The God Complex

Darth Woodrack

Third Character  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should we allow a tertiary, non godly, character?

• Yes
    • No

DANK looked up from taking and captioning high quality pictures of the other gods in the room when he heard the discussion move to the idea of a permanent and binding deal.

"All right everyone, let's hold up for just one second. I'm not sure I want to get tied into something permanent unless I've ran with this group for a little while and decided you guys are cool. And especially not before we've heavily discussed the specific details of everything we're doing here. For that matter, maybe some introductions are in order for us newer gods?"

"If it is sent into the air, Baalhan, you can be assured that I recall it. And six hundred years is hardly a long weekend to ones such as us. I remember the day as clear as a winter morning."

War was nothing special to Caeli, but it was fascinating, and she had been the wind in many banner flags. She had called the gales of ice and horror that had frozen soldiers, and she had stilled the air to allow a bugle note to pierce the night. Caeli had ridden smoke currents around campfires, listened to men gamble and drink, laugh in the arms of their camp followers. She had been the reason for many deaths, and for many lives.

She turned to face Sij Hawm as they appeared, feeling a tiny knot of tension in her gut. If Sij was unwilling to bind themself, then what did that say about this alliance. 

"As Baalhan has so succinctly put it, words do indeed have power. And perhaps no one knows it better than you, Sij Hawm - you who have known Time in its truest form. If you have reason to doubt this coalition, I would think it prudent to listen to your reasons why. Indeed, words are wind, and I know better than any how swiftly a wind can kill."

@Nathrangking @Invocation 

1 minute ago, ZincAboutIt said:

If you have reason to doubt this coalition, I would think it prudent to listen to your reasons why.

Sij Hawm nodded in recognition of Caeli, completely brushing off the one-step-from-mortal DANK without sparing him a thought. "Should we bind, what assurances have we that this is not widening our gaps to this...Complex...and allowing them to crush us shortly? Groups are not always stronger."

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

Sij Hawm nodded in recognition of Caeli, completely brushing off the one-step-from-mortal DANK without sparing him a thought. "Should we bind, what assurances have we that this is not widening our gaps to this...Complex...and allowing them to crush us shortly? Groups are not always stronger."

I turn my gaze upon Sij Hawm. Their words are wise as they always are and yet there is something more and unspoken at play. A hardness fills my eyes and the glow in my armor becomes just a bit brighter. An aura grows around me and in an instant suffuses the whole chamber. I know well the power that Sij holds is among the most ancient. I must try and secure him and aid Caeli if we are to have any true chance of success.

"Sij Hawm who knows time's true essence, they who bind, and they who ends your words are truth. We could well destroy ourselves in attempting what has been proposed. That being so is it not telling that I am willing to sign this pact. Have I ever chosen to side with those who were doomed to fail. Have I not graced the likes of Caesar, Alexander, Napoleon to name a few and granted them success when they called my name? By my name as the god of warfare, I Baalhan, he who grants victory, slayer of kingdoms, master of the field of battle, prince of the immortal blade swear myself to this cause and bless it with victory from this day!!"

My voice fills the chamber and my sword returns to my outstretched hand. A blinding sapphire light envelopes the room and then fades. When it does my blade is once again gone. I slump in my seat wearily.

@ZincAboutIt

Edited by Nathrangking

2 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

My voice fills the chamber and my sword returns to my outstretched hand. A blinding sapphire light envelopes the room and then fades. When it does my blade is once again gone. I slump in my seat wearily.

"I would not say that resume with such confidence. Caesar died, victim to his own friends. Alexander died before he could stabilize his rule. Napoleon died in disgrace. You claim yourself Master of the Battlefields as if time fails to render all battles, combatants and commanders alike, into dust. You seem to have a habit of choosing poorly where to throw your weight." Sij Hawm was almost disappointed. If they could see it, surely someone else could too. Perhaps there would be no deal, but they would gain regardless as the intangible bonds rotted. "I am almost disappointed in you."

"None of you have to join, you may leave at any time you wish. I am asking for you to join because throughout history, Pantheons have been strong. The Complex is stronger than any mortal organization we have ever encountered. I know to many of you view me as young, many of you dislike me. One of you asked me why now. Simple answer, I, and my worshippers, measure the passing years on the day I became a god. That is today. This same day last year, a young goddess I was courting was captured by the God Complex. I thought she was just coming and going. She did that. A month later my worshippers found her body. During this month, a dozen temples had been destroyed, and blood ran in the streets. Not from my war, that came later. I assumed another god had killed her. I searched for another month before I found the truth. In this time another god's body had been found, and two dozen temples had been destroyed. I then began my own war. Over the last ten months, something happened that had never happened before. I am losing. I reached out for help. I believe that we can destroy them. All you agree with me, please rise now," Barbados said, standing up.

They were ignoring him. Of course they were. They were old gods and goddesses, they didn't understand his potential. He may have seemed weak then, but just when things were at their worst and it looked like they would lose, DANK would pull his trump card. And then they would see the power of memes.

Barbados gave an interesting speech. A fairly good move on his part. He asked people to agree with him on some obvious question, thus creating a connection people would be afraid to break. Normally DANK would avoid falling into traps like that, but in this case it may make more sense to stand first.

DANK stood.

Tense is hard when roleplaying, but I'm gonna stop worrying about it and just do whatever.

Caeli closed her eyes and felt herself momentarily disperse as Baalhan's sword enveloped the room in piercing azure light. In her form as air, she moved quickly through the room, getting a better look at who had assembled so far. Plenty were ancient and venerable - her equals in age or even greater. Others were less so, and a few looked young as newborn kittens. She reformed in her earlier seat and began braiding a small section of her hair while the rest stirred softly around her shoulders.

Sij Hawm spoke calmly but their voice carried the weight of eternity. She knew there were compelling reasons for both courses of action, and both had their own list of potential entertainments. Caeli had no intention of dying, and if what Barbados said was true, this organization had already killed more than one god. Killed a god. It was the stuff of nonsense, of faerie tales. Mortals did not kill gods - gods killed one another, or more often, simply left, or faded away, or went into a long sleep. She had seen pantheons rise and fall, but always by their own hand. Humans did not kill gods.

"Your impatience does you a discredit, Barbados," Caeli said. "You claim that you are losing, and yet you wish us to bind ourselves to you. The deaths of two immortals cannot go without investigation - or at least caution. And I know some of you are far fonder of your temples than one such as I. But I will not oath myself into a cage to be delivered neatly into the hands of our hunters. There is no victory without strategy - surely you know this better than any, Baalhan."

She turned to the god, who had risen to his feet. The oath seemed to have exhausted him for the moment. "You support this coalition, yet it is already failing. You have blessed many mortals, but how does that power work on us? Can you not simply curse our enemies instead? They are weak, frail things that live and die as they laugh. Quickly, and easily, with a little breath and a bit of teeth. What makes these so special?" 

Edited by ZincAboutIt

22 minutes ago, Invocation said:

"I would not say that resume with such confidence. Caesar died, victim to his own friends. Alexander died before he could stabilize his rule. Napoleon died in disgrace. You claim yourself Master of the Battlefields as if time fails to render all battles, combatants and commanders alike, into dust. You seem to have a habit of choosing poorly where to throw your weight." Sij Hawm was almost disappointed. If they could see it, surely someone else could too. Perhaps there would be no deal, but they would gain regardless as the intangible bonds rotted. "I am almost disappointed in you."

I feel no rage toward Sij Hawm his words are as they have always been and yet I am not done. Victory will yet be mine.

"Sij Hawm with whom are they disappointed? It is I who raised them when they called to me. It is not I who took them. Sji Hawm it is known well that their own deeds destroyed them. Alexander and Caesar ceased praying the moment that they got what they wanted. Napolean and his hubris destroyed him. I am no more in control of their foolishness than I can control time. It does indeed reduce all to dust. Am I not he that renders verdict upon the field of war? Do I not grant wisdom to those who fight? I am victory itself this is known!!"

"Caeli you know well that no matter how many I curse more shall rise. I see a battle coming that none may avoid on that day destruction unparalleled since existence began will be set loose. The days when it was enough to act through curses is coming to an end. Gods can be blessed, but only if they so desire. If we fall then what will remain. This realm will vanish and we will be forgotten. They will rule with fists of Iron and by our might."

I turn my head toward her and force a weak smirk onto my face.

"What of you mistress of the air? Will you not do battle as we have done so many times in the past? Will you not return to the mortals the awe that you used to inspire in them? Should they not again call out to you? We will have a strategy this I can promise. I refuse to allow all to end now and to end up enslaved or worse to those who would decide the fate of the gods and this world. Let them fear the winds once more!!"

I let out a roar.

I rise unsteadily to my feet.

Edited by Nathrangking

Just now, Nathrangking said:

Am I not he that renders verdict upon the field of war? Do I not grant wisdom to those who fight? I am victory itself this is known!!"

"You would think, if you were rendering victory, you'd be sure to do so in perpetuity. Perhaps, though, that is beyond your power. The only thing known is that you have difficulties committing fully before withdrawing and letting your favored become clay. You haven't even the power to stand up after a minor display. Perhaps granting true victory is also beyond your meagre power."

With this, Sij Hawm turned their attention to Barbados, the one who, in foolishness, had called them here. "You claim that you are losing and yet ask us to bind. You claim that you oppose these godkillers, but you've put us all ripe on a platter for them. You ask us to swear an oath, to bond ourselves together, to potentially ruin us for all time, without a thought to the consequences. You are ever shortsighted, Barbados. If you have nothing to add that would convince me, I will refuse this bond myself, though my witness stands, and while I may follow your foolish cadre, it will only be to carry word of what happened so that others who would try this know there is only one path to victory over any godhunters: sit and wait. What is time to us? Have you no bastions of relief? Have you no fortresses? Have you nowhere to go? Do not ask us to share your fate brought on by lack of plans if so, and instead learn from it before it is too late. You have one more chance. 

"Convince me."

And just like that we've all fallen into the Olympian bickering trap.
Also, apologies for Sij Hawm's behavior, but I will not break character.

3 minutes ago, Invocation said:

"You would think, if you were rendering victory, you'd be sure to do so in perpetuity. Perhaps, though, that is beyond your power. The only thing known is that you have difficulties committing fully before withdrawing and letting your favored become clay. You haven't even the power to stand up after a minor display. Perhaps granting true victory is also beyond your meagre power."

"Am I he who serves humanity to grant it more than it asks? Would they grant such a boon? I commit to those who call to me and I grant them their request no more no less. True victory were it asked would be granted. As for this weakness, would it not be so if I had created blessings worthy of divinities that would rewrite our fates, that will permeate the whole of the cosmos. and grant us lasting victory if it is accepted and let into each individual being?"

Sangus laughed out loud, watching the others argue among each other. "I do not fear death, nor do I welcome it. It simply is, as I am. I don't fear the God Complex, for if it is wisdom they wish, I shall gladly give it to them. Otherwise, I pose no threat to them. We are here today because of fear, perhaps, but as Sij Hawm has so wisely said: if we wish to defeat these so-called godhunters, all we must do is wait. No, if we are to form a pantheon, we must do it because our cooperation would benefit all of us." 

25 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

"What of you mistress of the air? Will you not do battle as we have done so many times in the past? Will you not return to the mortals the awe that you used to inspire in them? Should they not again call out to you? We will have a strategy this I can promise. I refuse to allow all to end now and to end up enslaved or worse to those who would decide the fate of the gods and this world. Let them fear the winds once more!!"

Caeli laughed and dipped her chin, turning luminous blue-green eyes towards Baalhan. "My my, 'Mistress of the Air' - how long has it been? An age, maybe. Using my old epithets against me, now? A devious trick, which I approve. I don't deny, there is a certain taste to worship that I have missed of late. But I only need pull the air from a man's lungs to remind him of how much he needs me. If I want blood, I can push a young girl off her balcony and fall with her until she paints the ground. If it is fear I want, I will rock the belly of those great mortal inventions that soar my skies, and the ones within will recall that beyond their steel plating lies only air."

The air around her grew colder, and she grinned. "I am no war goddess, no Valkyrie or Morrigan. I seek out what is most fascinating, and there is a certain allure to bloodlust I'll grant you that. But wine can taste just as sweet as blood, if the cupbearer is interesting enough. And there's far more laughter at the victory feast."

"Sangus speaks wisely - as is his custom. I do not oppose a coalition - indeed, Barbados, I don't even oppose a little chaos now and again. Your vendetta sounds interesting, and if there's one thing I hate more than a godhunter, it's boredom. I can help you in this, but I will have no oath laid upon me. I am, after all, the 'Mistress of the Air', and the wind cannot easily be bound."

7 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“What a meeting, right?” He said to her. “I don’t think we’ve had a gathering like this for a while.”

Mizuki looked at the man who just sat down next to her. He looked normal, and he didn't immediately strike her as a bad person. "I don't really know," she hesitantly said. "I'm... kind of new to all of this." She tried to smile. "It does look... impressive, at least."

She watched as the other gods started bickering. A few of them did agree to join up with Barbados, but the others just seemed to argue. It kind of reminded her of some of the old stories she had read as a kid, and she wasn't quite sure what to think about it. They talked about things that had happened centuries in the past as if they weren't more than a year ago, but at the same time they didn't have any of the presence she had expected a god to have, none of the wisdom she'd have expected.

She looked at the man sitting next to her. "Do you think we should join this... pantheon?" She whispered to him. "It sounds useful, but what some of them said did make sense. I mean, I don't want to pick a fight with this God-Complex, and I'm not interested in worshippers or power or that kind of thing. Would they just leave me alone if I didn't do anything?"

8 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Caeli laughed and dipped her chin, turning luminous blue-green eyes towards Baalhan. "My my, 'Mistress of the Air' - how long has it been? An age, maybe. Using my old epithets against me, now? A devious trick, which I approve. I don't deny, there is a certain taste to worship that I have missed of late. But I only need pull the air from a man's lungs to remind him of how much he needs me. If I want blood, I can push a young girl off her balcony and fall with her until she paints the ground. If it is fear I want, I will rock the belly of those great mortal inventions that soar my skies, and the ones within will recall that beyond their steel plating lies only air."

The air around her grew colder, and she grinned. "I am no war goddess, no Valkyrie or Morrigan. I seek out what is most fascinating, and there is a certain allure to bloodlust I'll grant you that. But wine can taste just as sweet as blood, if the cupbearer is interesting enough. And there's far more laughter at the victory feast."

"Sangus speaks wisely - as is his custom. I do not oppose a coalition - indeed, Barbados, I don't even oppose a little chaos now and again. Your vendetta sounds interesting, and if there's one thing I hate more than a godhunter, it's boredom. I can help you in this, but I will have no oath laid upon me. I am, after all, the 'Mistress of the Air', and the wind cannot easily be bound."

I turn back toward her the golden glow in my eyes returning to normal. What a fool I have been. For a moment I acted as a young godling just coming into their powers. There is little excuse for my impetuousness. 

"Caeli both you and Sangus have spoken with more wisdom than I. There is little excuse for my impetuousness. I acted as a young godling just coming into their powers. Simply vowing to enter a Pantheon which not even born and already falling from within."

@Invocation, @ZincAboutIt, @Darth Woodrack

Turn toward Sij Hawm for a moment and nods in respect.

"I needed the reminder of the fate of the last Pantheon which I had been a member of."

I  turn toward Barbados. 

"Should you accept my blessing it is yours to hold. I am willing to fight alongside you in the coming war, however War will not be caged again. Gilgamesh and Uruk left me disgusted with divine squabbles I left them after my counsel was rejected time and again. I shed a tear that day, but I knew that they had destroyed themselves. It took a bit of reminding, but I never wish to make such a mistake again. If it can be proven that this will stand prouder and stronger than Uruk then I will truly consider the fullest extent of your proposal. For now I will fight alongside you and aid you should you desire that I do so, but not more."

Edited by Nathrangking

It seems to me as though the newer gods or those with lots of vested interest in humanity/many temples, etc, would be well served in formally joining the Pantheon. It makes sense for the older ones to wait before binding in formally, but I assume they will eventually do so slightly later into the plot once stakes are raised or a more concrete solution presents itself in terms of dealing with the enemy.

11 hours ago, Darth Woodrack said:

"And Sij, why would I do that? Yes, you are powerful, but your beliefs make you a liability. Quite simply, I do not care if you join or not. You may leave."

"My beliefs are not what is a liability here. You ask us to join you, professing that you are losing, without a word for how you expect us to turn that around or what proof you have that we can. You have not offered information enough to prove that this Complex is the one killing the gods, much less how or why. You are playing at things you haven't planned for. Give us something at least." Sij Hawm was almost tempted to take that offer to leave, but they had made the trip and might as well offer a concrete olive branch.