"Sangus my friend the fate of the world may well stand upon the universal scales. We shall not fail it. Indeed Sij it does. It reveals much and shall not fail us."

I turn my head to Chao. "What say you Chao if I keep things sufficiently chaotic will you join us?"

My gaze returns to Caeli. "Caeli?"

@ZincAboutIt

Edited by Nathrangking

Switching to 3rd person b/c first is bad and also when I mean large dragon I mean GoT full grown dragon but also bigger (like a lot)

Caebdar cracks his neck and stretches himself out. A dark, yet, at the same time, bright outline of a large white dragon forms around him, and his body expands to fit it. "I follow."

@Darth Woodrack

Caeli grinned a cold, white grin and spread her fingers. The light wind around her picked up, ruffling the hem of her dress, and the blue-green of her eyes intensified. "I'll call a current for any who wish to travel with me by air. If there is something out there to find, you can be assured that I will find it. Sound travels fast on the wind."

She winked, then dissolved into innumerable motes of light that danced and whirled in the confines of the bunker. The sound of distant laughter echoed over the walls before Caeli's voice emitted from the translucent vapor.

"Let us leave this place, and find some answers. I was not aware that this God Complex were foolish enough to cage Zephyr. Although," the wind grew colder, nearly leaving a trail of frost along a wall, and a note of gleeful malice wove its way through her voice, "I think I shall enjoy laughing at their folly when we find him."

@Nathrangking

@kenod @bees? @Coda

The group arrives at a massive tower. A hundred and twenty floors, 9,000 square foot base. Made of black marble with red veins throughout it, with reflective windows. Along every floor barrier there were small quartz bats, and with the top twenty floors a massive design of a bat, with large supported wings and a giant head. Bats roosted along the building, and when you looked into the lobby you see several dozen men wearing full black suits with a symbol of a pat crested on the suits beneath the right collar bone. They are obviously packing. Barbators turns to his fellow gods and says, "Do you like it? I've been having this built over over a hundred years. It's the headquarters for our war against the complex. An old friend of mine is camped out on the hundred and sixteenth floor."

Barbados walked into the lobby and all of them men gave a brief bow. He walked into the elevator and waited for the other three gods to join him.

9 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Caeli grinned a cold, white grin and spread her fingers. The light wind around her picked up, ruffling the hem of her dress, and the blue-green of her eyes intensified. "I'll call a current for any who wish to travel with me by air. If there is something out there to find, you can be assured that I will find it. Sound travels fast on the wind."

She winked, then dissolved into innumerable motes of light that danced and whirled in the confines of the bunker. The sound of distant laughter echoed over the walls before Caeli's voice emitted from the translucent vapor.

"Let us leave this place, and find some answers. I was not aware that this God Complex were foolish enough to cage Zephyr. Although," the wind grew colder, nearly leaving a trail of frost along a wall, and a note of gleeful malice wove its way through her voice, "I think I shall enjoy laughing at their folly when we find him."

I turn my head to Chao. "What say you Chao if I keep things sufficiently chaotic will you join us?"

"We have no time to waste. Wisdom waits for none." I quickly make my way through the field of bodies and across the cavern. "Shall we pay our respects to my late cousin Ares?" My voice echoes. My wings expand and I fly out into the open air without awaiting a response. The freedom of the air brings me a clarity that I have long missed.

@Dr. Dapper @I think I am here. @Invocation @Blessing of Potency

Edited by Nathrangking

We’re not looking for the body per say, just the location of his death. I should think at least some of the gods have ways of telling what kind of mark that leaves in the metaphysical realm. Might give some clues about the means of murder. 

Also, do you know how the gods are being killed? It’s ok if you want to slow reveal it, but any clues we could pick up? :]

okay sorry, I am obviously completely unable to keep up with the pace of this (sorry timezone issue)

I'd planned that she doesn't join the pantheon, but again, I lost track of which group is which. Anyway here is an intro post, and I would be glad if she could somehow be picked up by the right people.

Leila snapped her book shut and looked up. Meeting right. She had a meeting to go to. Strechting in her stool she closed her eyes for a moment felt around the world, all these bright minds writing and composing. Smiling she chose a random one and gave them a little nudge. Their eyes brightened and they leaned forward, as if struck by an idea.

Hopping out of her stool she picked up a huge, old tome and a quill and started to walk towards her door. Her eyes moved over an old scroll, she had discovered it hidden in a tomb only a few days ago and she found herself picking it up, marvelling at the old, forgotten language it was written in. If she left this one for some human to find, it would cause a huge disruption, change what they knew about the ancient society fundamentally. Shaking her head, she carefully placed it in a glass cube, made sure it was well protected and waved it goodbye. You couldn't trust most humans with something like that. They would cut out little parts to try and guess how old it was. Shuddering she finally turned around. No, it was better she kept it here, in her place, her library. Better to keep it away from their prying hands.

When she finally neared the meeting place, she somehow suspected that she was late. So incredibly late, that she wasn't even sure if there was anybody still left for reconaissance.

Sangus smiled, turning to speak to Luna, who'd watched the entire exchange expressionlessly. "I suppose we should follow them." He concentrated, focusing his mind into a single point until a vision suddenly snapped into clarity. He could see the location where they would find Area's body, see them discovering, though little more than that. 

"I know that look. Take us to his body, Father." Luna said quietly. Her father placed a hand on her shoulder and shifted them away. They appeared relatively close to the actual location, though not exactly. 

Mizuki looked at the building in amazement, wondering how Bardabos managed to build something like this. Looking around she saw Bardabos walk on, and she quickly followed after him through the lobby. She looked at the men walking around, wondering if they were armed. Given the situation she guessed they must be, though the idea still felt weird to her. It almost made her feel as if she was in some weird Yakuza building. Still, if they did have weapons they might have a shooting range as well. She doubted they would have proper bows there, but it might still give her a place to practice.

Still lost in thought she followed Bardabos into the elevator, standing in a corner behind him.

As I rise into the sky I see below me a face that seems to pop up every where. Over the centuries we have met a handful of times. That she was only now coming to the meeting is unsurprising. Though there is little time to lose if the Complex is hunting gods she could well be on their radar. Whisper a prayer to Sangus. "An old friend of ours has delayed me. If you are already on the way to the scene stay safe. I will send up a prayer soon any of your divine wisdom will be appreciated at that time." I then begin to whisper a prayer to Caeli. "Caeli please do keep these winds blowing while I inform our old acquaintance of what has happened." I turn a brief prayer to Sij Hawm "Sij can keep an eye Sangus? If things get ugly before I can get there he will need all of the assistance possible."

I quickly glide down to the ground in front of the red haired god who is standing alone.

"Hello Leila. Its been too long."

@Dr. Dapper @ZincAboutIt @Invocation @Sorana

Edited by Nathrangking

Ferocious god of war plus... cat? Just another day :P 

"This current will remain to take you on when you're finished," Caeli agreed. "Though do try and keep her from reading anything on the way, you know how she is. I keep trying to tell her, oral history is superior in all ways when one's memory stretches back to the dawn of the planet, but does she listen? Of course not..."

She sped onwards as Baalhan dropped out of the slipstream, and for a little while she simply allowed herself to feel the great turning of the earth, and the many millions of rivers in the air, coming and going. High pressure systems, storms, great walls of sand blowing over deserts, sailors becalmed in a hopeless, windless sea. Caeli was the air, and her awareness spread out on each whisper of a breeze, her senses tuned towards the scar left in the divine realm that always marked the death of a god.

It was no easy thing, Caeli being, as she was, attuned far more closely with the physical than the metaphysical. But she was a god, and she was old, and enough time and practice made someone decent at nearly anything. She found the three rents in the firmament of reality, weeping like gut wounds, each in a separate place. One radiated a volatile, hungry energy that put Caeli in mind of combat and pumping blood and bright battle rage.

Ares. Impetuous and impulsive, even in death. She turned her attention towards that sense and raced across the earth, coming to rest in the high stratosphere above what she knew was a remote piece of Grecian countryside. The hot, deep finality of the scar in the world thumped hard and terrible here, leaking anger and violence. Caeli shuddered once, then descended, locking the current of air to this place so any others could follow. It would remain for one hour. After that, they'd have to find their own way.

She touched down and reformed, feeling the presence of others nearby. Sangus and Luna stood a little ways off, and Caeli raced to join them.

"The others are coming," she said, the barest breeze stirring her hair. Everything about this place suggested a somber tone, and there was a pressure in the world here, a wrongness. Caeli crossed her arms and looked down the empty grassland towards the center of all that wrongness.

"It's down there." Caeli jerked her chin at the spot. "I'm sure you can feel it too. It feels... different."

@Dr. Dapper

"'Different' is an understatement. It feels wrong, that mortals should have killed him. I wonder how many of them he managed to kill." Sangus picked his way across the grasses. As he walked, he began to notice some signs of a fight. Grass was trampled to the ground in massive patches, and there were ruts in the ground. Luna followed, seemingly relaxed, but walking with the smooth gait of a prowling lioness. She was on edge, ready for God Complex soldiers, other gods, just about anything that might appear. Sangus moved in a lose circle around the feeling of wrongness, trying to reconstruct what had happened in his head.

"This was a massacre for the Complex. Many, many of them died here. Though, Ares has killed more men before, and walked away all but unscathed. What was his weakness?" Sangus pondered. He wasn't the best at work like this, but wisdom came into almost everything.