From Brandon to Arcanum

Elsecaller_17.5

Pretty simply how does it work? A big part of my curiosity is that I asked several (more than was fair) questions at a signing and was shocked to see them pop up on the site a couple months later.

Edit: and while I'm here what's the best way to get informed of upcoming events. Cause I totally would have driven to Provo Saturday if I'd had known it was going on.

Edited by Elsecaller_17.5

11 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Edit: and while I'm here what's the best way to get informed of upcoming events. Cause I totally would have driven to Provo Saturday if I'd had known it was going on.

Honestly just checking this thread (events and signings) every few days will keep you more then up to date on future signings.

11 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Pretty simply how does it work? A big part of my curiosity is that I asked several (more than was fair) questions at a signing and was shocked to see them pop up on the site a couple months later.

Someone from the community records the audio and uploads it then other people take it and transcribe it.

Edited by Karger

If you poke around through the other threads in the Events and Signing subforum, you'll often see coordination about who's going to be bringing a recorder to an event to record Brandon's speeches, panels, and signing lines. (Sometimes, the coordination happens through Discord or Reddit, or a lurker just does it without posting about it.) Some of us have actual recording devices; others just use their phone. It's not something official that Brandon's employees do; it's completely fan-organized, so it doesn't happen at every signing. But the next time you're at a signing, take a look at the table Brandon's signing at; you may see someone's recording device.

Way back in the day, people who recorded would either transcribe the audio themselves, or they'd post it online via Google Drive or something similar, and others would transcribe in a thread or in a Google Doc. Arcanum (which is still a relatively new website, in the grand scheme of things) was designed to centralize all that; fans can upload their audio directly to the site, and there are pages that make it specifically easy to transcribe one WoB at a time.

As to how to know when an event is coming up, someone usually posts a thread about an upcoming event in this subforum. But not always; there's no LTUE 2020 thread, which is the event you're asking about. I think this was a late announcement; at least, I didn't know anything about it until, like, a day before. Brandon has a page on his website where he lists upcoming events, which you can periodically check: https://www.brandonsanderson.com/upcoming-events/. But it's only as good as it's maintained; Brandon will be at a convention in April in California, but I don't see it on that page yet. You can sign up for Brandon's newsletter; you have an option to say where you live, and you'll get emails when Brandon is doing a signing near you. (But I don't live in Utah, so I don't know if one went out for LTUE or not.) But the best way I've found is to follow Brandon on Twitter. (Facebook and Instagram probably work well, too). That's how I eventually saw LTUE, and that's how I saw YALLFEST (which is the event in April). The only best option would be to hack his computer and find his schedule, but if you can do that, I've got a few other favors to ask you.