Elsecallers Most Powerful Ability

Nellac

So, I'm rereading WoR and something struck me from Lift's chapter.  Windle mentions that the reason he believes Lift can turn food straight into stormlight is because she is partially in the cognitive realm. Now that got me thinking. Could an Elsecaller do something similar? They are the one's closest to shadesmar because of their abilities so maybe they can, maybe just temporarily, move part of themselves into the cognitive realm so they can get a similar affect. Perhaps is the Elsecaller's resonance. Just a thought I figured I'd throw out here to see if others have had similar thoughts or could build upon/disprove this theory.

11 minutes ago, Nellac said:

Windle mentions that the reason he believes Lift can turn food straight into stormlight is because she is partially in the cognitive realm

Lift is unique(I think we have quite a bit of confirmation that who she is and what she does is super weird).  I think Jasnah would know if she could do that.  Also Elsecalling sort of creates an astral body.  Your physical body does not go through.  Good theory though.

Just now, Invocation said:

No? Lightweavers can project a sort-of astral body into the Cognitive, but Jasnah and presumably other Elsecallers can go there entirely, Physical body and all.

Yeah but that simultaneous sort of thing that Lift seems to have.  An Elsecaller can use transformation to astral body or transportation to move but I am not sure how they could do both at once.

Just now, Karger said:

Yeah but that simultaneous sort of thing that Lift seems to have.  An Elsecaller can use transformation to astral body or transportation to move but I am not sure how they could do both at once.

Oh, my bad, I misunderstood. 

I do agree that Lift is a special case, though. Most of what Cultivation meddles with tends to be an exception to something.

This does make me wonder, since an Elsecaller can both peer into, and fully enter the cognitive realm, could they do the same in reverse? As in fully enter the cognitive realm, and then peer into the physical? I know they can manifest the physical in the cognitive, but could they "spy" from the cognitive realm, and if so, how would that look?

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

This does make me wonder, since an Elsecaller can both peer into, and fully enter the cognitive realm, could they do the same in reverse? As in fully enter the cognitive realm, and then peer into the physical? I know they can manifest the physical in the cognitive, but could they "spy" from the cognitive realm, and if so, how would that look?

Isn't the CR a reflection of the PR?  Shouldn't you be able to get all of the necessary information while just in the CR?

2 hours ago, Karger said:

Isn't the CR a reflection of the PR?  Shouldn't you be able to get all of the necessary information while just in the CR?

Someone in the CR (to the best of my recollection), cannot hear, nor see what is going on in the physical realm. They see flames that represent people, and stones that represent things. If that person touches the flame, they get an impression of the person, but still not what that person is doing or saying. They can come to some conclusions (such as Shallan having known that the men were on the deck, and putting two and two together that the sailors were being killed due to their flames being extinguished), but although that is informative, it is not full "spying" that I was referring to. I am wondering if someone can from the CR take a peak at what is happening in the physical, and if they can, do they make a reverse "investiture bubble" representing themselves like when they are in the physical peering into the cognitive? These are the things I was wondering lol. 

59 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Someone in the CR (to the best of my recollection), cannot hear, nor see what is going on in the physical realm. They see flames that represent people, and stones that represent things. If that person touches the flame, they get an impression of the person, but still not what that person is doing or saying. They can come to some conclusions (such as Shallan having known that the men were on the deck, and putting two and two together that the sailors were being killed due to their flames being extinguished), but although that is informative, it is not full "spying" that I was referring to. I am wondering if someone can from the CR take a peak at what is happening in the physical, and if they can, do they make a reverse "investiture bubble" representing themselves like when they are in the physical peering into the cognitive? These are the things I was wondering lol. 

It seems pretty obviously possible just because the reverse is also possible but I don't think any of the surges will get you there.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:48 PM, Nellac said:

So, I'm rereading WoR and something struck me from Lift's chapter.  Windle mentions that the reason he believes Lift can turn food straight into stormlight is because she is partially in the cognitive realm. Now that got me thinking. Could an Elsecaller do something similar? They are the one's closest to shadesmar because of their abilities so maybe they can, maybe just temporarily, move part of themselves into the cognitive realm so they can get a similar affect. Perhaps is the Elsecaller's resonance. Just a thought I figured I'd throw out here to see if others have had similar thoughts or could build upon/disprove this theory.

No, I thought that was Wyndle's speculation as to why Lift was able to see and touch his mostly-cognitive "vines" and climb on them in the Physical Realm ("Somehow, you are partly in the Cognitive Realm... it is the only answer I can find to why you can touch spren"). He then remarks on her ability to metabolize food directly into Stormlight (Investiture) as yet another weird thing about her.

Her being "partly in the CR" surely also has to do with her "not aging" and being able to dance in and out of the Stormfather's visions for Dalinar (as she does when she pops in uninvited to his session with Gawx/Yanagawn, and is even able to take him with her to exit it when she wants to).

Do we know if Lift had this done to her by the Nightwatcher before or after bonding Wyndle?

Edited by robardin

15 minutes ago, robardin said:

Do we know if Lift had this done to her by the Nightwatcher before or after bonding Wyndle?

It was after she visited the Nightwatcher. Wyndle was assigned to her because she of her having been changed by Cultivation, as Wyndle said at the  beginnig of the Lift interlude:

"(...) But no, the Ring said we should choose you. 'She has visited the Old Magic', they said. 'She will be young and we can mold her', they said. (...)"

Edited by Elegy

3 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Soulcasting. You can make a smoke cloud in your shape.

You could make a smoke cloud in your shape but it would have the understanding of a smoke cloud and also the same senses as a smoke cloud which is not going to do the job.

• Chaos locked this topic