Why do surges come in twos?

Frustration

There are ten surges, and ten Orders, yet each order has access to two of them. Why do they link up like this, wouldn't there need to be an Order for each possible combination of surges?

Or is it like in Mistborn

Spoiler

The Pushing and Pulling metal variants

Any answers?

Yep, it is a natural outgrowth like with the metals

Khyrindor (paraphrased)

Do the Honorblades reflect the natural pairing of Surges, or did Honor decide which Surge pair to put in each Blade?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

The pairs are natural to Roshar in the same way as the metals on Scadrial.

When Worlds Collide 2014 (Aug. 9, 2014)

2 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Khyrindor (paraphrased)

Do the Honorblades reflect the natural pairing of Surges, or did Honor decide which Surge pair to put in each Blade?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

Khyrindor (paraphrased)

I wonder what it was like on Ashyn?

I mean, 'it's natural outgrowth' strikes me as a kind of incomplete answer; it leaves the issue of why those particular pairs are the natural ones, when surely fundamental forces should be able to combine in any way they want.

But it's entirely possible that there isn't a particularly good answer to that version of the question; that that's like questioning why specific alloys are the 'correct' Allomantic ones. 

56 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

I mean, 'it's natural outgrowth' strikes me as a kind of incomplete answer; it leaves the issue of why those particular pairs are the natural ones, when surely fundamental forces should be able to combine in any way they want.

But it's entirely possible that there isn't a particularly good answer to that version of the question; that that's like questioning why specific alloys are the 'correct' Allomantic ones. 

At a certain point things just are the way they are. 

6 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

Anyway, I doubt you'd get sick and get access to 2 surges. It had to be different in some way

Time for a serious answer: Ashyn Surges seemed a lot more focused. More like gaining a specific ability than an entire Surge's worth. At least that's what I'm seeing from what I know of Ashyn, which isn't that much given the circumstances.. 

57 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Time for a serious answer: Ashyn Surges seemed a lot more focused. More like gaining a specific ability than an entire Surge's worth. At least that's what I'm seeing from what I know of Ashyn, which isn't that much given the circumstances.. 

Did you read the Silence Divine Sample?

7 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Yeah that's the not much.

"In one room he passed, the occupant, a young man, hovered in the air reading a book; and in another, an elderly woman tapped on a cup, idly changing the color of its liquid inside with each tap. In <Suigmaat>, indeed upon on this entire land, every disease also granted a special capacity. That ability lasted as long as the ailment did. Many of these blessings were minor, while others were grand. Some few were very, very dangerous. And hence the existence of the Incubators themselves."

It seems they had precursors of Transformation and Gravitation.

they seem far less constrained in what they can do with their powers.

they probably couldn't control them all that well either. 

they could probably use their ability as much as they want, with no need for stormlight and thats what lead to the planet burning

some diseases stay with you for life but go dormant. I wonder if this had anything to do with it.

Edited by Eternal Khol

2 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

special capacity.

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

Ashyn Surges seemed a lot more focused.

I'm not surprised they had manifestations of the same Surges Roshar experiences, since they're both coming from the same source. I believe the constraints (or lack of constraints) has something to do with the lack of spren guidance. Syl talks about how Szeth is worse than a Radiant because he has no spren to guide him, and this could be something similar. No two-way sapience to hold back planet-crushing abilities, no Oaths to break to cut the flow. Broad but shallow vs narrow but deep seems to be Roshar vs Ashyn Surges. 

I just realized this is off-topic, though. Whoops.

2 minutes ago, Invocation said:

I'm not surprised they had manifestations of the same Surges Roshar experiences, since they're both coming from the same source. I believe the constraints (or lack of constraints) has something to do with the lack of spren guidance. Syl talks about how Szeth is worse than a Radiant because he has no spren to guide him, and this could be something similar. No two-way sapience to hold back planet-crushing abilities, no Oaths to break to cut the flow. Broad but shallow vs narrow but deep seems to be Roshar vs Ashyn Surges. 

I just realized this is off-topic, though. Whoops.

Thats my thought too.

Which two powers they get is as @Pathfinder said a natural pairing. 

I think the reason Knight's Radiant get two is because they are accessing the magic through two shards Honor & Cultivation. The Fused only seem to have one power each because they are accessing it through 1 shard, Odium.  

All KR Spren are a mix of both Honor and Cultivation's investiture. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/253/#e6454

Fused aren't gaining access through a spren, but through the investiture that modified them into Cognitive Shadows.(Odium's investiture).  https://wob.coppermind.net/events/362/#e11156

Now none of this is necessarily applicable to other Cosmere settings, but it seems to be the way magic on Roshar works. 

• Chaos locked this topic